Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Re the trespassing issue: if you find a rider without a permit on the trail, explain to him/her that they are trespassing. If the same person is found trespassing again, institute action by having him charged with trespassing in the local court. I realize that it will involve some red tape and time, but it will soon get the message out.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without keeping records, you will not know if it is a repeat offender.

Only solution will be for landowners (I think only the owner can take legal action) to stop riders at random and check permits. Anybody found without a permit should be charged with trespassing, irrespective if it is a "first offence".

Will be sad if it is needed to resort this, but I do not see any other effective way of policing the trails.

In the mean time all legal riders should politely inform the free-loaders that a permit is required.

Also point out that riding without a permit puts the rider at risk of being charged with trespassing and could lead to the permanent closure of the trail.

Went for another ride yesterday from Middelvlei. Was there at 9 and all was closed, which meant that we could not pay. Am not sure if this is a general problem but it does cause some to ride without permits. We did, however, pay when we were finished.... and thanks to the owner had some very cold Windhoeks afterwards!

I just have one massive concern and this was also reported to the owner at Middelvlei. As we were heading back towards Middelvlei at the end of the ride, we took the Yellow loop that goes back up towards a small dam with some pine trees around it. Two of us were ahead with a third slightly behind. As we came around a corner at the dam two very suspicious characters (one under 18) came walking down the path; one with a long nose pistol and the other with a rifle. They did not even worry about concealing the weapons. Still not sure what they were up to and at no time did they threaten or confront us. Just found it quite unnerving....

Cannot recall if there is, but a Info board at all the entrances informing peeps that it is compulsory to have the permits BEFORE starting the ride, etc should go some way to address the problem.

Went for another ride yesterday from Middelvlei. Was there at 9 and all was closed, which meant that we could not pay. Am not sure if this is a general problem but it does cause some to ride without permits. We did, however, pay when we were finished.... and thanks to the owner had some very cold Windhoeks afterwards!

I just have one massive concern and this was also reported to the owner at Middelvlei. As we were heading back towards Middelvlei at the end of the ride, we took the Yellow loop that goes back up towards a small dam with some pine trees around it. Two of us were ahead with a third slightly behind. As we came around a corner at the dam two very suspicious characters (one under 18) came walking down the path; one with a long nose pistol and the other with a rifle. They did not even worry about concealing the weapons. Still not sure what they were up to and at no time did they threaten or confront us. Just found it quite unnerving....

Hi slabs

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, riders have to purchase permits before they ride but in your case you couldn't. Thanks for doing so afterwards though. Middelvlei are open from 8am over weekends for permit sales and they did not inform us that they were going to be closed. So I have no idea why they were not open but will enquire about it.

As for the "characters" you came across .... will enquire about that as well. Have sent you a pm for more detail.

Cannot recall if there is, but a Info board at all the entrances informing peeps that it is compulsory to have the permits BEFORE starting the ride, etc should go some way to address the problem.

i was there at 8 nobody there. the guy in thecellar foned some guy and he told us to ride and pay when we came back.i got back9.30 and they were still closed .They opened at 9.40 , the guy told us that the person was sick,but in future we must ride and come and pay later

Thanks for the info berry. Tough for us to fill the gap if someone calls in sick on the day. Hopefully a rare occurance.

Thanks to Alex and John for letting us know about the vandalized signage on the Hazendal link. Sorted it this morning.

Good to see people braving the chilly weather to get a ride in, even if the rain came earlier than expected and we all got soaked. But rain and all it was still lekka to be out there.

I used the trails to ride home after work on Thursday and then to work on Friday and it was great! About 50km one way of which half is MTB trails.

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon, if someone cannot produce a permit, then confiscate the bike and release on payment of a fine. Will serve the bugger right to have to walk all the way back to their car. TOUGH LOVE man TOUGH LOVE

I reckon, if someone cannot produce a permit, then confiscate the bike and release on payment of a fine. Will serve the bugger right to have to walk all the way back to their car. TOUGH LOVE man TOUGH LOVE

You just cannot confiscate property but since the culprit is trespassing there are other legal options

Yeah, since he is trespassing, same like poaching no permit = no catch, hence no permit = no ride

We put in a shortcut between the Green Loop and Red Route for riders wanting to reach the Red Route without cycling to the top of the Green Loop. Coming up the Green Loop from Hazendal side there's a long climb along a fence. At the top of the climb there's a right hand bend, on this bend is a sign directing you LEFT to the shorcut. Follow the PINK arrows to link up with the Red Route. Will have a map of it up on the site later. Enjoy !

Lost my way on the blue route today. I got to the top (at the substation/cell tower) and was presented with 2 options and no signs. Where did I go wrong?

Lost my way on the blue route today. I got to the top (at the substation/cell tower) and was presented with 2 options and no signs. Where did I go wrong?

Hi Musashi

Could you possibly indicate on the route map where you are referring to. Take a screenshot of the "blue loop out of red route" map and paste in Microsoft "Paint" http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/?page_id=435

Make a mark where you got lost so we can take a look. Send it to info@bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za

Edited by Hellwarp