Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took this one last Sunday morning before the start of Stage 3 of the Wine To Whales Adventure. Heard that the Race snakes had somewhat worse weather there today.

post-17716-0-18232600-1321199364.jpg

You photoshopped the great expanse of pine trees and left a patch for Movember, didn't you?

Zen like!

Oh, you wanted to see some more pine trees - on this one you can check the same lot out twice. Kind of MovemberrebmevoM.

post-17716-0-89766300-1321201008.jpg

Oh, you wanted to see some more pine trees - on this one you can check the same lot out twice. Kind of MovemberrebmevoM.

Flip flop.

post-13110-0-06901000-1321210297.jpg

Quite surreal.. one of earth's moons!

post-13110-0-09499600-1321210359.jpg

Edited by Pain or Shine

Flip flop.

Quite surreal.. one of earth's moons!

Bloody hell, just as well I don't do this for a living. :clap:

WOW,that's a awesome photo.

ok, lets try this again...

Some pics my late father took in his "office"

(he was a game ranger in Kanyemba, Zambezi Valley)

post-10758-0-41055600-1306933973.jpg

post-10758-0-83797700-1306933991.jpg

Oh WOW!! I have very special memories of epic fishing trips to Kanyemba... can't wait to take my boy up there when he is old enough to enjoy. It's not a place for sissies.

KZN - Hibberdene from last week, mostly at sunrise. I really need a long fast lens for the dolphins (saw whales twice but they were even further out from the shore. A telescope would be needed for those).

post-4257-0-33899900-1321356768.jpg

post-4257-0-63063800-1321356817.jpg

post-4257-0-94333500-1321356909.jpg

post-4257-0-34356900-1321356954.jpg

post-4257-0-16455600-1321356992.jpg

Our 15 year old daughter picked up my "old" Canon EOS 1000D and two months later with the help of Picasa she produced the following

Flickr

It is truly amazing looking at the world through another’s eyes.

Our 15 year old daughter picked up my "old" Canon EOS 1000D and two months later with the help of Picasa she produced the following

Flickr

It is truly amazing looking at the world through another’s eyes.

Your daughter has skills!! :thumbup:

Thank you for the kind words. We are very excited to see where she goes with this new found talent.

All I am happy with at the moment is that she spends more time on Flickr than on Facebook.

Fellow Photographers,

(Enough with the formal nonsense!!) Apologies for the hijack Dangle, but I have a decision to make at the moment... I am contemplating taking the Canon plunge. I am currently set up with a Sony Alpha 350 DSLR and I am looking at biting the bullet and moving across to the Canon stable. The reason being that there seems to be a bigger following in their stable than the Sony stable, and the fact that a friend of mine has a very large selection of Canon lenses and accessories that he has said I can use whenever I want...!!!

What I would like to know from people in the know is whether you think I am doing the right thing. I have heard on more that one occasion that it is not what is in your hand, but rather how you use it. Having said that I have had a look at the following two replacement models for my Sony, the Canon 600D and if I can stretch the budget that far, a 60D.

I have the following accessories to go with the camera:

- 4GB Axis Compact Flash 80X memory card

- Extra Battery (Original Sony NP-FM500H Info-lithium Li-ion battery displays percentage of battery life remaining)

- Sigma 70-300mm f4-5,6 zoom lens fitted with a 58mm UV filter

- Two circular polarised filters (55 & 58mm)

- Wired remote

- Conical petal lens hood (58mm)

- Hot Shoe adaptor from Sony proprietary mount to ISO Mount

- Gorilla Pod (adjustable and articulated tripod)

- Lens Pen

- Optical Glass LCD Screen Protector

- USB Card reader

- Cobra camera back pack

The cost of all the equipment new is around the R11,5k mark. I think a fair starting point for the second hand market would be at around R7,5k

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated!

Grebel, you will get many answers, as cycling people will list their preferences.

To be honest, if I had to get equipment all over again, I would probably look at Pentax, only problem, they are not as big as Nikon or Canon but what I like is that they have image stabilization in the body.

This makes lens and lens choices much cheaper.

I am however a Canon fan, I like the look of the bodies, I like their lenses, especially the L-series lenses.

If you have a friend who is offering lenses for use, you are going in the right direction.

Sure, yes the person holding the camera is where the picture comes in, I have seen some of your pics, and I like :thumbup:

My recommendation would be Canon, the 600 D is an awesome camera and to be honest between that and the 60 D ,I doubt you will see a difference.

I would look at frames per second, ISO capabilities and such if I was to make a choice.

If you can get a good secondhand 50 D, that would be awesome.

Cropped or full frame ?

Cropped sensor is good for most of what I like to do, I don't do studio work.

I think you are a more than worthy Canon user, get the Canon and you can buy my macro lens ;)