Shova frame weight

Nobody

Well I have both bikes and they are both neat machines.

Bantam with mags, lowered springs and V8 engine from Benoni.

Still prefer the idea of a porsche cayene, but that just me :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zula: 2.45 is on the heavy side for a XC racer, but it's a damn fine first attempt. Anthem X is around 2.3k's, but has been going for a while. To eek the last couple of grams off is a lot tougher than the "over build". Shocker to think that that is now more than Ibis's 140mm Trailer ripper!

Shova: 3.3 wasn't so bad way back when, but tech has moved on considerably the last couple of years so much so that the expected weight for an Alu 140mm bike is in the 2.7kg range. Rumour has it that the Shova replacement will be quite a bit lighter. Just remember that the Shova shouldn't really be compared to just any 140mm bike. It is closer in design and philosophy to an Orange or Marin. It is build as a hardcore trail /AM bike. Meant to be punished, dropped, jumped and hucked. So as long as Morewood stick to that thinking for the "Shova" it will always be heavier than a Reign or Enduro on Remedy and the likes.

Harness the gnarness!

Ths BB on the sukuma looks a tad weak, but we know how these machines are over tested in development.

Well I have both bikes and they are both neat machines.

Bantam with mags, lowered springs and V8 engine from Benoni.

Ridden by a little old lady clap.gif

Ths BB on the sukuma looks a tad weak, but we know how these machines are over tested in development.

are these in full production yet? Anyone seen one on the trails?

are these in full production yet? Anyone seen one on the trails?

Apparently they have sorted the jigs and are / or should be doing production runs. Last I heard was for October to November.

What was to be an first quarter launch, was moved to mid-year and after a long chat with the Morewood guys this morning, I figure production bikes will be ready by Spring - over tested + optimized indeed. You need not worry about a single aspect of the new bike's design and build.

The only weight given there is for an older frame. Thought the butting and materials used would have changed the weight slightly.

Thanks for the confirmation on weights.

I was wondering why at 3.2 kilos, the zula only got down to 2.45 kilos. Its like a hilux and a bantam comparison, no?

lets put that into perspective:

All XC bikes:

Santa Cruz Blur XC (carbon) is 1.85kg

Santa Cruz Superlight is 2.43kg

Ibis Mojo SL is 2.4kg

Morewood Zula is 2.45kg

Trail Bike

Santa Cruz Blur TR (carbon) is 2.2kg

Santa Cruz Blur TR (carbon) is 2.65kg

I think the Zula at 2.45kg is a good weight!

Edited by Chubba

What was to be an first quarter launch, was moved to mid-year and after a long chat with the Morewood guys this morning, I figure production bikes will be ready by Spring - over tested + optimized indeed. You need not worry about a single aspect of the new bike's design and build.

Any idea on the pricing of a kwela 29er? You seem to be a man in the know @ morewood

Any idea on the pricing of a kwela 29er? You seem to be a man in the know @ morewood

R6850 but shop around for a deal. They'll hit the shelves by the end of the month.

Crow

Can you please give me a quote on a Shova Decal Kit .... I have sent many mails to many people and nobody has even come back to me yet!

R6850 but shop around for a deal. They'll hit the shelves by the end of the month.

Not cheap but not bad. Can do a build for under 20k

Not cheap but not bad. Can do a build for under 20k

29er? Rather get a 26 Ibis or Santa Cruz! :)

29er? Rather get a 26 Ibis or Santa Cruz! :)

No need. Im more XC.

Zula is all the trail bike I need.

In a perfect world you do need a trail bike as well

Crow

Can you please give me a quote on a Shova Decal Kit .... I have sent many mails to many people and nobody has even come back to me yet!

Andre from Rush will get in touch with you on Monday. Pity I didn't know sooner - got a order on the way to Cycle Factory Store and we could've dropped it in there. As far as I know they have some in stock.

No need. Im more XC.

Zula is all the trail bike I need.

In a perfect world you do need a trail bike as well

I reckon a nice trail bike and an XC bike would be great in the quiver.

For those times you want to try a bigger jump or drop-off.

Would get a trail or all mountain way before a 29'er.

Jokes aside RE Nobody being a little lady rider, he has two nice Morewoods and they get better every other week as he pimps them further.