Polar RS 800CX VS Garmin 310xt

George Nel

Hi guys and girls,

I've got the Polar watch and considering the Garmin for no reason really.

Any of your personal experience with the 2 products will be very welcome.is the Garmin as good a training tool as the Polar?

cheers

Edited by sam fisher

AS FOR WHAT I KNOW IS THAT ARE BOTH FOR MULTI SPORTS, AND BOTH ARE TOP OF THE RANGE IN EA BRAND...

I don't have either of the products, but one of my friends has the Garmin. It is really a nice HRM to have with everything you need. The only drawback would be that you have to recharge the battery. And as far as I know it is not so with the Polar.

interesting topic. About to splurge on the 310 XT as there were a couple of things about the polar setup that didnt rub me up the right way..

wheres cptmayhem. The man is a Believer when it comes to the 310 ;)

somewhere on the interwibbles .. oh yes dcrainmaker. a tri-junkie who does some fantastic reviews..

If you browse the forums, the thing going for the Polar apparently is the training tools and functionality. Garmin has its own but Polar can be set up to very specific goals and training programs e.g. set intervals etc.

The Polar is a "multisport watch as long as you have the necessary sensors (different for bike and run)which also adds to the price tag quite a bit, while the Garmin can be used on whichever mode of transport you choose. The Polar GPS is very poor compared to the Garmin, it is very bulky and needs to be strapped to your arm or similar, and battery lasts approximately 10 hours, and cannot be recharged.

Rant over.

So, if you have the Polar and you are happy with it, the Garmin will probably offer the same. If you have none and need to choose one - I'd get the Garmin.

If you browse the forums, the thing going for the Polar apparently is the training tools and functionality. Garmin has its own but Polar can be set up to very specific goals and training programs e.g. set intervals etc.

The Polar is a "multisport watch as long as you have the necessary sensors (different for bike and run)which also adds to the price tag quite a bit, while the Garmin can be used on whichever mode of transport you choose. The Polar GPS is very poor compared to the Garmin, it is very bulky and needs to be strapped to your arm or similar, and battery lasts approximately 10 hours, and cannot be recharged.

Rant over.

So, if you have the Polar and you are happy with it, the Garmin will probably offer the same. If you have none and need to choose one - I'd get the Garmin.

Anything but polar, their current products to flimsy and their support currently sucks, I went suunto and did not look back.

I've got the 310XT and used it at Ironman. It's an awesome multisport watch but the software that comes with it, Garmin Training Centre, is crap. Garmin Connect is a ot better but I've converted over to SportTracks whihc is an independent piece of software. Find DCRainmaker's review as it covers everything.

Do you need the speed sensor or does it use the gps for distance(garmin)?

I really love the Polar,it's been good to me,but feel that I need a change.Going to order a Garmin!

The garmin will use the gps to calculate speed and distance unless your're using a speed/cadence sensor for cycling or a foot pod for running.

So,I got the Garmin,but the software is useless!!!!!Cant transfer my inteval programmes from Training centre to the device,useless!!!!!

what must I do,tried everything