[Event] Hex Valley Autumn Splendour MTB Funride

Hexpas

hell mens sal sweer dit was die argus! RELAX!

hou op kerm!

dit IS afterall 'n klein dorpie, en ek dink hulle het dit goed gedoen! thumbup1.gif

Helloise

Dit WAS a great race! Ek dink nie mense kla daaroor nie. Die bietjie opondhoud by die treinspore is nie 'n groot issue nie, maar kan verbeter word.

Die ding wat baie mense omkrap is RAceTec wat nie al die uitslae bekend maak nie. Dit het egter niks met die organiseerders te doen nie. Jy kan trots wees op jou dorp!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but at least give an accurate position of your finishing time.

What difference does it make whether you were 328th or 356th?

What kind of response is that?

Hayleyearth has some valid points.

The congestion and bottle neck on the railway track back home was an issue, even for the 55km riders getting behind 35km riders...

I also want my results measured against ALL participants, not only PPA members, even though I AM a PPA member. It is just plain stupid if you ask me. They don't have to state the times, but at least give an accurate position of your finishing time.

Exactly my point!

I have been cycling since end of February (after 15 year of not touching a bicycle and then it was to cycle around the neighborhood). If I compare my time to the ladies on the list I ended up 6th and I don't want to fool myself in thinking that. Maybe it was where I ended and then you would ask “why complain in the 1st place”.

@ L2climb – I ask questions everyday, but knowing and doing are 2 different things!!

@ Big Til – as I only started 3 months ago I set a goal of ending in the top 5 ladies in my age group in 3 consecutive races in the ‘shorter rides’ (35km – 50km) and then going for the longer ones. One has to start some where I think.

@ MTB_Roadie – I seriously planned to join PPA (their year runs from July to June as far as I can remember) thus the delay in me joining, but now as mentioned above by Topwine…what is the use if I will only be ‘competing’ against PPA members, who as we know if looking at the numbers on the results were not even half of the final numbers.)

@ Helloise – I advertised the event between my friends afterwards as I thought even due to the few bad point is has the potential to be an great event – to have their 1000 entries as they want next year….just a few point to work on I think!

Thanks for the feedback! I learn each day. :)

What difference does it make whether you were 328th or 356th?

Not much, but I want to know whether I am only 10 positions behind you or 20 ...

I might be completely lost on this one, but

Was this race not advertised as a PPA event?

In my opinion there is nothing to be upset about.

The PPA organizes events and collaborates with groups wanting to host events for their members.

If you are not a member they allow you to join the ride, but first and foremost these events are for their members.

Cant see any problem with that.

If you are very serious about the competition side of things your time should be enough to let you know how your doing on your voyage to fame. The position in the particular race does not mean all that much. Coming in first when everyone else is doing the event as a fun event does not mean all that much now does it?

The PPA organizes events and collaborates with groups wanting to host events for their members.

If you are not a member they allow you to join the ride, but first and foremost these events are for their members.

Cant see any problem with that.

PPA does not organize these events for their members.

These events are organized for all cyclist, friends, family and even (sometimes evident on the trail) non-cyclist!

But being a PPA member gives you additional benefits.

Seeding

Timed Results

Seeded Start Groups

Cheaper Entries

Ect.

My gripe with PPA is that I dont have a choice.

If you want to be racing in WP, you have to belong to PPA!

Hey thanks to the organizers, PPA and the weather because I could leave my FA magneeto in the car. I had a great time and a great race. :thumbup:

PPA does not organize these events for their members.

These events are organized for all cyclist, friends, family and even (sometimes evident on the trail) non-cyclist!

But being a PPA member gives you additional benefits.

Seeding

Timed Results

Seeded Start Groups

Cheaper Entries

Ect.

My gripe with PPA is that I dont have a choice.

If you want to be racing in WP, you have to belong to PPA!

hi tankman

Thanks for clearing that up ten.

So the PPA arranges the seeding and timing of events then.

I get your gripe with not having a choice. sometimes that gets to me as well.

Cant say that they are supper expensive though. The cover the CSA license when you join them and its only like R200 odd bucks.

Id say the weekends race was well worth it. So the couple of other races I did.

Im not involved with the PPA in any way but, Id say go for the membership.

Like tankman said : you entries will be cheaper, your race times will be available and you'll get seeded, which means you'll get to race even faster and not get stuck behind the guy/girl still learning to do the downhills.

Lastly I Have to agree that if your on holiday in wp and wish to do a race here, it does seem a bit unfair to get a membership for only one race. Maybe the PPA should look at a day licence for timing or something. For us capies it will still be cheaper to get the membership as we do more races but for the visitor it will at least mean they will get to see their times.

I really enjoyed this section next to the railway lines :thumbup:

(the danger signs was a bit of a overkill, for every rock or half a klip, there was a danger sign!)

post-4352-0-97631200-1306757406.jpg

I get your gripe with not having a choice. sometimes that gets to me as well.

Cant say that they are supper expensive though. The cover the CSA license when you join them and its only like R200 odd bucks.

It is not the cost that bothers me, they have no competition, no one that can possibly do a better job or keep them on their toes. No one else offers a seeding system.

If we had a national seeding system, we could cut out middle men and we would not need to drive to moerlandspan to collect a stupid number the day before a race.

Clubs are able and very capable of organizing events ... look at ROAG or the Tour De Boland guys ... their events run pretty gooood!

if you pay R35 for a day licence why dont they give you your results,what is the R35 for ?

Cycling South Africa requires that you are licensed for any cycle races

You have a choice, either buy a day license for every race at R35 or buy yearly membership at R70

If you are doing more than two rides a year, obviously get the yearly membership.

Your yearly CSA membership is included with your yearly PPA membership