Joburg Critical Mass Friday 28 October 2011

skidd

I say lets go scare the residents of good ol' JNB on friday night!

Let 'em know bicycles have rights too!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold? Don't worry, I'm considering the logistics of dragging myself from my warm bed for the 06:45 ride tomorrow morning. In the CT dark. Oh, the things we do in the name of peaceful protest!

what distance are you looking at? and speed? i would not like being left behind and not know which way my car is ...

what distance are you looking at? and speed? i would not like being left behind and not know which way my car is ...

The distance is probably less than 10kms, and the pace will be relaxed. Rest assured we WILL NOT let anyone be dropped, left behind or get lost. It is going to be a fun ride, and the point is to stay in a group.

I'm not sure I understand the idea of riding through JHB CBD... Isn't the idea of Critical Mass to highlight the plight of cyclists? The only people that will see a critical mass in JHB CBD are taxi drivers, vagrants and criminals.

Surely Sandton CBD is a better idea?

Me personally I'm not a fan of Critical Mass - I love the idea of getting together and riding bikes but blocking traffic and generally being a nuisance like other Critical Masses I've seen does nothing positive for our already tarnished image.

The distance is probably less than 10kms, and the pace will be relaxed. Rest assured we WILL NOT let anyone be dropped, left behind or get lost. It is going to be a fun ride, and the point is to stay in a group.

10km in 2:30? Bring on the runnners, roller bladers, unicyclists and wheelchairs :P

I'm not sure I understand the idea of riding through JHB CBD... Isn't the idea of Critical Mass to highlight the plight of cyclists? The only people that will see a critical mass in JHB CBD are taxi drivers, vagrants and criminals.

Surely Sandton CBD is a better idea?

+ 1

Not sure I wouldn't rather take on taxi drivers, vagrants and criminals than Sandton's Mrs Soccer Mommy in her QashQai (pronounced "Cashcow", I think) who can't even see a cyclists from her Ivory Tower driving position. And Joburg CBD has the advantage of being a bit like an archeological expedition to see glorious old buildings (the ones that aren't burnt out) and past hot spots of nightlife. Anyway, we had one of the best winter turn-outs this morning in CT with about 40 of us, so I hope JHB goes even better (in view of the myth that you people up there are incredibly on-the-ball and paint-the-town-red and see-and-be-seen. Bwahahaha!

Not sure I wouldn't rather take on taxi drivers, vagrants and criminals than Sandton's Mrs Soccer Mommy in her QashQai (pronounced "Cashcow", I think) who can't even see a cyclists from her Ivory Tower driving position. And Joburg CBD has the advantage of being a bit like an archeological expedition to see glorious old buildings (the ones that aren't burnt out) and past hot spots of nightlife. Anyway, we had one of the best winter turn-outs this morning in CT with about 40 of us, so I hope JHB goes even better (in view of the myth that you people up there are incredibly on-the-ball and paint-the-town-red and see-and-be-seen. Bwahahaha!

Seriously, LeTurbo is the man!! How do you, a Capetonian, get it; and so many Joburgers don't?

After attending my 1st Critical Mass event - I must say that it was fantastic!!

No drunk taxi drivers, not much traffic either...

After a few kms - the cold didnt seem to matter much...

Riding in the city in the evening is definitely something that everyone should experience...

The ride will be happening again on the last Friday of every month...

Cant wait for the next one!

You can take your positive attitude comment and shove it where its dark and smelly!

1. Its FREEZING in Jhb with this cold front just arrived and staying the weekend.

2.Jhb taxidrivers are the arguably themost lethal in the country.

To go and try and compete for road space with them on their turf, on a friday night at the end of the month when 90% of them have been drinking since 18h30 is just plain idiotic.

3. As far as I am aware this is not a Jhb metro police sanctioned event, so that something else to think about it.

This isn't Cape Town, poephol!

You're welcome to it if you want it.

We're not avoiding life,we value it and are rather avoiding death.

Comment on the mountain, its what you know.

Spreading your particular brand of misery around will not dampen peoples spirits to have fun on their bikes.

Maybe you should try it and change your perspective on life...and death

Thanks everyone for coming, the even was fun, the next one promises to be even better. We have a good age range, from kids on BMXes to older dudes like me, all kinds of bikes, and everyone had fun.

I will be posting on the next one a few days before the event, keep your eyes peeled.

Join us, you will see your city as you never have before, and you will meet friendly, positive people who are there to have FUN!!

Next event 24 June 2011 - diarise!! Likely changes to start/finish and definite route changes. Look out for updates here

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the next event on 24 June 2011. Start / finish details and times to follow early next week.

Here is a link to a youtube clip of the last event posted by one of the riders