What are the best MTB wheels?

Stevief

Thanks for all the advice now where is johan yellow saddle when one is looking for his advice regarding 32 / 36 holes??

I ride 32-hole wheels on my 26er (and 32-hole Americal Classics on my 29er) - Johan recommended that, bearing in mind my weight :blush: , I go '36-hole' on some 29er Wheels I'm going to build but, unfortunately, lightweight rims in 36-hole are like Hens Teeth, so I've decided on 32-hole Hope Pro II Hubs, Competition Spokes and (obviouisly) 32-hole ZTR Crest Rims for my 29er Wheels (Hubs and spokes in Silver, and Rims in White (with stickers removed) - as I'm breaking with tradition)

Edited by levett

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are over 100kg and do heavy jumps then go for 36 holes. Otherwise 32 will be strong enough.

I dont think there are very many options on 36 hole hubs or rims

If you are over 100kg and do heavy jumps then go for 36 holes. Otherwise 32 will be strong enough.

Thanks.

One last question re. spokes: Does anyone have any views on DT Swiss Revolution spokes? Is it worth the extra cost in order to get the rotational weight down? I'm building a light wheelset for marathon-type conditions - is it worth the upgrade from Comps?

Hope II Hubs, Stans Rims, DT Swiss Spokes. Get it built up. Budget on R3500 all in.

+1

Stans Arch rims and brass nipples for strength.

Except that's R3.5k per wheel by my reckoning :)

so many hope pro 11 hubs on crc ??? which one??

Why, the red ones of course!

what on earth is "engagement rate" never heard of that, please educate

Sorry - was on leave clap.gif

See the q was answered, and as was said, is how quickly from the moment you start pedaling the freehub engages. If you ride technical stuff, you will LOVE the advantage this gives you, a quarter crank might not give you much on a Hope, but just about all will translate into momentum on a CK or I-9.

So if you mountain bike, Look at the CK or I-9, if they too expensive, look at the Easton Havoc (1650g for an AM wheelset!! Still with a better engagement ratio than Hope)

If you do offroad riding or XC, Hope is easily the best weight for buck choice, plus a great hub all around.

(Hijack on - I am selling my wife's gold Hopes ones if you interested as she is not riding anymore and the gold does not do it for me - Hijack off)

Sorry - was on leave clap.gif

See the q was answered, and as was said, is how quickly from the moment you start pedaling the freehub engages. If you ride technical stuff, you will LOVE the advantage this gives you, a quarter crank might not give you much on a Hope, but just about all will translate into momentum on a CK or I-9.

So if you mountain bike, Look at the CK or I-9, if they too expensive, look at the Easton Havoc (1650g for an AM wheelset!! Still with a better engagement ratio than Hope)

If you do offroad riding or XC, Hope is easily the best weight for buck choice, plus a great hub all around.

(Hijack on - I am selling my wife's gold Hopes ones if you interested as she is not riding anymore and the gold does not do it for me - Hijack off)

thanks

been cycling/mtbing for years and did not know this engagement story. are the hopes just hubs or wheels, if wheels how much do they weigh and how much do you want, ive just build up my hardtail again and hope to "engage" the hubby to get better wheels, currently have dt swiss 455 on, and i can feel quite a diffirence (slower) between them and xtr wheels/mavic crossmax sl wheelson the other bikes

Good morning all :) ,

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I need some help before I buy the wrong items on the internet. It's such a mission getting the stuff swapped out if it's the wrong stuff....

I'm looking at ordering a few goodies from CRC, ie. Hubs, spokes, rims etc. Things to build some wheels.

I've attached a screenshot of my basket so far.

My biggest worry is the rear hub, will I be able to run a 10 speed cassette on the Hope Pro 2 Evo hub? I have a Scott 40 with the 30 speed groupo. Also, which cassette is better? Should I get another SLX, or is there another option?

Last 2 questions, which rims and tubeless tyres will fit nicely with these items? I weigh 90kgs and do mostly trail riding and races like Karkloof. I don't want to go over R5000 and I still need to add the price of the cassette.

I want these wheels to be my racing wheels, so they must be nice and light, but not break the bank.

Thanks a lot for the help,

Cheers,

Lance

Basket.bmp

What tubeless rims can i get with all the other goodies (hopes, and spokes?) :unsure: :o

The only truly tubeless rim available is Mavic 819. The rest need conversion kits.

The only truly tubeless rim available is Mavic 819. The rest need conversion kits.

Thanks Mampara, but when browsing CRC i see the following NOT AVAILABLE OUTSIDE THE EU ?? How will the built wheelset compare to the FSA 500 CX tubeless ? This seems to be a good buy?

I got wheels built with Mavic rims from CRC without hassles. But maybe because it was completely build wheels and not just the parts. I would stay away from any FSA products. The SA agents change more often then I do my underwear.

I got wheels built with Mavic rims from CRC without hassles. But maybe because it was completely build wheels and not just the parts. I would stay away from any FSA products. The SA agents change more often then I do my underwear.

I also heard about the SA agents story........ why is there always a catch some where?? :angry: :unsure:

If i order the rims,spokes and hubs from CRC will they put the correct spokes that will fit in the parcel? Please advice?? :blush:

You need to tell them what spokes you want, or get the wheels built from the custom wheel build section