Chain-L: Great reviews in Bicycling SA and Ride!!

Chain-L

I also liked it and also think it is too thick. Lasts quite a while but I had to warm it up to get it to flow out of the bottle properly. Still have about 3/4 of a bottle of anybody want to try it. R50 is a bargain. Like André Traut, I'm also on Motorex for the MTB.

Where do you get Motorex?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you get Motorex?

I got mine from Northcliff Cycles but Westdene also stocks it.

Do you guys think motorex works better on a mtb chain than squirt? Im a squirt fan because it works wonders on the mtb. For the rd bike i reckon any lube will work. I prefer to stear clear from a wet lube

i'll wait for a rider/hubber review - a mag review/advert is always fairly good.

Have you visited mtbr.com yet? Read rider reviews. It is the highest ranked Lube with more than 20 reviews from 102 lubes. Chain-L is also the only lube that has received an award from MTBR for two years in a row.

My link

Also google Chain-L reviews if you need more persuation.

Do you guys think motorex works better on a mtb chain than squirt? Im a squirt fan because it works wonders on the mtb. For the rd bike i reckon any lube will work. I prefer to stear clear from a wet lube

See, lube is just as personal as a saddle. I don't like Squirt on the MTB, not even in dry conditions. I do like it on the road bike and do not like Motorex on the road bike, it makes it too dirty.

If it is a sticky lube that you put on the chain it sure pics up dirt even though the chain is lubed, so you get all the dirt/grime....which means the wear of chain rings, RD wheels wear out faster?

See, lube is just as personal as a saddle. I don't like Squirt on the MTB, not even in dry conditions. I do like it on the road bike and do not like Motorex on the road bike, it makes it too dirty.

I still have a new bottle of finish line wet lube. Used it once 3 years ago and it was a complete mess

I still have a new bottle of finish line wet lube. Used it once 3 years ago and it was a complete mess

Same here with Pedros. Use it take squeaks out of hinges.

I used Chain L for a while, not a bad lube, but too sticky in my opinion, and also too messy. Once you lube and wipe, everything is covered in oil for a few rides, so prepare yourself for a rim and rear tyre clean after every ride. This is just my opinion, but what made me change was the motor oil smell and the bland branding, as if the label was made on a Xerox copier. Maybe I am just sceptical, so not really my intention to give this product a bad review. I would however like to conclude with one word....Motorex!

Sounds like Wet Lube in general

I also had problems till I learn't how to use Wet Lube. Wet lube requires a clean chain firstly, then you need to apply one drop on each roller followed up with a wipe to make sure you have no oil in the outside plates.

You need to clean your chain regularly - a chain scrubbier is a must.

Since then I've no longer had any issues and will only switch to dry lube in about 3yrs time once my Finish Line has been used up.

• 4 weeks later...

I used Chain L for a while, not a bad lube, but too sticky in my opinion, and also too messy. Once you lube and wipe, everything is covered in oil for a few rides, so prepare yourself for a rim and rear tyre clean after every ride. This is just my opinion, but what made me change was the motor oil smell and the bland branding, as if the label was made on a Xerox copier. Maybe I am just sceptical, so not really my intention to give this product a bad review. I would however like to conclude with one word....Motorex!

There is no doubt that this can happen if to much lube is applied. If done properly it will not happen and the chain will run clean enough for most people (apart from the ultra clean brigade that gives up performance for cleanliness).

There is no doubt that this can happen if to much lube is applied. If done properly it will not happen and the chain will run clean enough for most people (apart from the ultra clean brigade that gives up performance for cleanliness).

Is this the same stuff Johan Bornman says turns into TAR?

Johan Bornman has to my knowledge not tried Chain-L., but being Johan Bornman, he probably does not have to try it-he knows!

:D :D :D

Edited by Chain-L

I use wet lube - White Lightening , no mess.

Clean chain first ; then back pedal slowly - one drop on each link (not a precision job , you just time the chain speed to bottle squeeze pressure for the required light doseage!) And then I'm off , no mess no fuss. Awesome smooth shifts and min chain noise

Only get a mess when I squeeze bottle to hard and over-apply , but I'm not terribly retarded so consequently that doesn't happen often - ie virtually never. Too much = stop and wipe with rag while back pedalling.

White Lightening wet lube is A+++ , might not last as long as Chain-L but I reckon a good chain clean every few weeks is required bike maintenance for any decent bike loving human!

:)

I also liked it and also think it is too thick. Lasts quite a while but I had to warm it up to get it to flow out of the bottle properly. Still have about 3/4 of a bottle of anybody want to try it. R50 is a bargain. Like André Traut, I'm also on Motorex for the MTB.

Does your offer still stand for the 3/4 bottle. I'd like to give it a try, after reading Grant Usher's notes.

Question however - i use a chain scrubber (I wash my bike after every ride). Will washing the bike affect the lube?

Does your offer still stand for the 3/4 bottle. I'd like to give it a try, after reading Grant Usher's notes.

Question however - i use a chain scrubber (I wash my bike after every ride). Will washing the bike affect the lube?

It will be ok if you wash the bike with soap and water. a degreaser will obviously get rid of some of the lube too. I hoe my bike after a muddy ride, but a complete wash after every ride is a bit to time consuming for me.