29er Cockpit setup

Monark

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just removed the 690mm flat bar from my Giant Xtc 29er and replaced it with a 660mm low rise riser bar WITH bar ends. Feels pretty good. Still wide enough to manipulate those bigger wheels and although I now have a more upright and comfortable riding position, the bar is still 30mm lower than the saddle.

Will report again after a long and technical ride.

Monark, as a point of departure, you will notice that the budget of a few hubbers do not allow them access to the modern day conversion of bigger wheels, so instead of minding their own business and sticking to their mtbikes of yesteryear, they will nose around in threads where they have very little knowledge, and post irrelavant nonsense, and attempt to mock the world wide 29er hype. Just remember, this crowd is however very small, and as they are saving up their hard earned cash and converting one by one, the group becomes smaller, so that one day we will be able to post 29er threads without remarks from green-eyed-monsters.

Back to your Q on the cockpit - It is believed that 29ers are better controlled by a wider flat bar with a shorter stem, and a racier setup to compensate for the raised front-end. A proper bike fit is however still the route to follow to ensure that you enjoy many miles on your bike.

Take that you evil 26ers! :clap:

I cant comment on what is good or better but when I did my 29er 'pro' setup the following things were done: Handlebar dropped 3 cm...Stem made longer 2 cm and angle changed so that its also dropped by another 2 cm. So basically no geometric difference from setting up a 26er for 'race' position (although I still need to get to the racing bit).

Longer stem made the steering (handling) slower but less twitchy at higher speed

but then dropped handlebar improved handing again especially on slower windy tracks (my opinion)thinks its because your chest and arms are more forward over the handlebar

I removed the bar-ends simply because I feel clausophobic between trees and feel better with the extra 2 cm clearance

Bottom line - I dont think there is any difference in set-up for 29er 26er. Maybe there should be...

I cant comment on what is good or better but when I did my 29er 'pro' setup the following things were done: Handlebar dropped 3 cm...Stem made longer 2 cm and angle changed so that its also dropped by another 2 cm. So basically no geometric difference from setting up a 26er for 'race' position (although I still need to get to the racing bit).

Longer stem made the steering (handling) slower but less twitchy at higher speed

but then dropped handlebar improved handing again especially on slower windy tracks (my opinion)thinks its because your chest and arms are more forward over the handlebar

I removed the bar-ends simply because I feel clausophobic between trees and feel better with the extra 2 cm clearance

Bottom line - I dont think there is any difference in set-up for 29er 26er. Maybe there should be...

There shouldn't be any difference.

You are just on bigger wheels. Theoretically...

I'll take the chicken run around the snide cynicism and give you a straight answer.

Bike fit is bike fit, regardless of the size of your wheels. You need your hands, feet and butt to be in the right position. Nothing else matters. I found that when I set up my 29er about six months ago, I needed a 1cm shorter stem with 0 deg rise and flat handlebars to approximate the position on my old 26er which has a longer riser stem. I opted for a wide (680mm) bar (Easton EA70) for extra leverage 'cause I run singlespeed, but I would not bother with that if you are running gears. Looking at other 29ers my buddies ride, this seems to be common, as the larger front wheel obviously raises the height of the front end. One mate even needs to run a riser stem flipped upside down to get his bars low enough. But then he's an ex Euro-style roadie :)

I'm tall at 1.88m (6'2") and find the 29er fits me better generally and is more stable than a 26er. Your mileage may vary.

Maybe in bar width and sweep but bar height and reach should be the same. Everything starts with the seat height and position. You then check what was the handlebar drop on the 26" and copy that. You get this right by removing (9 out of 10 times on a 29er) spacers and if that is not enough, you flip stem over to negative. I would say reach is a personal choice. If you want racy you go long and preferably you get the correct frame first.

Thanks chaps, some very interesting points of view.

I will ensure that I get a proper bike fit done when she arrives. I did this with my Anthem and have never adjusted anything since!

Bought a 29er. Swopped the long stem for a shorter one, with a wide riser. Why? Cos that's how I roll.

Monark, as a point of departure, you will notice that the budget of a few hubbers do not allow them access to the modern day conversion of bigger wheels, so instead of minding their own business and sticking to their mtbikes of yesteryear, they will nose around in threads where they have very little knowledge, and post irrelavant nonsense, and attempt to mock the world wide 29er hype. Just remember, this crowd is however very small, and as they are saving up their hard earned cash and converting one by one, the group becomes smaller, so that one day we will be able to post 29er threads without remarks from green-eyed-monsters.

Back to your Q on the cockpit - It is believed that 29ers are better controlled by a wider flat bar with a shorter stem, and a racier setup to compensate for the raised front-end. A proper bike fit is however still the route to follow to ensure that you enjoy many miles on your bike.

:clap: :clap: well said

Maybe in bar width and sweep but bar height and reach should be the same.

I don't agree with this at all. Each of my MTBs is set up differently. My 29er is more of a "sit up and beg" position. I like it like that. My old 'Dale is racier and more stretched. My Trance is low-slung and loose. My Sunn has drops and is set up like a road bike. The old Kona Koa is a cruiser. Horses for courses. 29er setup need not mirror your 26er setup.

Guest agteros

In the Bicycling Mag this month they have a 29er shootout where they review a few 29ers.

Most of the reviews comment on the need for a flatbar and a shorter stem.

Is this the 'accepted' setup on a hardtail 29er?

I've heard of somebody who saw the start of the new 29er norm.... Use the handlebar as a stem, and the stem as the handlebar. Obviously you have to drop at least two sizes on the frame to keep the total distance from seat to handle bar in check. Some people even swap their seat posts around to make up for the extra distance! ohmy.gif

Andre Trout you we conned by the great cycling marketing syndicate who desperately thought of a new ways to move wheels and frames and money out of the pockets of veign cyclists.

I remember in the comic "Asterix goes to Egypt", Obelix climbs up the face of the Sphinx, breaking off the nose. The Arab curio merchants who are all selling mini Sphinxes to the hordes of tourists looks up in horror, sees that their effigies does not comply, whip out chisels and knocks the noses off.

When was the last time you looked at your nose?

Andre Trout you we conned by the great cycling marketing syndicate who desperately thought of a new ways to move wheels and frames and money out of the pockets of veign cyclists.

I remember in the comic "Asterix goes to Egypt", Obelix climbs up the face of the Sphinx, breaking off the nose. The Arab curio merchants who are all selling mini Sphinxes to the hordes of tourists looks up in horror, sees that their effigies does not comply, whip out chisels and knocks the noses off.

Another small "wheel" syndrome here.

blah blah blah I take it you still run windows 95 because you refuse to fall into the marketing trap..

I think every time someone knocks a genuine 29er question we should give him the blah blah answer

blah blah blah I take it you still run windows 95 because you refuse to fall into the marketing trap..

I think every time someone knocks a genuine 29er question we should give him the blah blah answer

Exactly, 29ers will do anything to justify their mistake.