1000m of climbing over 10km, can I do it???

swartpiet

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

boet, I think you will probably be able to walk faster than ride up that last section :lol: :lol:

Sterkte! :thumbup: :thumbup:

@swartpiet, good luck, I might see you there. I am going to Swadini on Sunday till the following Sunday, so I will probably only ride up to Mariepskop on Monday. I plan on doing it a few times during the week. Twice in a row? Well not on the Monday anyway, and not very fast then. I am trying to procure a GoPro before the weekend so that I can record the downhill section.

Do it on a CX bike and I'll watch it.

Ya I was thinking the same, on a road bike or Cyclocross you would have shed some fat for sure..but on a mtb you can just spin away la la laa...

@swartpiet, good luck, I might see you there. I am going to Swadini on Sunday till the following Sunday, so I will probably only ride up to Mariepskop on Monday. I plan on doing it a few times during the week. Twice in a row? Well not on the Monday anyway, and not very fast then. I am trying to procure a GoPro before the weekend so that I can record the downhill section.

Hey BigGuy, pm me your cell no. Maybe we can meet up.

3 times in big chain ring gets you R100 from me

Hey, don't tempt me, I have a 42t big ring and 36t cluster in my spares box. I also have a big mouth and stay in Gauteng where the mountains are huge.

Ya I was thinking the same, on a road bike or Cyclocross you would have shed some fat for sure..but on a mtb you can just spin away la la laa...

True, but then again, a road bike has much less friction and weighs about 4kg+ less.

Hey, don't tempt me, I have a 42t big ring and 36t cluster in my spares box. I also have a big mouth and stay in Gauteng where the mountains are huge.

I stand by my offer.....3 x in big chain ring, you can choose the ratio. (valid till 31/12/2011) :thumbup:

I stand by my offer.....3 x in big chain ring, you can choose the ratio. (valid till 31/12/2011) :thumbup:

There must be some sort of discount if the rider is more than 100kg?:unsure:

I will definitely keep this tempting offer in the back of my mind...for now I will be happy if I can scale that thing once without stopping.

Thanks Rudo. Im not sure the other hubbers understand what a massive challenge this is. That pass is not your average climb or training ride.........

You're right, it doesnt really capture the imagination to be honest. 10/11 riders take cpl hrs to ride up big hill? Good personal achievement but hard to package and sell.

Edited by Joe Low

You're right, it doesnt really capture the imagination to be honest. 10/11 riders take cpl hrs to ride up big hill? Good personal achievement but hard to package and sell.

So what will capture the imagination in your opinion Joe?

So what will capture the imagination in your opinion Joe?

Hmmm rollerblading chimps are always good.

Thought about this when i was shaving this morning -

Last Sept i was on the Change a Life ride in Malawi, 70 of us and the last day was 160kms. It was uphill for the last 30 of that and the last 7kms we went up 700mtrs to the top of Zomba plateau. All middle aged plodders plus Malcolm Lange, Owen Hanie, Gerald de Koch, and a former para-olympian & tv cameras on motorbike and gyropcopter.

That climb was worth about 7mins TV of the 50min programme; a programme i've only watched once and that only becuz i was in it. Watchin cyclin is generally very boring & though the mountain was fairly tough to ride it was no big thing really and so 1,000mtrs in 10kms likewise.

Get some rollerblades :)

I will make sure to do this ride when I go to Swadini again. How do I get to this 'Mariepskop'?

Google "Mariepskop Nature Reserve". Mariepskop is quite close to Swadini, but Swadini is located at a dead end, so you have to drive back to the main road, go south and turn right by the Klaserie 1 stop, carry on for a few kays and then pay R30 at the forestry office. Or something like that. I hope they do not charge me every time I ride the hill otherwise I will only make R10 profit (R100 from manbearpig - (3 x 30)). I might report back in 2 weeks time if all went well otherwise I will be silent and claim to have had an injury or cold. :whistling: I am sure Swartpiet will do a write-up though.

You can do it, good luck!

I did a ride not so long ago in France, the Vosges region, pretty beautiful scenery, and some tough mountains.

To cut a very long story short, the final climb was 5km long (very short in comparison to what i had climbed all day) but it was at the end of 205km of racing and 4000m of climbing. The gradient was sadistic, it averaged around 10% for the 5km and took me 47 minutes to climb that 5km. That is more than 9minutes per km.

I was well #$%^@ at that time but i did it nonetheless.

You can do it.

PS: I hate hills