New Silverback Frames

linton

Geesh! I googled "Smegma" before reading further. Thanks for the afternoon's gross-out! :blink:

Holy moley! DO NOT GOOGLE "smegma".

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first bike was a 2009 Silverback. Never had any problems.

Maybe a lot of people out there still have negative connotations about the brand based on what they experienced when it started in 2005 (or there about). The bikes have come a long way since then.

Back on topic - I've never heard of any issues with Silverback frames, but I have heard plenty of stories about frames cracking from more reputable brands such as Mongoose and Scott. Not too say that there's anything wrong with those brands, but it may be worthwhile to check for problems with the specific Silverback frame you're looking at.

I'm curious. Did anyone see any Silverbacks at the Epic this year?

Some events log what bike you ride in their database. It would be interesting to see the stats sometime. That in itself will tell you what works in extreme conditions.

Just this sunday i took my 2010 silverback to groenkloof, and there was a 35 year old smarty pnts on his expensive S-WORKS, full sus (I got a hardtail). And i ate him for breakfast.. So does a certain floor in geometry make such a difference?? i dont think so!

ITS ALL IN THE LEGS.

I know of two bike GOOD bike shop owners in CT who have tried out the new Silverback 29'er Hartails and they were both very impressed with the ride quality.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Silverback - got a Ventura specced with Rockshox, Deore and XT for under R8000 people - after months of research I could not find a single bike specced even near the Silverback for under 10K. They are very very awesome! Geometry is different yes, they start at 15.5" S, 17.5"M and so on, but that wasn't deterring me! Bike shops tend to promote only one or two brands, and the chances of getting an objective opinion is zero. Tell them you have so much cash and they should come up with as many suggestions as they can...gives them a challenge and you value for money! Insist on specs, coz loads of them hide poorly specced brand names like GT with huge pricing :clap:

I'm curious. Did anyone see any Silverbacks at the Epic this year?

Some events log what bike you ride in their database. It would be interesting to see the stats sometime. That in itself will tell you what works in extreme conditions.

A mate of mine rode the Segma 29er at the Epic this year. Decent bike - XT components, Stans ZTR Arch rims. Brilliant value for money.

WRT the potential badmouthing - quite possible that the reason is due to them not having agency agreements in place, and therefore not wanting to get you to buy one. In addition, they might just be snobs that see the name "silverback" and promptly rush for the nearest loo for a good chunda. Kinda like the okes who buy a Lexus and insist that it is NOT a Toyota.

try "felching" for a true gross-out...

If there was a "throw-up" emoticon I would use that now. :blink: