Breaking chains

JacquesT

broke a chain today, riding at Teak..never ever happened to me before..my second ride on this chain, so i guess bad fitment was the problem. I wasnt changing gears at the time, just cruising along..??

what is the best thing to do in a case like this, have a spare chain?

broke a chain today, riding at Teak..never ever happened to me before..my second ride on this chain, so i guess bad fitment was the problem. I wasnt changing gears at the time, just cruising along..??

what is the best thing to do in a case like this, have a spare chain?

Have a spare quick link and chain tool.

2. Use chain tool to remove damaged link(s). Ensure that you end up with rollers (not plates) at both ends of the chain.
  3. Fit chain using quick link to join ends.

This should get you home.

Just remember that the chain is shorter now so don't use big ring and large sprocket combination at all (should not do this in any case).

Replace with new chain ASAP.

Eat less Jungle Oats in the morning....

I think that's my problem... unlikely to be bad shifting... I run 1X9, with a chain guide, on both my bikes, and being a DHer/dirt jumper/freerider... I never feel save shifting under load, so I don't do it... we tend to select our gears during the calm, and keep our hands far away from the shifter when we're punting it towards a jump. Shifting then just throws off your mojo

Anyway... last chain I snapped was when I stood and started to accelerate and pull the bike up into one of those racing-type wheelies. Nearly ended up with my naughty-bits on the stem :blink: ...did get some pedal-rake on the back of my calves. Curse these powerful legs :P

Wow, do people actually still use pins to link chains?! I'm way too impatient/unhandy for that. Been using SRAM's different links for ages and never had a problem.

...when fixing the above mentioned chain-break, I had no quick-links handy... (although the chain already had one in, as do all my chains)... I had to fix it old school style. Use a chain breaker (those crappy ones on the multi-tools) to push a pin out. chuck away the broken link, and push the pin back in once I'm lined up the chain for re-joining. Do you know how hard it is to push that pin in straight with a multi-tool chain breaker?! wow!

Edited by patches

Another question regarding chains.

I broke my chain this weekend and had to take out 2 links to fix it again.

I just linked it together with the pin thats on the current link.

I rode further without any hassles.

Will this make a difference it I continue riding without these 2 missing links.

I thought the gears will jump, but it didn't.

I have the same query - how many links can you remove from a chain before you need a new longer chain?

I have the same query - how many links can you remove from a chain before you need a new longer chain?

As long as it does not break/over extends the rear derailleur when it's on the big-gig gear setting. I know you will never ride like that but that is a good way to be sure.

.....chuck away the broken link, and push the pin back in once I'm lined up the chain for re-joining. Do you know how hard it is to push that pin in straight with a multi-tool chain breaker?! wow!

Not sure if you are saying you pushed in a pin that was totally out - i.e. not attached ?

The answer is of course to push the pin out just far enough to open/break the chain - but leave it remaining/stuck in a link - not all the way out. I would have though it would be impossible to try and refit a pin that was totally removed before.

Anyway - done the above a couple of times and worked fine, but Like the other guys said, avoid the risks by keeping a new break-off pin or the 'quick link plates' in your bag.

Speaking of broken chains. It is becoming very common practice for people to ride long races or stage races with no tools or idea how to fix a broken chain. On the sani my dad stopped to ask a guy if he had a chain link as the guy had broken his chain. Naturally he said no. So my dad gave him one, to whch the reply was I don't have tools or know what to do. Not that it really matters too much but it cost us 15 min in time which would have placed us well in the B batch and not just in the C batch. I would have done the same as my dad, stopped and helped the guy no matter what, and have done so on many occasions, I just can't believe how un prepared people go into races.

I have taught my GF how to do chains, punctures etc on many occasions. Granted she never has to actually do it (well maintained bike by me ha ha) so she does forget. At least she carries all the tools, although this didn't help last year where she had all the tools but had forgotten. 5 guys later (and an hour) someone finally stopped who knew what to do. Took him 5 min.

Just a thought..........5c worth