Dunlop Epic at Game

phlat

Hey all

I'm looking to get a new bike since the one I'm using now is getting quite small. I started looking around and found the Dunlop Epic 26" at Game. I've got a few questions about this. At R900 its considerably cheaper than most other bikes I've seen on the web, especially a dual suspension. I also couldn't find a Dunlop bicycle page, is that weird? Gathering from most of the comments on this site, most people here cycle in competitions or specifically for past-times/fun. I primarily ride my bike to varsity although I wouldn't mind trying out some trails - I just heard about one at Groenkloof. Anyway, this bike seems a steal at that price but have no idea if thats a decent investment, compared to normal ~R3000 hardtail entry-level mtbs. Also, they say its 26", thats not actually the size of the frame/bike, is it? Isn't that just the wheels?

Any opinions are welcome regarding this bike or any recommendations regarding buying a bike on a tight budget.

Jho man, I wouldn't opt for something like that, that shock and fork won't help with any bumps, aswell as the drivetrain.

It's ok for varsity, but so is a rigid bike.

Recommendation: post a wanted add on thehub with your max budget, you never know what might pop up!

Thumbs up for wanting to try out mountainbiking, you'll love it

um.. i would stay clear of that bike..

its a cheap china import. steal frame, suspension not worth is, componets from the ark, all steel. having not looked at the bike let me assume the rims are the chromed type?

rather save a bit and get a cheap ali framed bike.. something like a giant boulder. it will last, can take punishment and wont be needing a fix every other weekend.

as to the 26 inch yes that refers to the wheel size.. thoses dunlops bike pretty much come in one frame size..

Haha, its sounding like that bike is a serious insult to cyclists. Anyway, in my search for a decent low-budget bike, I've come across perhaps a more respected name in bicycles. What do you guys think of the Raleigh Elevation range (3.0, 2.0 or FS)?

When we were children any bike was fine,like your first car!!

Buying a bike is a expensive excercise if you want to enjoy it,buy a decent bike from a reputable bike shop,yes it sounds like they are trying to rape you of your money but they do know what they are talking about.

You wonder were I get my opinion from well i also thought I knew better and in 4 months of cycling I am now on my second bike cause the first one was a cheap bike,the second one a decent bike and what a differance!!

SPEND THE MONEY OR TAKE A LOAN,look after the bike and you will have years of pleasure,unless the cycling bug bites in which case you will be making a second loan!!

Phlat

Without trying to rain on your parade, at your price point you should definitely not look at buying a dual suspension bike.

You will even struggle to find a good deal in a hardtail, and the additional compromise to fit a rear shock, linkages, bushes etc. for rear suspension means everything else will be commensurately worse.

Agreed on everything said so far, EXCEPT taking a loan to buy a bike. Borrowing money to buy something is a bad idea in the first place in general, but doing so for a bike is probably the worst thing you can do. Bikes depreciate quicker than Malema's latest comment, so don't go there.

Look at a 2nd-hand hardtail, don't buy new. BUT, get someone who knows their stuff to check it out for you, otherwise you could be in for a world of trouble (no more than buying the Dunlop though!)

I'd say look at spending R1500-R2000 on a 2nd-hand bike like a Giant Boulder (already mentioned) or something from the Silverback range. It'll take a while to track one down, but be patient, it's worth it :thumbup:

Another bit of advice - steer clear of anything, and I mean ANYTHING - that gets sold in any one of the below-mentioned stores...

Game

Makro

Hyperama

PnP Hyper

Trade Centre

Midas

Those bikes will break after one session offroad. A mate of mine won a Dunlop "Full Suspension" ride, and rode it in his first MTB race as a sh1ts and giggles exercise. His nick here is Donkey, and some might know him personally. He's a pretty alright cyclist, by any stretch of the imagination. Won a couple of Hillclimbs, raced in the Giro as well as starts in $ in all road races.

He finished last, with a bike that ended up with no rear derailleur, a shattered Bottom Bracket and brakes that didnt work.

Rather spend your money on an old Giant, Trek, Kona or similar MTB (hardtail) It'll last a helluva lot longer than anything bought in Makro, and will give you endless smiles...

LOL

For Once I dont think anyone is going to Argue with you Johan

Hell, I am. Johan is wrong. Totally wrong. His assumption was based upon no market experience, and the fact that his saddle is yellow.

The bike in question is not crap. It is undoubtedly the deepest brand of bottom-dwelling pond-scum. It is the **** on my shovel. It is that cholesterol that clogs my veins. It is death.

Guest agteros

Hell, I am. Johan is wrong. Totally wrong. His assumption was based upon no market experience, and the fact that his saddle is yellow.

The bike in question is not crap. It is undoubtedly the deepest brand of bottom-dwelling pond-scum. It is the **** on my shovel. It is that cholesterol that clogs my veins. It is death.

What a lot of words for crap

Those bikes will break after one session offroad. A mate of mine won a Dunlop "Full Suspension" ride, and rode it in his first MTB race as a sh1ts and giggles exercise. His nick here is Donkey, and some might know him personally. He's a pretty alright cyclist, by any stretch of the imagination. Won a couple of Hillclimbs, raced in the Giro as well as starts in $ in all road races.

He finished last, with a bike that ended up with no rear derailleur, a shattered Bottom Bracket and brakes that didnt work.

That was a classic thread 2yrs back, it was the Franschoek MTB race.