looking to build a crest 29er wheelset

wapad

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I weigh 80kg. I saved 200g on the std amclassics.

The crests low profile is great - two rounds of tubeless tape and no hassles. The low rim profile is also great because you almost never hit the rim with rocks.

If I was 105kg though i would only use an arch or 355 rim at least.

Hi there Wapad

ZTR Rims are really nice.

I had Mavic CS29 wheels, and "upgraded" to a set ZTR Flow's with Hope hubs.

I said "upgraded" as the ZTR's are slightly heavier, but reliability was my main concern (my Mavic rear rim cracked longitudinally between some of the spokes).

My ZTR Flow and Hope hub build came to 1850g.

Me being 105kg's, the strength of the wheel and build was important, as I like to fit and forget... And this is exactly what I got with my new wheels.

One comment I have to make, lateral stiffness and wheel strength had my RIP9 feel like a NEW bike on the ZTR's!!! Really GOOD.

Recommendation for a build, visit Mike's Bikes, Greenside JHB, 011-888-8868.

In my experience, really solid advice and they meet your demands / needs in a reliable answer with a well suited product.

I had my wheelset built there, and 100% after a couple of months now...

RE the rimtape, use the recommended STAN's rimtape width for the rim. Buy yourself a roll and keen in your spares box.

Oh yes, the Crest's recommended rider weight is around the 105kg mark.

Happy building and then Hooping... :)

How are you guys calculating the wieght of the wheels?

Im building a set of the following:

Hope pro 2 evo hubs - (470g) front & rear

ZTR Crest rims - (760g) front & rear

DT Swiss revolution spokes - (283g) 64 spokes

DT Swiss standard aluminium - (20g) 64 pcs

That give me a completed weight of 1533g

Am I doing it right?

Edited by Thumper

How are you guys calculating the wieght of the wheels?

Im building a set of the following:

Hope pro 2 evo hubs - (470g) front & rear

ZTR Crest rims - (760g) front & rear

DT Swiss revolution spokes - (283g) 64 spokes

DT Swiss standard aluminium - (20g) 64 pcs

That give me a completed weight of 1533g

Am I doing it right?

It doesn't look like you are far off.

Try this website: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/wheel-weight-calculator.html

Or this one @ Stan's: http://www.notubes.com/Wheel_Weight_Calc.aspx

Or the DT Swiss Wheelbuidler: http://www.dtswiss.com/

Its probably the most accurate because it calculates the spoke length required.

The other two us generic values for spoke weight because they dont take into account length because of radial, 2 or 3 cross.

DT Catalog says 283g for 64 spokes (@ 264mm).

For a 29'er wheelset, the spokes will be in the region of 290mm - therefore a bit heavier.

1550g if I entered everything in correctly.

post-615-0-43530200-1306764186.jpg

Edited by splat

Niner boy. Where did you find the 105kg rider weight limit? On the Stans website it says 190lbs (86.2kg).

American Classic MTB 29 Tubeless rider weight limit 107kg... At 1600g/set (AM Classic) vs 1575g/set (ZTR Crest) the Amercian classics sounds like more bang for your buck.

Niner boy. Where did you find the 105kg rider weight limit? On the Stans website it says 190lbs (86.2kg).

American Classic MTB 29 Tubeless rider weight limit 107kg... At 1600g/set (AM Classic) vs 1575g/set (ZTR Crest) the Amercian classics sounds like more bang for your buck.

ZTR Crest wheelset has that weight limit. I cant find anything about a weight limit on the rim itself. I suppose it depends on how its built up.

• 2 weeks later...

Interested to know how this has progressed.

Is there any merit in the idea of putting a ZTR Crest rim up front with a ZTR Arch rim at the back?

Competitive Cyclist uses ZTR 355 front and Arch rear rims on their Signature Industry Nine 29'er wheelset

Edited by splat

The feedback I have got is that the AM classic is a soft rim and dings quite easily

Stay away from revolution spokes if your are not a racing snake or go anywhere near a light trail

JB was telling me with revo spokes on a light rim for a heavy person like me the setup takes a beating because of the tension put into the rim

the other thing I have seen and been fedback is the crest rim with hope hubs and comp spokes comes out closer to 1700g with Rim tape and valves

Ngala has/had a set with the evo hubs for sale for 4 grand at around 1700g +

I think I'm gonna go with ZTR hubs or nova tech lite (I tend to think the hope is for more heavy duty trail) and crest rims and see where that leads me

does anyone know if there is a 355 rim in 29er I thought that was for a 26 wheel

The feedback I have got is that the AM classic is a soft rim and dings quite easily

Stay away from revolution spokes if your are not a racing snake or go anywhere near a light trail

JB was telling me with revo spokes on a light rim for a heavy person like me the setup takes a beating because of the tension put into the rim

the other thing I have seen and been fedback is the crest rim with hope hubs and comp spokes comes out closer to 1700g with Rim tape and valves

Ngala has/had a set with the evo hubs for sale for 4 grand at around 1700g +

I think I'm gonna go with ZTR hubs or nova tech lite (I tend to think the hope is for more heavy duty trail) and crest rims and see where that leads me

does anyone know if there is a 355 rim in 29er I thought that was for a 26 wheel

Stan's website says that the 355 29'er is out of production.

Ngala's wheels are build with DT Champion spokes. Not very good for wheel building either (try and search more of JB's posts for reasons why).

Also make for heavier wheels (will be more than 1700g).

Hope's are XC orientated, but good/strong enough for downhill too.

(ZTR hubs will be 95g/pair lighter though)

Ngala's wheels are build with DT Champion spokes. Not very good for wheel building either (try and search more of JB's posts for reasons why).

I think JB said he uses competition silver double butted 2.0- 1.8mm if not mistaken

will check out all your other prompts

got a hubber offering crossmax 29er for 5K which seems quite high for a propriety considering all the choice

any comments on the crossmax 29er he says they are 1700g

Splat the gold 29er wheels in question were build by the guy at Intl Trade (Hope agents) and double butted dt competitions were used, at least that is what i paid for.