Cannondale buying advice pls

bontie

Okay, my intention is not to start a 26 vs 29 thread, but I would appreciate some thoughts from the fountain of knowledge that is thehubsa.

I am on the verge of buying a new(and only) MTB. I need it to do everything...

I will mostly ride the soft swooping trails in the Northern Hemisphere and potentially a couple of XC/marathon races. I am used to riding a hardtail (have never had a full suspension bike).

I am undecided between a 26" Scalpel and a Flash 29er -will probably get the "3" in the model range (XT/X7 spec) nothing too expensive.

Which will be the better all rounder?

hey there

I got a flash 1 29er and its the ****. I battled to get it, there was no stock. I paid 20k for it.

Wouldn't look back

Okay, my intention is not to start a 26 vs 29 thread, but I would appreciate some thoughts from the fountain of knowledge that is thehubsa.

I am on the verge of buying a new(and only) MTB. I need it to do everything...

I will mostly ride the soft swooping trails in the Northern Hemisphere and potentially a couple of XC/marathon races. I am used to riding a hardtail (have never had a full suspension bike).

I am undecided between a 26" Scalpel and a Flash 29er -will probably get the "3" in the model range (XT/X7 spec) nothing too expensive.

Which will be the better all rounder?

Soft swooping trails and marathon races - the 29er may be a better option if you can find one. The Cannondale 29ers are brilliant. If you are also used to riding hardtails you will enjoy it. The Scalpel is also brilliant and I would be hard pressed to decide between the two. A growing opinion though is if you are buying a new bike and have the choice between the two go for a 29er if you are happy with it. Is there no chance of a test ride at your LBS?

I have had 12 bikes with the last 5 being Cannondales and they are simply amazing bikes.

If it's your only MTB, I'd lean towards the 26" Scalpel. The spec looks good, and you can't go wrong with a Lefty.

This comment was written by Christoph Sauser:

"I definitely had to get used to my 26-inch Specialized Epic for the World Cup again. I had only been riding and racing the Epic 29er for the last two months. Cross country is such a racing-specific discipline, which basically is 1.5 hours on and off sprinting. For that, I need the most responsive and light bike and not the 29er, which is much more forgiving, stable, comfortable and better rolling. Overall, the 29er is just easier to ride. In my opinion, you can compare a 26er vs. a 29er to a racing car vs. a Mercedes S Class."

(full article cyclingnews)

As to hard tail vs. soft tail:

Imo only racing snakes should be riding hard tails. A 29" hardtail is just as hard or very close to a 26" hard tail in comfort - on the rough stuff it will beat you up just as hard.

If you decide to go full-sus, I would suggest you consider multi-link frames as well. Cannondale have gone for a multi-link design on their new sull-sus 29er too, perhaps this is the best one to go for?

Lastly, be careful of a Lefty in European conditions - the shims and bearings don't like being wet, but if you look after it well, it should be ok.

Scalpel is a damn fine bike (I have a vintage 2005 model) - not much travel on the rear, but good for 'cross country' rides, not the race discipline, but more the distances on sand / district roads, jeep tracks, single track, bumpy roads: the kind of riding we do here. Don't know where you are but hard tail might be a bit limiting, even though that Flash has that flexi carbon seat post. Also note limited front suspension travel on the 29'er.

Nothing wrong with 26" and you are going to be paying the premium for the Flash 29'er. If you are in North America check out used options on ebay as well.

hey thereI got a flash 1 29er and its the ****. I battled to get it, there was no stock. I paid 20k for it.Wouldn't look back

Those were my initial thoughts too, thank you.

Christie wrote : As to hard tail vs. soft tail:Imo only racing snakes should be riding hard tails. A 29" hardtail is just as hard or very close to a 26" hard tail in comfort - on the rough stuff it will beat you up just as hard.

True, but I am sure it would be okay, I can take a bit of a beating in terms of comfort - I'll rest after the ride?

If you decide to go full-sus, I would suggest you consider multi-link frames as well. Cannondale have gone for a multi-link design on their new sull-sus 29er too, perhaps this is the best one to go for?

Also considered - but when and at what price as I will be buying a bike at the end of June...

Lastly, be careful of a Lefty in European conditions - the shims and bearings don't like being wet, but if you look after it well, it should be ok.

:o :o :o

Scalpel is a damn fine bike (I have a vintage 2005 model) - not much travel on the rear, but good for 'cross country' rides, not the race discipline, but more the distances on sand / district roads, jeep tracks, single track, bumpy roads: the kind of riding we do here. Don't know where you are but hard tail might be a bit limiting, even though that Flash has that flexi carbon seat post. Also note limited front suspension travel on the 29'er. Nothing wrong with 26" and you are going to be paying the premium for the Flash 29'er. If you are in North America check out used options on ebay as well.

I am in the UK - most people here ride 4" and 5" frames - the trails are supersmooth and mostly moist/damp (even in summer)

Eish, now I am even more confused - Scalpel 29er?? Does anyone have an idea on pricing and when it will become available? The last info I had said available in May??

Thanks for all the comments so far

Those were my initial thoughts too, thank you.

Christie wrote : As to hard tail vs. soft tail:Imo only racing snakes should be riding hard tails. A 29" hardtail is just as hard or very close to a 26" hard tail in comfort - on the rough stuff it will beat you up just as hard.

True, but I am sure it would be okay, I can take a bit of a beating in terms of comfort - I'll rest after the ride?

Also considered - but when and at what price as I will be buying a bike at the end of June...

:o :o :o

I am in the UK - most people here ride 4" and 5" frames - the trails are supersmooth and mostly moist/damp (even in summer)

Eish, now I am even more confused - Scalpel 29er?? Does anyone have an idea on pricing and when it will become available? The last info I had said available in May??

Thanks for all the comments so far

I am hearing the 29er Scalpel will be a 2012 model so which May are you talking about. :D

The new Lefties seal better than the older models and if you grease the bearings regularly (10 minute procedure) you will be okay.

With the new Scalpel coming out maybe you will be able to pick up a new 26er Scalpel at a good price.

Edited by nickc

Rize is a another option for Cannondale mtb ... ?

http://cdn.cannondale.com/catalog/product/cache/330/image/550x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/c/_/c_2011_1vl2_grn_5.png

Scalpel is really about those flexi carbon chain stays, and if you don't need it lean & mean, look at the Rize. (Scalpel 29'er has conventional pivot though)

You should be able to get good used in the UK through Loot and ebay.co.uk etc - one year old good-as-new models go for less than 50% new price. Also check out Evans Cycles for new 'dales, they will ship to UK

Edited by kosmonooit

I've been riding a Scott Scale since 2009, recently got a full-sus. The Scale is a very very nice bike, but I have much more fun on the Truth. I look foreward to the descends, and speeding along singletrack.

Rather a 26" Scalpel before a 29" hardtail. The Scalpel is lighter than most hardtails, and it rides very much like a ht from what I understand, with the edge taken off the bumps.

Have you already eliminated Pinarello, Scott, Specialized, Giant from your candidate list?

Rather a 26" Scalpel before a 29" hardtail. The Scalpel is lighter than most hardtails, and it rides very much like a ht from what I understand, with the edge taken off the bumps.

Much agreed!!! This is what I will do....

And I will jump for the 2010-2011 Scalpel which has SINGLE pivot compared to the prototype 2012 Scalpel which has duel pivot.

But that's just me!

Stay away from the Lefty forks if you are left handed - it causes you to ride off the road into the veld on long straight stretches! :lol:

Bontie you get a bike yet ?

Looking to go the 2011 Cannondale Flash 29" 1 Alu route at R20k, aparently next stock is only coming in September and will be 2012 models ?

Anyone know if there is a medium somewhere in SA ?

Bontie you get a bike yet ?

Looking to go the 2011 Cannondale Flash 29" 1 Alu route at R20k, aparently next stock is only coming in September and will be 2012 models ?

Anyone know if there is a medium somewhere in SA ?

WW, I have not yet no. I can get a Scalpel 29er in December. I am considering to get a Flash 29er3 now and selling it in Dec to make space for a Scalpel 29er.

I am based in the UK so it may be a bit easier to still get one? Any takers for a Flash 29er3 @ about R20k in December?? :)

hey there

I got a flash 1 29er and its the ****. I battled to get it, there was no stock. I paid 20k for it.

Wouldn't look back

CArbon at that price? Where?