5150 - Daylight robbery

RaeTrewBrowne

Can I please ask where you see the pricing ? I've looked at the site and cannot find any mention of pricing.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Under Ironman SA section on www.triangle.cc

My link

I see Werner Smit is Race Director, has he left Troisport?

Edited by davem

Yes Werner has left Troisport and it is my understanding he is going to live down in Raynard Tissink country. Lucky chap :thumbup:

Still cannot find it :angry: I suppose I cannot see the pricing is because it is hidden by one of those "access denied" policy restrictions our brain dead IT security team has setup. Are there pictures of scantily clads girls I am not allowed to see :blush: on the Iron Man site.

So i took some time to read through some of the threads here.

I have been racing triathlons for 19 years now. I have raced local and international for most of this time and even spent 7 years only racing in Europe.

Before i even read the price of this race i thought that traithlon organizers are startign to line there pockets with entry fees.

I helped organize a local triathlon not to long ago.

The problem that most of these organizers have are either they have no clue on marketing their product --- thus not getting sponsors into the sport.

More and more sponsors want more exposure for their buck.

To host a one day event with no TV coverage will cost a sponsor (title sponsor) nothign less than R200 000.

With TV it is close to R400 000.

So why would they sponsor an event where they will maybe get 500 partisipants vs. a road or MTB cycle event that will attract 1500 - 40 000 participants.

So the end result is organizers need to make the money for hosting the event from entry fees.

Now you get an international event with LARGE LARGE sponsors, and these are the guys that are killing the sport with the entry fees.

They basically calculate the entry fees as follows:

Full IM R3500

70.3 R1750

5150 R875 (not early bird entry)

I say one can race 10 normal (still expensive for a Tri) events for a IM entry. For me the fun is in racing. I have done a number of IM already, so i got the T-shirt.

Training for IM takes exhorbitant amount of time where racing every weekend is far more fun.

Now here is the real comparison:

Triathlon events R300 - R3500 (Avg participants 300 - 1500)

Road cycle events R150 - R300 (Avg participants 500 - 5000)

Mountain Bike events R130 - R350 (Avg participants 500 - 2000)

Road Running races R40 - R130 (Avg participants 1500 - 20 000)

Road running races have good road closure, good safety and often at big events like 2 Oceans Great goody bags.

So why can they not be more like road and MTB races???

Triathlons should be even cheaper than most other races purely to attrack numbers, not chase them away...!!!!!

From the Press Release:

"Series points for Elite/Professional triathletes

10 qualifying slots per age group for the 2012 Hy-Vee 5150 US Championships".

Anyone know about this? Is this an annual series points system to qualify and just limited to a one race series this year?

It is items likes this which do differentiate for the faster athletes.

You are free not to enter if you are not happy....huh.gif

Schwynn - Its not about not wanting to enter. Unfortunately there are so few Triathlons in our calanders that we all want to participate in every event we can. But this event entry costs more than 2 or 3 others.

The problem we have in SA is water. good clean lakes with good enough venues to host triathlons in.

Germiston was a good venue for long, but i heard that Germiston can not be used at this stage due to very high (100 times more than safety level) bacteria levels.

So no more JHB City Tri's, no BSG tri's....

So events are limited. bring it to the masses rather than selecting the higher earning salary group to race.

i would rather race an MTB race on the same day and get the same amount of fun for 1/6th the price.

Edited by TriGuru76

Schwynn - Its not about not wanting to enter. Unfortunately there are so few Triathlons in our calanders that we all want to participate in every event we can. But this event entry costs more than 2 or 3 others.

The problem we have in SA is water. good clean lakes with good enough venues to host triathlons in.

Germiston was a good venue for long, but i heard that Germiston can not be used at this stage due to very high (100 times more than safety level) bacteria levels.

So not more JHB City Tri's, not BSG tri's....

So events are limited. bring it to the masses rather than selecting the higher earning salary group to race.

i would rather race an MTB race on the same day and get the same amount of fun for 1/6th the price.

Would be very nice if they could add a olimpic distance event to the BSG series!!! :clap:

That price is nuts for an Olympic Distance Race. The local OD races here in Durban are R250 for pre-entry which I think is about fair.

With an IM there is alot of fan fair that goes with the race that is included in the price such as pre race dinner, good quality shirt, bag, medal and certifcate, awards ceremony the next day, free food after the race..... so I think they can almost justify the cost. (almost)

Have they clarified what u get for the entry fee, if u just get to race and nothing else then yes it's a rip. So let's see what is in the entry, but it better be damn good for this price!

What gets me is the minute you mention triathlon or put the letters "tri" in anything the price goes through the roof and not just the race entries :angry:

Lets assume that I cough up the R695 to enter before 10 June. What am I going to spend getting to Bela Bela.

Petrol costs @ R0.80/km = R270

Toll fees (assuming that only the existing tolls are in operation) = R 87

Maintenance costs @ R1.00/km = R340

Therefore to enter an Olympic distance race is going to cost me slightly under R 1 400 without buying food!

Makes you think...........doesn't it.

Vakit, lets boycott the event.

Give me a special entry. R200 and you can keep all the T-shirts, medals etc.

Why must I finance the winners purse? I am not in it to win it..........

Why does the word "sponsorship" exist?

WTF?