spoke length for hope pro 2 and crest rims 29er

wapad

I'm going to the UK for a trip so will be getting all the parts for a wheel build looks like I can save a grand or two

what would the spoke length( DT revolutions ) be using a crest 29er rim with Hope hubs still deciding between 12mm anodised nipples and the stock 14mm ones would the spoke length stay the same

also has anyone heard of the anodised nipples being able to work themselves loose

I know there are spoke calculators but relying on some experience

At present out in the wild west so cant just ask a local wheelbuilder

Thanks

Who is going to build the wheel for you?

Perhaps ask them?

(I suggest Kevin @ BMC)

I think DT Revolutions stretch a litte more than Competitions, so they need to be a bit shorter. Dont know by how much though. A PITA to build wheels with apparently.

I am not sure about Alu nipples working loose, but I think they are prone to oxidising and fusing to the rim so that they can be adjusted.

Good luck building 29er wheels with Revo's and alu nipples.

Spoke length remains the same, irrespective of nipple length, unless you're using American Classic nipples.

Nipples work loose because of inadequate spoke tension, not coating type.

Front left - 294,3 Front Right 295,8

Rear left 295,5 Rear Left, 294,6

Round down by up to 2mm if using Revo's. Never round up.

IN other words, you'll geet away with 294s all round.

Good luck building 29er wheels with Revo's and alu nipples.

Spoke length remains the same, irrespective of nipple length, unless you're using American Classic nipples.

Nipples work loose because of inadequate spoke tension, not coating type.

Front left - 294,3 Front Right 295,8

Rear left 295,5 Rear Left, 294,6

Round down by up to 2mm if using Revo's. Never round up.

IN other words, you'll geet away with 294s all round.

why do you say 'good luck'as if I could have problems I dont intend the build myself but according to my calcs I could save a fair amount by getting the parts in the UK whilst there and at the moment dont have access to a wheel builder right now

Thanks for the info though

why do you say 'good luck'as if I could have problems I dont intend the build myself but according to my calcs I could save a fair amount by getting the parts in the UK whilst there and at the moment dont have access to a wheel builder right now

sorry just realised its the DT competition spokes that I want does that mean the length changes

I am sure you could save money by buying overseas. Our spoke supplies are notoriously limited and over the top. However, that's not the issue.

I wished you good luck because that build is a difficult one for many reasons.

1) DT Revolution or for that matter, Sapim Laser or Wheelsmith XL spokes. They don't resist torsion very well and wind up.

2) Aluminium nipples. Alu is a notoriously bad bearing and quickly galls when forced onto something like a spoke thread. You often end up halfway into the build with a galled nipple. Then you have to cut the spoke and try again with even more oil.

3) 29-er wheel. The extra length in the wheel means longer spokes and longer spokes mean less resistance to torsion which means more wind-up. See point 1. above.

4) 32-spokes. This means more tension per spoke required (less than 36 spokes with thin spokes = difficulty) and therefore the Revo's will wind up even more.

5) Lightweight rim. Since Revos stretch more, you have to tension them more (see point one again) and since they are built onto a lightweight rim, you have to tension them a lot more 'cause the rim gives, to get to the point where you want to be. The more you turn the alu nipples, the more chance that they will gall.

Perhaps it isn't just a matter of luck, but divine assistance... Coming from me, the latter would have been seen as facetious.

It really is a difficult build to get right and reliable. Good luck.

I am sure you could save money by buying overseas. Our spoke supplies are notoriously limited and over the top. However, that's not the issue.

I wished you good luck because that build is a difficult one for many reasons.

1) DT Revolution or for that matter, Sapim Laser or Wheelsmith XL spokes. They don't resist torsion very well and wind up.

2) Aluminium nipples. Alu is a notoriously bad bearing and quickly galls when forced onto something like a spoke thread. You often end up halfway into the build with a galled nipple. Then you have to cut the spoke and try again with even more oil.

3) 29-er wheel. The extra length in the wheel means longer spokes and longer spokes mean less resistance to torsion which means more wind-up. See point 1. above.

4) 32-spokes. This means more tension per spoke required (less than 36 spokes with thin spokes = difficulty) and therefore the Revo's will wind up even more.

5) Lightweight rim. Since Revos stretch more, you have to tension them more (see point one again) and since they are built onto a lightweight rim, you have to tension them a lot more 'cause the rim gives, to get to the point where you want to be. The more you turn the alu nipples, the more chance that they will gall.

Perhaps it isn't just a matter of luck, but divine assistance... Coming from me, the latter would have been seen as facetious.

It really is a difficult build to get right and reliable. Good luck.

"and try again with even more oil."

FMI - what oil do you use, if I may ask sir?

Edited by The Drongo

"and try again with even more oil."

FMI - what oil do you use, if I may ask sir?

Sommer just any old gearbox oil. Heavy 80w90 or anything that stinks. Extreme Pressure (EP) oil smells strongly.

sorry just realised its the DT competition spokes that I want does that mean the length changes

IN that case, round down by no more than 1.5mm.

Take your wheels to JB. He built my wheels and I am very happy with his work!

Take your wheels to JB. He built my wheels and I am very happy with his work!

And if you do send your wheels to JB i gather he would prefer it if you went with brass nipples. Just a feeling :-)

And if you do send your wheels to JB i gather he would prefer it if you went with brass nipples. Just a feeling :-)

Thats the plan I've sent him a few mails,

a bit off the topic

funny thing I'm seeing CRC and the like is that they are not as cheap as you think when you buy in the UK, because they have 20% vat so if you fiddle with settings on the pricing then lugging a set of rims back to save 150 bucks isnt worth it