Heart rate and the Science or lack theiroff.

I was just wondering about this heart rate thing, Im 32 suppose to have a theoretical Max heart rate of 186.

How many times does this issue crop up, 30 years ago max hr may have been relevant but why it is still referred to nowadays so often in HR training guides never ceases to amaze me. I suppose on average it is reasonably accurate and simple for first time HR users to use as a basis for establishing training zones.

I wonder how many people have been injured or at worst expired as a result of doing a max HR test?

Hi,

Max HR is a poor predictor of performance. If training by HR then rather use LTHR (lactate), which is the average heart rate acheived during an all out sustained effort lasting 30 minutes.

Base your training zones on LTHR

Hi,

Max HR is a poor predictor of performance. If training by HR then rather use LTHR (lactate), which is the average heart rate acheived during an all out sustained effort lasting 30 minutes.

Base your training zones on LTHR

Genau!

Before you expire....

This is also confusing my MAX is supposed to be 183 ( i am 45 ) and at 167 - 170 it feels if i am dying....there is just nothing in my legs left when doing intervals on a slight up hill for 250m - 500m..... and i am on a training program written for me??

This is also confusing my MAX is supposed to be 183 ( i am 45 ) and at 167 - 170 it feels if i am dying....there is just nothing in my legs left when doing intervals on a slight up hill for 250m - 500m..... and i am on a training program written for me??

That (dying....there is just nothing in my legs) sounds about normal for that level of intensity, especially if you are not used to training at that intensity.

Not everyone's heart pumps the same volume of blood per stroke. What matters is the amount of oxygen / CO2 that can be exchanged by the lungs into /out the blood stream. The heart simply reacts to the oxygen demand that is placed on it and it will beat faster to compensate for oxygen debt. I can sit on a trainer at a fixed wattage and see my HR fluctuate +-20 BPM simply by adjusting my breathing tempo.

- I know from experience that I can go a very very long time at 133. LSD.

- I know that I can do 40km mtb races with a constant hr of 166 without cramping.

- I know that if I push it over 170 for more than 15 minutes continuously I WILL cramp.

- I know that I will hit the wall if I had not eaten when my hrm shows I have 'used' 1000kcal.

- I know tat if it is a stage race and I have not eaten at 600kcal on the second day of a stage race, I will hit the wall.

I use my HR monitor in very much the same way - but never thought of using the used Kcal as a tool. :huh: Sometimes the most logical and obvious ideas eludes me. But will definitely do that in future :)

Edited by Mads

HR can be very scientific if used correctly. But most people just buy a HRM and then try train with it. To be effective you got to get the right values and that means going for a blood lactate test. Then zones are calculated according to the results. Then HR training is effective. But without the test the margin of error is too great and you could actually be training in the wrong zone.