Reasonable bike service

ysbeer

Best service in Cape Town

I'm looking for a LBS in Cape Town to service my bike. The going rate for a full service seems to be R 400 - R 550. Can this really be it? I find this very expensive. Or am I just living in 1995?

Some stores charge less for the service but then nail you on anything that needs to be fixed.

Can anybody recommend a reliable affordable LBS in the Cape Town area?

(No Bellville is not Cape Town.)

Any comments from shop owners also welcome.

Bicycle Maintenance Company

1 Argyle Road

Woodstock

Cape Town

Tel: 021 – 448 4692

Fax: 021 – 447 1338

Cell: 083 428 3099

info@bicyclerepairs.co.za

Admin and Bookings: Kerrythe

Technical support: Jared or Kevin

I took my Zula recently to John O connor cycles for a full service. Had a great experience there. The guys were professional and helpfull.

I think the service was 290, then the bb and headset were 80 each, then the linkage was 250. They also replaced all the cables, gave the bike a good clean and checked out the brakes etc. All in all I was satisfied with the price and the level of service. I would definately go back there.

...They also replaced all the cables....

Please note that there is a difference between cables. I would expect them to use the best stuff but those alone are R50 each without housing.

Please note that there is a difference between cables. I would expect them to use the best stuff but those alone are R50 each without housing.

They used those new teflon coated ones. I assume those are the best or pretty close to the best.

It was also the small things they did which made a difference.

1. Put blingy red cable clamps on the end of the cables

2. Redid my chain stay protector with an old tube - looks proper solid

3. Put protective tape on the down tube and under the bottle cages

I did'nt ask for any of that, they just did it. I like a place that takes some initiative but still phones you to give a run down of what is damaged and what needs replacing which they did. In the past Ive gone to collect my bike from a service and the guy says 'oh your bb was stuffed so we replaced it with xtr @ R350 a cup!'

They used those new teflon coated ones. I assume those are the best or pretty close to the best.

It was also the small things they did which made a difference.

1. Put blingy red cable clamps on the end of the cables

2. Redid my chain stay protector with an old tube - looks proper solid

3. Put protective tape on the down tube and under the bottle cages

I did'nt ask for any of that, they just did it. I like a place that takes some initiative but still phones you to give a run down of what is damaged and what needs replacing which they did. In the past Ive gone to collect my bike from a service and the guy says 'oh your bb was stuffed so we replaced it with xtr @ R350 a cup!'

That does sound good. I'm with you on shops that give a little extra without asking something in return.

Yep I agree on that. And communication is the key to good service. No surprises when you go to pick up the bike.

Also experienced some good customer service from JOC. You structure you own service there starting at R290 and R80 an add-on for BB, Headset etc. No such thing as a major service for some ridiculous amount if it is not necessary.

That does sound good. I'm with you on shops that give a little extra without asking something in return.

I'd salute that too.

Another good shop is Crown Cycles. They are reasonable and do good work. They have helped me many times. Mark is the mechanic there and he knows his stuff.

Also experienced some good customer service from JOC. You structure you own service there starting at R290 and R80 an add-on for BB, Headset etc. No such thing as a major service for some ridiculous amount if it is not necessary.

What does the initial R290 entail?

Ah cr@p!!! That's what I forgot to do yesterday! Had to take the bikes in for a service before I left town! :(

So far I've received good service from Cycle Factory

Unit S29 Spearhead Business Park

Montague Gardens

I agree with the good service and workmanship from JOC and Crown Cycles.

BMC is just easier for me to get to.