2011 GT AVALANCHE 1.0

Mark Rudling

Hi Guys

Im looking at buying a semi decent MTB for weekend trail rides. I will not be doing anything serious, but would like to get something decent.

I have been looking around and for R6500 there are quite a few bikes around. One that caught my eye today was the 2011 GT AVALANCHE 1.0. From what I can tell, it is the best spec'd in its class.

FORK Rockshox Tora 302

CRANKSET Shimano Fc-M442, 44/32/22T

BB Shimano Bb-Es25

PEDALS Gt Slim Line Flat Pedal, Cast Alloy

FRT DER Shimano Deore, Fd-M590

RR DER Shimano XT

SHIFTERS Shimano Deore, Sl-M590, Rapid Fire

REAR COGS Shimano Cs-Hg30-9, 9 Speed, 11-34T

RIMS Alex Td24, 32H

Tires Maxxis Mobster

SPOKES 14G Stainless

FRONT BRAKE Shimano Br-M445, W/ 180Mm Rotor

REAR BRAKE Shimano Br-M445, W/ 160Mm Rotor

SADDLE Wtb Pure-V Sport

I think thats the important ones.

So can anyone recomend anything else for that price, and if not, who in Durban can beat/match the price.

Thanks

Mark

Mark very nice bike ,but a bit on the heavy side and their is and GT 29er in the same class price cannot remember the model but I will look and report back!also their are alot of 26inch bikes in the market as most people are going 29!

Mark very nice bike ,but a bit on the heavy side and their is and GT 29er in the same class price cannot remember the model but I will look and report back!also their are alot of 26inch bikes in the market as most people are going 29!

29 isn't necessarily better, its just different. if mark will only be doing weekend trail rides and not marathons then a 26er is his best option.

Hi Mark

Had one. Great bike - bombproof but as Insuc said, bit of a clunker but it will certainly do the job.

Have a look at Urban Cycles, Umgeni road. They had some decent softails at this sort of price 'cos many guys are doing the 29er.

Thanks guys

Urban Cycles dont have anything decent second hand at the moment.

The GT is on special, should I rush and get it or for that price will I get something better if I wait?

Regards

Mark

Thanks, im going to try see that one today.

Guys, Im getting pressed to make a choice here, I have been told that stock is limited on the special and if I dont act now, the price will go up.

So my question is, should I rush and buy this one or hang ten and try find something else? IE, is this the deal of the year?

Regards

Mark

I bought my 2009 model GT Av1 in 2010 (around Feb of 2010) for R6500 in Rustenburg, I think they are normally around R7500-8000. So maybe go for it! I don't think you will regret it, I have done well over 8000km on my bike and will keep it, even when I get a new bike hopefully in the new year.

Guys, Im getting pressed to make a choice here, I have been told that stock is limited on the special and if I dont act now, the price will go up.

So my question is, should I rush and buy this one or hang ten and try find something else? IE, is this the deal of the year?

Regards

Mark

Take your time, dont be rushed into buying anything cause the sales people say so and will spin you a yarn. You are spending a lot of money and it MUST be right for you.

Take your time, dont be rushed into buying anything cause the sales people say so and will spin you a yarn. You are spending a lot of money and it MUST be right for you.

Sound advice this!

They've seen you coming from a mile-off. There will be more, and better deals if you are patient.

Good luck! :thumbup:

check www.obike.co.za

They are the official importers for GT, they have some massive bargains on their bikes. You choose the one you want and they will send it to your bike shop in Durban

I had a GT Avalanche 1.0 2009. Great bike for its price. If you weigh less than 75kgs maybe go for something lighter but more fragile.

Regards

Mark

1. It is a great bike and perfect for your intended use. I have one too. Good price, must say.

2. Do not rush your decision.......EDIT: I dont think i expressed this clearly enough.... DO NOT rush your decision. Take time, compare, decide.

3. Stocks are limited and the price is good 'coz everyone is getting rid of their 2011 stock (at great prices) to make space for the new stock. Hence the comp will be too. Take some more off the price in 5months.

4. Everyone, sooner or later, has an affair with a GT in the mountains!

Good luck!

Edited by messenger

There is a new bike shop opening this weekend in Westville, at the Westville Mall, I know they are doing some fantastic opening deals, so rather wait - Im meeting the owners tomorrow so can see what deals they are doing, otherwise get yourself down there.

Edited by Caerus