Ideal jacket for winter riding?

Beer4Recovery

Sorry for changing the topic here but seeing that this is relating to keeping warm during winter riding I thought there might be a chance to ask around regarding a decent pair of riding pants? If not riding pants then what would you suggest? BTW, this is for MTB :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair for First Ascent's new long bib tights. I use them for MTB training and are comfortable.

I've got a pair of Giordana thermal bibs. It's not padded so I use it over another pair of bibs. The double insulation over the crotch are helps.

I've got a pair of Giordana thermal bibs. It's not padded so I use it over another pair of bibs. The double insulation over the crotch are helps.

Where did you get yours from?

I have a pair for First Ascent's new long bib tights. I use them for MTB training and are comfortable.

Where can I find a pair of First Ascent's long bib tights in CPT? If not then I don't mind shipping it down to here!

Where did you get yours from?

Westdene Cycles. But is was 3 years ago. Was just over R700 then. The most expensive piece of clothing I own.

Where can I find a pair of First Ascent's long bib tights in CPT? If not then I don't mind shipping it down to here!

Check Sportsman's Warehouse.

I got mine at Bush & Bundu in PMB. Can't remember the price.

Have your local First Ascent dealer order for you. Customer is king!

I find that I get wet from the inside...if a jacket is not breathable, i sweat it wet and then get cold from being wet inside.

So much so - my rain jacket is brilliant in keeping the sweat inside!! Wettre inside than outside :lol: :lol:

GoreTex works best... with a wicking baselayer in winter it can handle sweat build up nicely. Works ok in summer but not if too humid. I used to use my hiking jacket, until it was lifted by monkeyburglars out of my upstairs room while my dog snoozed downstairs... If I could afford it, I'd go for a 2-ply replacement. Paramo is a nice alternative, but gets a bit hot. www.paramo.co.uk

woolworths has nice tweed double breasted ones with front and internal pockets

Solomons had a bunch of elcheapo winter jackets labelled "Magic"

Those things are bloody warm, so much so that I've ended up wearing it off the bike more than on. It's gotta be damn freezing to keep wearing on the bike, within half an hour you're uncomfortably hot and the fit isn't that great.

It is what it is though and unbeatable for the price.

For a well made product that First Ascent jacket is king, comfortable, well designed and robust. It's cash well spent really, feel that about most of their range.

Generally though you should be able to comfortably ride with an undershirt and thermal armwarmers, a buff and/or fleece *beanie muff for the neck and possibly a windbreaker like the FA one, or a cheapie from Mr Price for example.

For me the above works because depending on how it warms up during the ride, I can peel some items off and stash them in my pocket easily enough.

*Sorry man, forgot to add the link for a 'beanie muff' ... before some thoughts went South for the winter ;)

http://www.firstascent.co.za/product-details.php?prodid=805&catid=241&level=3

Edited by danger dassie

Caerus: who in ZA? I would love to get one of their high vis jackets and some base layers. I also would lke to know if that nightvision jacket of theirs comes in the colors of TRON...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWT-FxvGkPU

Quite awesome, chap needs some work on the narration though :lol:

That TRONess brings back some memorys of the big raves and clubs

Jokes aside, would be awesome to see more stuff like that here, reflective stuff really is effective for visibility!

I really like the FA kit and echo Dassie's comment.

Most of my outdoor kit is made by them, save for a few capestorm bibs and running tights, the FA tights are too long for a small :angry:

I feel if you invest a bit it will be money well spent and will last a few winters.

I bought a whole range of winter stuff last season, even booties and a balaclava

Cost a bit of money but now come winter each year I'm set and can ride comfortably.