Fake merchandise...

bontie

Makes you think what are you actually buying Original or Fake??? And what is Fake now a days as almost everything comes from China ;)

I've seen Fake FSA, Pina and Specialized Products for Sale online, and very easy to Import.....I would rather buy Fake then a bike brought in Unbranded with a couple custom "Stickers" and sold for 5 times the Price..... :lol:

Chinarellos are cool man, read a couple overseas forums and they have a big following. Surprisingly after all my reading the only ones that i have come across that break were the original ones.... :D

Good fakes!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to claim that I don't buy fakes, but then looked at the anti inflamitaries I am about to take. Its a generic (fake?). How do you's rightous folk feel about Generics?

Well, you cant stop people from copying formula, but you can stop the branding. Did you buy Grampa or Granpa headache powders?

I was about to claim that I don't buy fakes, but then looked at the anti inflamitaries I am about to take. Its a generic (fake?). How do you's rightous folk feel about Generics?

Good question. In my opinion they are one and the same, a "fake" item is generally a replica made by a company not affiliated to or commissioned by the OEM manufacturer, same as a "generic".

There is no reason to think a replica (Generic) is inferior either, although some might be, a good majority are of equal or better quality.

...and for all the rightious folk who "never buy replica's" I dont believe you, there are replica's in every market, in every product, in every industry, in every country in the world.

Got a "non manufacturers" filter in your car.....well its a generic, bought any medication lately, chances are it was a generic, those "no name light bulbs" you bought at the supermarket - generic's, your no name washing powder - yeah guess what, generic, - Replica's are part and parcel of our life today, some replica's are so good they have evolved into a brand of their own one only needs to look at certain car parts to see that, but of course some are just poor knock offs, I guess the trick is to know which to buy.

That said even the cheap knock offs have a place, would you buy your 6 year old kid a pair of expensive genuine Brand names shoes at 700 bucks, and they grow out of them in 2 months - I doubt it, but you will buy a generic at 2/300 bucks, the youngster wont know the differance and if they are too small after two months, who cares, toss em out and buy another.

...would you buy your 6 year old kid a pair of expensive genuine Brand names shoes at 700 bucks, and they grow out of them in 2 months

A lot of new South Africans do while on their way to the council building they are about burn down because food prices are too high.

Good question. In my opinion they are one and the same, a "fake" item is generally a replica made by a company not affiliated to or commissioned by the OEM manufacturer, same as a "generic".

There is no reason to think a replica (Generic) is inferior either, although some might be, a good majority are of equal or better quality.

...and for all the rightious folk who "never buy replica's" I dont believe you, there are replica's in every market, in every product, in every industry, in every country in the world.

Got a "non manufacturers" filter in your car.....well its a generic, bought any medication lately, chances are it was a generic, those "no name light bulbs" you bought at the supermarket - generic's, your no name washing powder - yeah guess what, generic, - Replica's are part and parcel of our life today, some replica's are so good they have evolved into a brand of their own one only needs to look at certain car parts to see that, but of course some are just poor knock offs, I guess the trick is to know which to buy.

That said even the cheap knock offs have a place, would you buy your 6 year old kid a pair of expensive genuine Brand names shoes at 700 bucks, and they grow out of them in 2 months - I doubt it, but you will buy a generic at 2/300 bucks, the youngster wont know the differance and if they are too small after two months, who cares, toss em out and buy another.

Scary thing with todays kids is that they are very aware of brands and whats cool or not.

Scary thing with todays kids is that they are very aware of brands and whats cool or not.

Older kids probably.....but not 6 year old's...surely.?

Older kids probably.....but not 6 year old's...surely.?

You better believe it.

I did some work for a local manufacturer who produced pistons for a very well known German car brand. The factory had 2 production lines producing exactly the same part. One had a official manufacturers stamp on it and the other had no stamp on it. One went into a fancy box and the other went into a plain white box. One costs a fortune the other not.

In my field, manufacturing of equipment is dominated by a few German and American companies. They have had lots of problems over the years with cheap fakes competing with their products. Now they have started an affiliate company that design cheaper equipment and have it manufactured in China. The end products are better quality than the fakes and compete with them on price. Out-faking the fakers?

well personally i have no problem with fake merchandising as long as the seller doesn't try sell it off as a real deal at the originals market prices.

i mean not everyone can afford the real deal. i mean as a student i cant exactly go and drop say R600 on a replica rugby jersey, but can quite comfortably afford a R200 robot replica, granted that i cant complain when one of the sleeves falls off etc lol, generally you get what you pay for.

Until it's your company's product that is having its copyright infringed upon. Let's see how you'll feel when you've invested millions in product dev, marketing etc only to have some criminal ride that and undercut you.

There is NOTHING good about fake merch. It's stealing. If you can't afford to buy a product, then you can't buy it.

The original manufacturer has, theoretically, had twenty years of exclusive market access before their patents expire and the generics enter the market.

I am less morally concerned about buying generic drugs than knock-off clothing. The life-saving benefits of making a cheaper generic drug accessible to many people are significantly higher than the (almost nonexistent) benefits of flooding the market with Foakleys.

Finally, there is a difference between a generic and a fake product. The generic does the same job, with the same effectiveness as the original (disregarding the placebo effect of taking a non-generic). A fake pretends to be the original and is often of a lower quality. You might say that a Raleigh is the generic version of a Pinarello: does the same job, without the flash, at a much lower price.

I did some work for a local manufacturer who produced pistons for a very well known German car brand. The factory had 2 production lines producing exactly the same part. One had a official manufacturers stamp on it and the other had no stamp on it. One went into a fancy box and the other went into a plain white box. One costs a fortune the other not.

Why did they need two lines? Surely one line with two labelling stamps would work as well?

Two lines might imply different tolerances, material grades or QC processes - hence the price difference.

All of you are :offtopic:

Fakes and "non original" are not the same thing.

If i buy a Swatch watch that looks just like a Rolex, same colours, feel, dials etc but says Swatch, it is not a fake. A Rolex bought in a chinese shop for R100 that says Rolex, is a fake.

I have no problem buying non originals as long as they dont try and trick me into thinking that it is original.

Not sure if my mail order wife is a fake or generic version of the picture I saw :unsure: