Sun Ringle country flea vs Hope pro 2 hubs

wapad

looking to build a 29 wheelset going with crest rims but was wondering about the hub choice

the obvious hub choice would be the hopes but what about Sun ringle country flea hubs any inputs ito backup, common breakages etc

if weight is an issue I am just under 100kg ..

Just built the arch rims with hope pro 2 hubs - can't comment on the sun ringle but hope are awesome, loud when free wheeling but I like that

I'd avoid the Sun Ringle hub, unless you already own it. I recently had to replace a part on one of those hubs for a customer and it cost R870-00. This is half the price of a Hope hub.

I would also consider getting a heavier rim. Lots of rim manufacturers state weight limits for rims. However, these limits are pretty useless and one has to take practicality into consideration.

To ensure a wheel that doesn't loosen spokes, you have to crank up the spoke tension. If the rim is lightweight, far fewer spokes support the load (a lightweight rim deforms locally more than a heavy rim that deforms over a large span) and thus have to be extremely tight. This leads to fatigue problems in the medium term and spoke holes that crack.

I know everybody wants to have the lightest wheels possible, but sometimes these are not practical. It depends on their purpose too. If you want to participate in the Freedom Challenge and want to complete, don't play weight games. If you ride some one-day races, take the risk.

I see that 29er bike companies are now spec'ing 36-spoke wheels on their 29ers. This makes a lot of sense.

I am on my second pair of hopes...not that the first set needed replacement(second bike), I will not consider anything else to be totally honest.

Hope Hubs are the business. I have had 2 sets and apart from riding over a landmine they are bullet proof. Check CWC for prices. I got my last set from him for a good price. He normally has most of the colours available as well. Enjoy the rims I have the same set and 100% happy.

I'm also building up a set of 29r wheels.

Going with the new hope pro 2 evo hubs and crest rims.

What I wouldn't give for a set of pro 2 evo SP hubs!