What makes a MTB climb better?

RoboLuke

Weight. Read an article the other day on what just 2 kilo's of added weight does to a cyclist on a climb. Can't remember the length of the climb but the penalty was 1min 30sec. Will go look for the article.

I suspect that weight can only make a difference when all else is equal.

2 riders, same weight, same fitness same everything except bike weight, that could be true yes, but an unfit person on a light bike will strugle and loose much more than 1:30 on a climb than me with my little bit of fitness and heavy bike

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that weight can only make a difference when all else is equal.

2 riders, same weight, same fitness same everything except bike weight, that could be true yes, but an unfit person on a light bike will strugle and loose much more than 1:30 on a climb than me with my little bit of fitness and heavy bike

Weeeeeeeeeeeell, the OP asked what makes a MTB climb better. So I assumed he want's to upgrade HIS bike and thus wanted to know where he needs to spend money to make it climb better.

If he wanted to know how HE can climb better, he should have asked that, no?

Ja, ja,I know he said apart fromloosing weight...But to me there is just one thing that willmake a bike climb better and that is to get rid of excess weight first.

Edited by MJ loves MTB

Lets try another angle...say I suck at hills (thats a fact) and I detemined that I should buy a bike more suited for climbing (not a fact but a dream)....then how will I know - looking at the specs or physically looking at a bike...that it would be good for climbs?

how good your drivetrain is. gritty bearing=morefriction=slower, to the power of simple

Guest agteros

Lighter bike, shorter suspension travel, alternatively an engine ;)

Loose the rear suspension and choose smaller wheels.

Then get a new left and right leg :thumbup:

Smaller wheels climb better? Just curious...don't want this to turn into a wheelsize debate.

On rocky terrain my Epic climbs better than my Scale 30. Loads of traction available. On gravel I prefer my Scale. :)

Edited by Joris748

Burglar bars are made from steel.

Have you ever looked in to steel frames ?

Not the cheap burglar bar stuff, but the stuff from Reynolds.