Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

I love Canon, the ease of use is a pleasure, saying that the manual functions on my Fuji X-100 also makes it a pleasure to use and it's an "over performer" in low light.

So to come back to bodies, that joystick on the 7D :w00t: once you get spoilt with it, you never look back.

The greatest thing about the Canon L-series zooms is that through the zoom range they deliver images equivalent to almost any prime lens, but ouch they are duur :whistling:

You do get what you pay for though...! I recently realised the benefits of shooting with low F stops... The effects are amazing. Looking forward to purchasing my 50mm prime lens!!!! (When the budget allows of course... :thumbdown: )

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, agree with the Canon's ease of use!

My wife is trying to get me to say that I'll buy her a 5d body (we've currently got a 450d) cos she wants the low-light capability that the 5D has when comparing with "prosumer" models. I'm trying to convince her that we should rather get the lenses first, as those will greatly enhance the current camera's useability and low-light response when it comes to longer zoom settings, as well as at below 50mm when the f1.8 prime can't be used.

The thing is, if we get the lenses now, we'll still have a camera to use them with. But if we get the new body now, we'll still have to get new lenses anyway...

The new lenses (thinking 24-70 f2.8L & a 100mm f2.8L) with the current cam will be far better than the existing lenses with a new cam, even taking into account the significantly superior low light characteristics that the 5d has.

One word remains though. OUCH! Those babies aren't cheap...

unless she is going to be doing studio work she doesnt need the 5d. With the 450 she should be able to use up to 1600 iso without to much of an issue.

like you said, rather get the lenses now. What is she shooting ? whilst the 70-200 f2.8 is the business, she might be able to get away with the cheaper f4.

Also, for all those budding photographers (or even if there are some pros here), check out photoclub.co.za .

Also, for all those budding photographers (or even if there are some pros here), check out photoclub.co.za .

I see Kay is involved there and if it's going to turn in to a clique like avforums, then no thanks.

I see Kay is involved there and if it's going to turn in to a clique like avforums, then no thanks.

kay is VERY quiet there. so no worries.

its very relaxed (and very quiet, we need more members), but you should get some good advise as there are a few pros on there.

Yeah, agree with the Canon's ease of use!

My wife is trying to get me to say that I'll buy her a 5d body (we've currently got a 450d) cos she wants the low-light capability that the 5D has when comparing with "prosumer" models. I'm trying to convince her that we should rather get the lenses first, as those will greatly enhance the current camera's useability and low-light response when it comes to longer zoom settings, as well as at below 50mm when the f1.8 prime can't be used.

The thing is, if we get the lenses now, we'll still have a camera to use them with. But if we get the new body now, we'll still have to get new lenses anyway...

The new lenses (thinking 24-70 f2.8L & a 100mm f2.8L) with the current cam will be far better than the existing lenses with a new cam, even taking into account the significantly superior low light characteristics that the 5d has.

One word remains though. OUCH! Those babies aren't cheap...

the value of the lens will far out weigh that of the new body. go for the lenses. the body can come later. i know professional photographers still shooting on 350D's and the like. and they create some wonderful images

the value of the lens will far out weigh that of the new body. go for the lenses. the body can come later. i know professional photographers still shooting on 350D's and the like. and they create some wonderful images

the Miss world final in 2009 was shot with a 350d. mainly because it was the only crop body available to us at the time and we were not allowed any closer (even though we were the official 'togs

unless she is going to be doing studio work she doesnt need the 5d. With the 450 she should be able to use up to 1600 iso without to much of an issue.

like you said, rather get the lenses now. What is she shooting ? whilst the 70-200 f2.8 is the business, she might be able to get away with the cheaper f4.

That's what I keep on saying.

She's getting into wedding photography, and does quite a few shots in low light (no studio) or at night so ISO sensitivity is a big issue. I don't care what anybody says, you should NOT use a flash at a wedding ceremony. And we can see how grainy it's getting at ISO 1600 on the 450, whilst using the 50mm f1.8. Also families & kids, so the increased burst-photo capability would also be good when it comes to kids (they NEVER keep still, and trying to catch a PROPER smile is one of the hardest thing to do when it takes 15 minutes for them to realise that you're not going to bite their heads off)

Also - she's using the "cyclist's argument" with me now, seeing as we've got a little one on the way. Discussion goes like this: (her) We want the best pics of our baby we can get, right? (me) Yeah, of course. (her) Then we need the best camera we can get, right? (me) I suppose (her) Then can you get me the 5d and a bevy of L lenses? (me) er.....

That's what I carry on saying...

A friend of mine rates that 350D as one of the best bodies Canon ever made (or was that the 300d... one of the two anyway!) A lot of the pro's use the xxxD'a as backup cameras as well.

She's getting into wedding photography, and does quite a few shots in low light (no studio) or at night so ISO sensitivity is a big issue. I don't care what anybody says, you should NOT use a flash at a wedding ceremony. And we can see how grainy it's getting at ISO 1600 on the 450, whilst using the 50mm f1.8. Also families & kids, so the increased burst-photo capability would also be good when it comes to kids (they NEVER keep still, and trying to catch a PROPER smile is one of the hardest thing to do when it takes 15 minutes for them to realise that you're not going to bite their heads off)

Also - she's using the "cyclist's argument" with me now, seeing as we've got a little one on the way. Discussion goes like this: (her) We want the best pics of our baby we can get, right? (me) Yeah, of course. (her) Then we need the best camera we can get, right? (me) I suppose (her) Then can you get me the 5d and a bevy of L lenses? (me) er.....

Ditch the 50 mm. f1.8 and get the f1.4.

The 5D has a bigger sensor, so bear that in mind too.

If I could be blatantly honest, hunt for a 50D and keep her happy with a great camera :thumbup:

i must admit tho, i love the 8fps of my 7D, when i first got it tho it kept catching me unaware.

but also in saying that, the only time i use it is for sport.

altho it can be handy with energetic laaaities.

if she is getting into weddings it might be in her best interest to get the 5D, but I have seen many photographers shoot on low end bodies with good lenses.

trick is to make it look good no matter what.

ouzo, you a tog fulltime?

ok, a couple of things here.

flash at weddings. it is needed. unless you are going to bring portable studio packs with you need some flash. learn how to use it properly (and get a decent flash) and you wont even know a flash was used.

5d for weddings, yes yes yes. but

kids and frame rate, 7D is better than 5D in this regard.

so after considering the above, if she really needs wants a new camera, then 7D is the one to get.

also, get something like noiseninja software to get rid of that grain at 1600

ok, a couple of things here.

flash at weddings. it is needed. unless you are going to bring portable studio packs with you need some flash. learn how to use it properly (and get a decent flash) and you wont even know a flash was used.

5d for weddings, yes yes yes. but

kids and frame rate, 7D is better than 5D in this regard.

so after considering the above, if she really needs wants a new camera, then 7D is the one to get.

also, get something like noiseninja software to get rid of that grain at 1600

+100

pretty much

lucky bugger, i can only dream, maybe one day haha

cant warrant the risk at the moment.

where are you based

lucky bugger, i can only dream, maybe one day haha

cant warrant the risk at the moment.

where are you based

based on the east rand, jhb.

was also always just a dream, did it part time for nearly 10 years, then at the end of 2010 my "normal" job contract came to an end, I struggled to find employment and decided stuff this, the time is now, lets do this full time.