WTB WeirWolf UST 2.3

Well, my previous tire suffered an irrepairable blowout a few months back, and I needed to find a capable replacement, that wouldn't wash out under pressure, would hold the trail very well on both hardpack and loose, as well as loose loamy stuff (I'm talking Tokai here) and would give me a reasonable life-span for the price.

The options were as follows (all UST, all similar pricing including VAT for CRC orders)

Conti Mtn King 2.4 (most expensive)

Kenda Nevegal 2.3

WTB Wolverine 2.3 (replacement for blown tire; cheapest)

WTB Weirwolf 2.3

The Conti, though being a front-runner in the beginning, was a little too narrow in profile for the riding I like to do, as well as the pressures I like to run up front. Even though this is by all means a VERY capable performer in all conditions, the profile size was a major contributor to me deciding not to go for it. That, and the fact that nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE, stocked the tire in anything but 26" 2.2 or 29" 2.4. Both of which were useless to me. CRC did, of course, stock the tire. But I wasn't willing to go there just yet.

The Kenda was the next logical choice. Big, reasonably spaced knobs would have guaranteed great grip in the twisty stuff, and the stick-e rubber was a big drawcard. However, I thought that the knobs were slightly too prominent, and had no discernible profile to them other than being straight up & down. In other words, they would grip. And grip hard. But they would be monstered on the road - not a good thing, seeing as I ride the 10km from my place to Tokai on the local rural passageways, only 50% of which can be bypassed on grass/gravel. In addition, the tread pattern was just too.... bland.... for my taste. Plus, they were touted to have been less than desirable on the hard stuff, owing to the blocky nature of the tread. That, and the tread ends very abruptly on the radii, owing to a potentially lower max lean angle.

The Wolverine was next on the list, seeing as this was the tire that I had on originally. However, the spacing of the tread is very close for a trail-oriented thrashing tire, and I have on occasion pushed it past (what I believe) were its limits while it was on the front. A very capable tire, do not get me wrong, but one I think would be more suitable at the back or on hard-pack only - sort of like a hyped-up Race King would be. The volume was perfect for me, but I had been confronted with the not so attractive washout on occasion. Something that, rather strangely, lended me to place more trust in my previously attached 1.95 IRC Mythos XC when it came to the tricky (and quick) stuff. This tire was still a front-runner, but was still behind the Conti, due to the less than inspiring performance up front.

The last option was the Weirwolf 2.3. This was, at first glance, the most attractive looking tire of the lot. Styled a lot like the old & very capable Velociraptor, the tread is extremely aggressive, albeit more current in its technology with the chamfered tread on the outside, instead of the single triangular knob on the outside that lent the Velociraptor its "take no prisoners" tread pattern. This inspired confidence, as I had previously ridden the Velociraptors on my old Giant ATX 830 that I had in high school. And they were sublime. The only problem with these tires (Weirwolf) is that they are no longer brought in by the agents, and they were only available online via CRC. ***, since I still wanted to support my LBS (EPIC cycles - a TRULY great team)

So it was now down to 2 tires - the MK 2.4 and the Weirwolf 2.3... Off to the current interweb deity I went. Google them I said.

While the 2 both had VERY good reviews, I happened upon the WTB website and had a look at the development video for the new Weirwolf. Watched the whole thing, and was enraptured. The write-ups were amazing - from the UK, AUS, USA and even the continent, there were rave reviews. Add to that the fact that I KNEW that the WTB's categorization of profile / tire width was more generous than CONTI's, I decided to go the route of the Weirwolf 2.3 UST 2011 version. Plus, it looks pretty.

Fast forward 10 weeks, and after a wedding (my own) 6 additional kilo's (all thanks to an all inclusive hotel deal) and the preventative ban from all things potentially bone-breaking (I have a bad history of weddings and broken bones) I took the WTB for its first test drive.

And what a test-drive it was.

This tire, while looking (and feeling) very meaty - rolled over everything as if it were air. Made the front seem as if it were riding on a carpet of pine needles, whilst translating my every input into either a change of direction or the grip that I need so badly. Come to the tricky bits, the pairing of the Wolverine at the back and the Weirwolf at the front seemed to come alive like the fuzzy woodland pairing that they are.

The Weirwolf searched for its prey - the soft, loamy flesh of the trail - whilst remaining true to the human side of the pairing, going exactly where I wanted to go whilst retaining that wild, inane knowledge that it is the king of the trail and as such it knows that which I, a mere mortal, can not fathom. A living, breathing, super-sensory being that can see all and overcome it. Rocks, roots, sand & clay, nothing is its master.

The Wolverine is the strength bringing up the rear. Like its namesake of the Sci-fi world, it is the strength, the never-say-die and the endless determination that you know will never let you down in a tight spot. Bringing up the rear, this tire is just what you need to lay down the smack-down. Too closely-knit to be good up front, the knobs - while at the back - group together and FORCE the trail into submission, keeping the back tracking straight while the front searches, searches, SEARCHES. Then BITES the trail when the smallest amount of traction presents itself, always looking for the next prey while the rear gobbles up the newest offering from the Weirwolf up front.

To sum up - this new tire is all its cracked up to be. A trail warrior. A tire that inspired so much confidence that I, a mere 100kg 28 year old with a gammy knee and more broken bones than I know what to do with, could smash the trail in the fastest, most visceral way I have ever done. And after a 3 month break, I hasten to add.

Would I buy this tire again?

I think the question should, rather be... Why should I buy another?

Edited by cptmayhem

Cap! When the name-change?

And thanks, by the way - it truly is a fantastic tire. Never once did I feel it giving out underneath me, even under (criminally slow) attempts of DH1

Edited by cptmayhem

oh - and if the_wes wants to, he's more than welcome to. Always have wanted to dabble in the written word... And if I help more people shirk from the madness that is Crossmarks, then my deed is done.

Replaced my worn 2.2 Weirwolfs with conti race king and mountain king. Still recon the WTB is a better performing and wearing tyre. You buy them on CRC?

Thanks for this review.

I have just got a set of 2.1 UST and could not find any decent reviews on the tire. All i can remember from the reviews is that said it was a heavy tire.

Edited by Nobody

Replaced my worn 2.2 Weirwolfs with conti race king and mountain king. Still recon the WTB is a better performing and wearing tyre. You buy them on CRC?

Yeah - bought them off CRC as the local distributors aren't bringing them in anymore. Otherwise I would've bought from my LBS

Thanks for this review.

I have just got a set of 2.1 UST and could not find any decent reviews on the tire. All i can remember from the reviews is that said it was a heavy tire.

Surely then you didn't search properly?

The tire is heavy, but not excessively so. After all, it's got a LOT of rubber, and it is a big tire! No weight-saving techniques here, but it rides so well, just floating over everything. I also think that, given that it is classed as an AM tire, it shouldn't be classed in the same area as those tires that shed massive grammage just so that the weight weenies can fit them to their rims... In this case, weight is not a disadvantage. Plus, the Kendas and Mtn Kings aren't exactly "light" themselves, now are they?

Great review and tyre like you mentioned BUT those thing will make you think you are on rails !! Ok nice for most of us but I like to have my rear hangout whenever the trail permits , like the single track at Groenkloof . :drool:

True dat, DR...

although, if you ride "properly" you can throw the back around and still have it railing when you need it. After all, when throwing the back out, your rear is still gripping, albeit at a slightly shallower depth than normal. When the right time comes though, you want it to dig and dig HARD, otherwise you'll carry on going around and then just end up looking like a tit.

Cool review.

I have the Wolverine 29 2.2 front and back and really like the tires. But like you mentioned, something with a bit wider spacing could maybe work better upfront.

Bought mine from Epic in December. Sucks that they don't bring it in anymore.

Cool review.

I have the Wolverine 29 2.2 front and back and really like the tires. But like you mentioned, something with a bit wider spacing could maybe work better upfront.

Bought mine from Epic in December. Sucks that they don't bring it in anymore.

The Wolverine is still brought in - just the Weirwolf that isn't. I know Epic still stocks the Wolverine, as do a number of other places.

The Wolverine is still brought in - just the Weirwolf that isn't.

Wonder what the reasoning behind that could be?

It seems as if there is a "replacement" tire that is coming through, but only insofar as the local distributors are replacing the Weirwolf with the Bronson. It's not a replacement at manufacturer level, but rather local distributor level.

Only thing is - the Bronson is only coming to our shores in a couple of months... and the distributors haven't had stock of the Weirwolf for the past 4 or 5, possibly longer. Not exactly any sort of phase-out strategy, is there?

Great review!

My Silverback Nabraska came with 2.1 Weirwolfs - non UST.

I must say that they handle tons of abuse!

I converted them to tubeless about 600kms ago - and I havent had a single issue...

Tons of rides @ Teak/Groenies and the Spruit...

I highly recommend a set of Weirwolfs!

Great review, I have had the Wolverine my CRC wishlist for the last two months waiting for the list to fill up... man you are going to make me fill up that list with stuff I dont really need now!

Edit: sorry meant Wolverine to go on the front

I currently have wierwolfs on front and back

Edited by Tankman

Great review, I have had the Wolverine my CRC wishlist for the last two months waiting for the list to fill up... man you are going to make me fill up that list with stuff I dont really need now!

Edit: sorry meant Wolverine to go on the front

I currently have wierwolfs on front and back

Stick with the Weirwolf up front, mate. Far more aggressive, and better grip in the tricky stuff. I've got the Weirwolf at the front and the Wolverine at the back, and it's far better than the Wolverine was on both ends!