Continental Gatorskin 700x28 on 29er mtb rim?

straatvark

Hi

If I don't make a mistake reading all the specifications it should be possible to put a Continental Gatorskin 700x28 on 29er mtb rim.

Is this correct?

If yes, does anyone use them like that?

thanks, g

Hi

If I don't make a mistake reading all the specifications it should be possible to put a Continental Gatorskin 700x28 on 29er mtb rim.

Is this correct?

thanks, g

Yes, the rim diameter is the same size.

I have in fact done it the other way around with no problem. (MTB tyre on road rim)

Hi

Is this correct?

thanks, g

Yes can do.

Have done. Easy, no real issues. You can even do it tubeless ( but then keep pressure under 6Bar). Nice way to stay with the roadies.Add a 48 blade on the front and you are good to go.

To tell the truth, you will even be able to but mentioned wheel and tyre combo on a 26".

Have done it for many years on my 29er, yes, I know the garage is in a mess and the tyres are flat.

post-24908-0-78875600-1305094806.jpg

I think you just need to be careful with the rim 'width' as well!

I have fitted a set of 29er wheels (Velocity Rims) with a Continental GP4000 in 700 25C width - no problem, but some of the MTB rims are too wide for a narrow tyre - you may need to go up to a 34C or a 38C (we're talking tyres here ;) ) if the rim is wide!

As was said, on most 26er MTB's, you can get this to fit - you're most likely to have a problem putting this combo on a 26er Soft-Tail,due to suspension clearance issues. My wife used this combo (albeit with a wheelset made up of MTB hubs and road 700C rims) on her Scot Scale 26er for her first 94.7.

After cutting my Crossmark's sidewall, I've ordered new UST Crossmarks from CWC.

This left me without tyres for my 29er for a whole weekend.

By Saturday I was so frustrated, that my only option was to fit 700x23 Gatorskins that were not in use.

The result was not pretty - but it enabled me to ride my bike!! :)

Bottom line - It works but you do not want to ride it in public.

post-4407-0-47058400-1305121313.jpg

you must fly on the road, mustb be so easy 30 gears/bigger wheels......

• 6 months later...

Bought myself a set of Gatorskins 700x25 for the 94.7 and I'm going to stick them on my MTB. Any advice on the recommended tire pressure?

Edited by d@vid