what makes disc brakes beter that vbrakes

Rancher

I would like to know why disc brake instead of vbrake, are they realy that much better?

Oh.....Here comes a fightsmileys/smiley36.gif Disc brakes are overrated and high maintanance. They are heavier and gives almost the same performance as decent V-brakes.

ur right there Mud Dee,  but there is more...

it all depends on the individual really. Discs, a top of the range disc brake is fantastic, Ive got hope mono minis and they stop on a dime. means u can go that much faster cos u can stop that much faster. Def gives you more confidence, maintainence for me hasnt been bad they havent given much trouble and Ive had them for 2 years, on average though they are more admin. A cheap even middle of the range disc brake is still outdone by a good set of V's, so if it's a choice btw top V's and average discs it's V's. Discs perform way better in the wet weather so if u like playing in the mud it's a better choice. Nowadays I wouldnt say the weight difference is that much of an issue.

no what i meant was that they make disc's pretty damn light nowadays and weight is an issue for me a little bit of extra weight makes more of a difference to me than it would a heavier person, theoretically. You are right though I dont count grams much personally! 

smileys/smiley5.gif . Do you wanna be able to have total control over your braking power or do you just wanna stop sometime ?

If you answer control get disks .

YOu don't even need top of the range brakes either . If you installed them properly the first time and made sure they have been bled properly the only thing you need to do besides pulling the lever (with one finger) is replace the pads from time to time .

I am not gonna talk about the weight issue as it is a roadie issue and not relevant .

Why do I wanna pull the lever with only one finger....smileys/smiley5.gif And then if you need to relies on your brakes to give you bike controll...shame!smileys/smiley36.gif

thanx dirt im anyway not worried about weight, im 95kg and 1.98m tall.

does lenght make a difference?

YOu don't even need top of the range brakes either . If you installed them properly the first time and made sure they have been bled properly the only thing you need to do besides pulling the lever (with one finger)

is replace the pads from time to time .

I only use 1 finger on my V's smileys/smiley36.gif

Why do I wanna pull the lever with only one finger....Click on image to open in new window And then if you need to relies on your brakes to give you bike controll...shame!Click on image to open in new window[/quote']

On a technical decent you only HAVE 1 FINGER to pull the brake!  smileys/smiley17.gif

we havent mentioned hydraulic vs mechanicla either, not that mechanical even register...hydraulics all the way...

JR only because your other finger is in ur nose !!smileys/smiley36.gif .

If you really wanna be in control of your bike you need to know how to use the whole bike ! Sliding around the corner because of inadequite brakes (That would be v-brakes) is not bike control . YOu okes are giving me a headache , I am going for a beer rather .

what some other guy had to say:" Are disks better than V-brakes? The answer: it depends on you. I've been using V-brakes, Kool-stop pads on ceramic rims, and found them to be more than adequate for my type of riding. I've used XT disks on a friend's bike, and found that I disliked the fact that the lever throw was very short, and that almost all the power came on almost at once. I'll probably need 4 or 5 rides to get used to the reduced modulation, an investment of time that I won't make because:

V-brakes are good enough for the feeble type of cross-country riding that I do;

V-brakes are lighter;

V-brakes are less complex, thus easier to set up and maintain (no annoying rotor rub);

V-brakes are cheaper. "

I agreeClick on image to open in new window

Me againsmileys/smiley5.gif . SARA it also is not totally true . I got a pair of cable disks on one of my bikes ( donno model and make) which comes very close to my cheap hydraulics , but I need two fingers for them .

But if you gonna go disk it makes sense to do hydro .

I'm still out shopping for the ideal disk setup, one thing in favour of disks is the pain of having to adjust the v brake pad clearance, toe in/ out, squareness etc....