Brakes.

Pieter1

Hi.

My brake pad is constantly rubbing against the disk and is slowing down the wheel quite a lot. I have loosened the wheel, spinned it, pulled the brake and re-tightend the wheel. I have also losened the pad, spinned it and pulled the brake and tightend it. Both methods did not work. The disk is not warped. Have you guys (or girls) got any other ideas?

Thank you in advance.

post-25481-0-20526000-1309457579.jpg

post-25481-0-38805800-1309457592.jpg

post-25481-0-22042900-1309457604.jpg

post-25481-0-87751000-1309457615.jpg

Take the wheel off and push in something (hard cardboard or plastic - that wont damage anything) into the calliper to force the pistons out as much as possible and leave it overnight. Should be ok in morn - worked for me when I had the same problem.

Edited by Aonyx

Thanks guys! I have only had the bike for a month and done about 100ks, could they really be worn? Think I'll try the cardbord thing first. Between metal and resin pads, which are better?

Sintered, for sure. But just check your rotors, 'cos they might be resin specific!

Resin does stop far easier, but they tend to overheat a lot faster than their sintered cousins. They also wear a lot faster!!!

As for the wear, they shouldn't be shot after just 100km. No way. Unless you've been braking the whole time on a 15% downhill!

And just seen the little warning on your rotors... "resin pads only"

if you go for sintered pads, you'll have to change the rotors as well. If you do that, go for some Swisstop pads though. Good stuff!

Erm... Depends on which you go for...

Alligator rotors are pretty good. I've got windcutters

post-3056-0-90510900-1309464737.jpg

And they cool down well, and stop me nicely. They're about R 200 per rotor.

The other option is a set of Avid Cleensweeps, which are a bit more expensive at approx R 400 each, but they're good.

Then the pads (swisstop) vary in price from R 200 to R 400 per set, depending on where you go to get them.

Take the wheel off and push in something (hard cardboard or plastic - that wont damage anything) into the calliper to force the pistons out as much as possible and leave it overnight. Should be ok in morn - worked for me when I had the same problem.

What is the reason you leave it overnight? - time for the Disprin to work properly?

Try replacing the non standard splitpin that holds the pads in the calliper with the original bolt that is suppose to be in there.

I often have this problem (usually after taking the wheel off to clean/service) and your best bet is to just carry on loosing the caliper and retightening, it does come right eventually. Also remove the wheel and put something smooth and broad between the pads and 'gently' lever them to open them up slightly more. Have you had this problem since new as prehaps there is too much mineral oil in the reservoir to allow the pistons to settle back?

a buddy of mine had a similar issue. The solution was to loosen the quick release a little, see if that helps

Sintered, for sure. But just check your rotors, 'cos they might be resin specific!

Resin does stop far easier, but they tend to overheat a lot faster than their sintered cousins. They also wear a lot faster!!!

As for the wear, they shouldn't be shot after just 100km. No way. Unless you've been braking the whole time on a 15% downhill!

"but they tend to overheat a lot faster than their sintered cousins."

Other way round dude...

Try replacing the non standard splitpin that holds the pads in the calliper with the original bolt that is suppose to be in there.

This man may have struck on it, although that is the standard split pin.

Check that the split-pin has not been bent over until it is tight. It should be able to move slightly in and out when you pull on the eye.