Noisy Disc brakes

Spat

So enjoying the Mtb, still a novice on the downhills and use the brakes allot, I find that they are very noisy though, is there a way to clean disk brakes or how do you remedy noisy brakes?

There's a couple of remedies out there, but I'm still battling to silence the pig that chases my bike on the downhills.

You get off-the-shelf disc brake cleaner that you spray onto the rotors. This worked for my front brake, but not the back one.

Otherwise there's the Isopropyl Alcohol route that you use to wipe the rotors down. This basically breaks down organic residue on the rotors but this didn't help with my back brake either so I'm assuming that I have a warped rotor or vrot pads.

All I can say is - good luck :D

Edited by pauloc

Am not sure if what I do is right but every so often I lightly sand down the rotor (fine grade paper, circular motion) and brake pads and then cycle down some hills and pull the brake till it 'beds' in again. I noticed that the brake pads tend to glaze up. Prehaps it cause they are just cheapies? But so far so good with the Tektro brakes and their standard brake pads.

Use your fronts most of the time... the back brake rips trails to shreds, and has a lot less efficiency!

Only time you mustn't use the front is when you're tackling a dropoff of any size. Weight will shift too far forward and then you're over the bars.

Anything else, you should be braking before you think it's necessary in order to come into the tech section / corner with the desired level of speed, and you don't have to brake in the corner or on the rock - you've done all your braking beforehand.

As for the noise - you'll also find that they scream like a banshee when they're cold. Just feather them a bit to warm them up, and it might pass. Sintered pads are notorious for squealing when cold. Could also be that the pads themselves have become very "glossy" and have built up a residue that makes them smooth, rather than the normal sandpapery style texture. This is normally from long periods of use, or the pads overheating and thus glazing over. Try to rub a bit of 120 grit sandpaper between the pads (with the wheel OFF the bike) the re-rough them...

It also depends a lot on what type of pad you use , if it has got any amount of metal on the compound it will squeal and especially when they get a bit damp . I quite like the noise as it does announce your arrival SOON .

Am not sure if what I do is right but every so often I lightly sand down the rotor (fine grade paper, circular motion) and brake pads and then cycle down some hills and pull the brake till it 'beds' in again. I noticed that the brake pads tend to glaze up. Prehaps it cause they are just cheapies? But so far so good with the Tektro brakes and their standard brake pads.

Which model Tektro brakes do you have?

I have the Auriga Comps... standard metal sintered pads, seeing as my aftermarkets have now been consigned to the bin (worn down) Discs are the standard Tektro Wavy at the back, and Alligator Wave at the front.

Could not also be that they're worn and need replacing? Just replaced my brakes as they were well worn (and screamed like a banshee) and the new ones don't make a sound...

I have the Auriga Comps... standard metal sintered pads, seeing as my aftermarkets have now been consigned to the bin (worn down) Discs are the standard Tektro Wavy at the back, and Alligator Wave at the front.

Is what I'm getting.