Riding etiquette at Groenkloof

Dirtracker

I have been racing for the last 2 years so I do understand the etiquette and "snorting" factor but when you are riding down the sand roads and the next minute a rider comes through the middle without any warning I want to bliksem him. Oh and a thank you for giving track or getting out thee way would also be appreciated.

This thread has the potential to become a very personal issue. So far we all agree that WHEN ON THE SINGLE TRACK most riders will fall in behind the slower rider, and quietly wait for the first safe opportunity to pass. Obviously as the guy is powering up to get past fluidly and safely, it is porbable that he won't be having a conversation with you while he/she is doing it. (Some riders are very introvert during hammering sessions, also there are some fringe elements that ride groenkloof on singlespeeds and need to maintain this fuild flow, so will be concertrating on keeping speed over having conversations).

Now you say "you are riding down the sand roads and the next minute a rider comes through the middle without any warning" which means that you are cycling abreast with your partner, leaving no safe place on the left or right for the faster guy to pass you. Which means that that a very large gap (big enough for a guy to go through!) was the only safe piece of road for the guy to aim for......Long explaination, cut short, "you were hogging the road".......

and again let's spell it out there are guys and girls that train/ride very hard at Groenkloof, and are on the rivet the whole time, (me not one of them), and the snort is actually a very long conversation for them, so please give them a bit of slack as well?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(Some riders are very introvert during hammering sessions, also there are some fringe elements that ride groenkloof on singlespeeds and need to maintain this fuild flow, so will be concertrating on keeping speed over having conversations).

They should be banned! Scum, the lot of them… <_<

They should be banned! Scum, the lot of them… <_<

they are almost as bad as those trail runners that run up behind you snorting on the mtb dedicated trails.

This thread has the potential to become a very personal issue. So far we all agree that WHEN ON THE SINGLE TRACK most riders will fall in behind the slower rider, and quietly wait for the first safe opportunity to pass. Obviously as the guy is powering up to get past fluidly and safely, it is porbable that he won't be having a conversation with you while he/she is doing it. (Some riders are very introvert during hammering sessions, also there are some fringe elements that ride groenkloof on singlespeeds and need to maintain this fuild flow, so will be concertrating on keeping speed over having conversations).

Now you say "you are riding down the sand roads and the next minute a rider comes through the middle without any warning" which means that you are cycling abreast with your partner, leaving no safe place on the left or right for the faster guy to pass you. Which means that that a very large gap (big enough for a guy to go through!) was the only safe piece of road for the guy to aim for......Long explaination, cut short, "you were hogging the road".......

and again let's spell it out there are guys and girls that train/ride very hard at Groenkloof, and are on the rivet the whole time, (me not one of them), and the snort is actually a very long conversation for them, so please give them a bit of slack as well?

I agree with what you have said as I also ride hard when I am without the family and with mates. However when the rider rode through the middle of us, we were changing from the left hand side to the right hand side as you go down the steep almost tarred section into the river crossing as there were about 10 4 x 4's waiting their turn to go through the mud (Jeep actually got stuck up to the floor boards in the mud). So the speedster was not even really looking ahead as he nearly went into the back of a vehicle. It is just a principle of how we do or not treat other people. ;)

I don't see why people get a fright, if you're riding slowly, somebody is going to come speeding past you at some point, live with it. I did a very quick lap at groennies on sun and waited for there to be a gap to pass, or made a little detour to pass and then people moan and shout that I give them a fright? wtf? the other day i was on the road and somebody swore at me cause they walked into the road without looking and i just dodged them but it was tight and now it's my fault? tut tut.

I agree with what you have said as I also ride hard when I am without the family and with mates. However when the rider rode through the middle of us, we were changing from the left hand side to the right hand side as you go down the steep almost tarred section into the river crossing as there were about 10 4 x 4's waiting their turn to go through the mud (Jeep actually got stuck up to the floor boards in the mud). So the speedster was not even really looking ahead as he nearly went into the back of a vehicle. It is just a principle of how we do or not treat other people. ;)

AAAAAAH, now that is totally different. That little section is a bit of a pest most of the time, and with 10 vehicles lined up, it would be very stupid to ram your way through there. :blush:

they are almost as bad as those trail runners that run up behind you snorting on the mtb dedicated trails.

That bloody Weight Weenie is one of them :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Just joking :unsure:

What a bunch of royal morons... remind me never to go riding in Groenkloof, but rather where people are friendly and courteous. There is no excuse for being rude, no matter how much of a pro you think you are. If you want track all for yourself, find a IDT...

That bloody Weight Weenie is one of them :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Just joking :unsure:

Ja grapjas !

There are guys running on the bike trails, please klap them with your bottle and the same goes for people riding on the hiking trails, they are quieter than the mtb trails so it's gonna take some time before help arrives for you ;)

I've done a fair bit of riding at Groenies, never had issues with slower riders, they usually give way and I thank them and keep hammering :thumbup:

If someone comes up behind me I always ask if they want to pass, mostly they dont. Slipstreamers hey.... :lol:

What a bunch of royal morons... remind me never to go riding in Groenkloof, but rather where people are friendly and courteous. There is no excuse for being rude, no matter how much of a pro you think you are. If you want track all for yourself, find a IDT...

**** I hope I can stioll cancel the invitation send to you personally to come and join us at Groenkloof . I ride Groenkloof 3 times a week . The only things that I do scare sometimes are These spotted chickens that runs in the trail and once I had a coming together with a giraffe but never had a human shouted at me or looked scared . And just incase you wondered about it , NO I don't run around giving out group hugs and making small talk .

And then there a the supercops who comes puffing up the jeeptrack and shouts "single track single track" at any rider who dares to come from the opposite direction. I guess that is the benefit of Groenies...it has "dual singletracks" haha!

I wonder if a 29er can roll over a rider going the wrong way on single track - wouldn't that would be great!

I find that 99% of the time people are great at Groenkloof. I don't mind to go slower when there is a family in front of me, and will pass when it is safe and when they actually give me the opportunity to pass, else go very early in the morning or later in the afternoon when there are less people. Groenkloof is one of the best places to go cycling :thumbup:

A while back we took the kids with, but I prefer to keep them on the jeep tracks and teach them about staying on the left side of the road. They are only 7 & 9 years old, so won't take them on the technical singletracks yet :lol:

I am by no means a rocket on my bike, but I have had two occasions at Groenies where I have had to dive into the bush because of kids coming the wrong way on a trail and more times than I can remember of trails being blocked by kids bikes that have been left in the middle of the singletrack.

I am however always polite and will never shout for track, but I have been met with many a mutter and angry look from parents on the trails when trying to pass.

It works both ways

Eish, this happened to me on Sat, almost took some kids out cause the guide they were with decieded it was a good idea to stop around a blind corner with about 10 kids all in the middle of the single track. I couldn't control the expletives :blush:

Get yourself one of these... it works every time and you'll have enough time to say thanks as you go by.

http://www.nycbicycleshop.com/31-360-large/incredibell-bicycle-bell-triple.jpg

Obviously not to be used on single track where it is virtually impossible for someone to pull over.

Get yourself one of these... it works every time and you'll have enough time to say thanks as you go by.

http://www.nycbicycleshop.com/31-360-large/incredibell-bicycle-bell-triple.jpg

Obviously not to be used on single track where it is virtually impossible for someone to pull over.

Saved by the bell :lol: