What must people think when you pass by...?

Mojoman

Are your legs not in the way of seeing whats in front of the wheel?

Wait - I'll try find a google video - can understand it on the tar, but cannot get my head around it offroad...

Tar:

post-1360-0-62607300-1309961344.png

Off-road?

post-1360-0-95385700-1309961362.png

It is called a recumbent. You get them in tandem as well. They are very fast on downhills and flats but the small wheel size makes them a bitch to balance on climbs.

Also known as sweatybacks.

Mind if I point out that wheel size has nothing to do with balance? Sorry, just did.

There's a big sweatyback culture in the US and there's always an argument raging between us normal okes and those riding those stupid geeky things. The bantering is worse than the 29 thing here even.

I tried chess at school but my size counted against me.

Picking up pawns with them chubby fingers is a bitch huh?

Bwaahahahahahaha oh I kill me.

If someone passed me by on that thing I'd sell my mountain bike and take up chess.

Just imagine that a tricyce forced you to play chess against snotty schoolchildren!

post-24908-0-98600300-1309961065.jpg

Also known as sweatybacks.

Mind if I point out that wheel size has nothing to do with balance? Sorry, just did.

There's a big sweatyback culture in the US and there's always an argument raging between us normal okes and those riding those stupid geeky things. The bantering is worse than the 29 thing here even.

Pray please tell why uphills are a bitch on these things, center of gravity perhaps

Edited by eccentric1

Pray please tell why uphills are a bitch on these things, center of gravity perhaps

Because standing up to change/rest your leg muscles is a wee problem...

Because standing up to change/rest your leg muscles is a wee problem...

I do not think that is the correct answer, unfortunately.

Google is BOSS -

•Recumbents are less stable at very slow speeds due to the lower center of gravity. Consequently, it’s harder to keep a recumbent bike in a straight line when going up a steep hill.

•Recumbents are harder to ride on gravel roads and other slippery surfaces for 3 reasons: 1.Lower center of gravity, which literally causes you to fall over more quickly.

2.On a recumbent you can’t shift your body weight around to compensate for minor fishtailing of the wheels.

3.On a recumbent your legs are horizontal, so you can’t “fall standing up” when you lose control at low speed.

•Recumbents are heavier than most upright bikes due to a longer chain, heavier seat, (sometimes) heavier frame. So recumbents are usually slower than upright bikes when going uphill.

Edited by eccentric1

I do not think that is the correct answer, unfortunately.

It was my big problem during my years of racing recumbents/pedal cart racing.

The other was that on a bike you can swing your hips and stabilise with your arms - not such luck in a recumbent - hips are fixed.

Third one is that you have to fight gravity and the pedals on your back - on a bike the weight of your legs is supported by your ass.

Need more reasons?

It was my big problem during my years of racing recumbents/pedal cart racing.

The other was that on a bike you can swing your hips and stabilise with your arms - not such luck in a recumbent - hips are fixed.

Third one is that you have to fight gravity and the pedals on your back - on a bike the weight of your legs is supported by your ass.

Need more reasons?

No, see my edit above