All-mountain Biking Basics

Capricorn

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of good tips in that video, I have definatly learnt alot but know I have go and try it all out and see if it works for me.

Thanks Capricorn for this great video.

So I have my brand new all mountain bike. It remains unridden in two weeks. I suppose the first basic is to actually get on the thing.

barel is a technical monster, but he has a cool easy way of presenting the necessary info. The man is the consumate professional.

What i liked about the vid is it wasn't big jumps like the Dh guys do.

1 Question going around corners like he does sometimes flicking the back wheel , doesn't it ruin the berm?

I LOVE ALL-MOUNTAIN..

I rode in Barcelona with the Mondraker designer and some of the guys Marc Coma (Dakar fame) trains with.... what must've been the Dune and Foxy (dubbed 6" and 7") were still in development- but I am firmly sold on that brand! They left me quite dizzy, they were bouncing off everything, riding up anything, sometimes sideways! I rate that as a highlight of this life.

What is really cool about AM is you are not limited when trying out stuff.. great for exploring.

Shot Cap for the vid! :clap:

oh, we descended into Barca city center, covered in mud. The Gucci, Prada, Armani clad Catalonians seem accustomed to mud dressed riders sharing the sidewalk. Just another look I would think! :thumbup:

Edited by Pain or Shine

barcelona: what a city. what a vibe, best damn place to have a massive jol in europe. Pity I wasnt into riding bicycles much less AM back then.. you making itch to go back PorS

barcelona: what a city. what a vibe, best damn place to have a massive jol in europe. Pity I wasnt into riding bicycles much less AM back then.. you making itch to go back PorS

Ah, ..and the women! Remember the women!? Caught my wife staring! :o

Ah, ..and the women! Remember the women!? Caught my wife staring! :o

funnily enough, not that gorgeous on looks alone, but boy, dp they exude this aura of hotdamnness.. ;)

for all your gawking, did your wife melt your plastic in Las Ramblas and the Gothic quarter?

Edited by Capricorn

must've been a different season, or that's what does it for my wife?? .. but think Salma Hayek, that was the season while I was there!!

.. Barcelona hills have a similar environment as in the vid - in terms of terrain.

.. but think Salma & Hayek, !

Fixed.. :P

but yeah, they are fuller figured. eat pretty healthily the spaniards.

Edited by Capricorn

Such a cool video, Barel is a legend. It's very easy to get some of the basics he describes wrong simply by not concentrating on them....

I reckon even riders who think they're hot stuff can learn from this. The whole "leaning your bike into the corner while staying upright" thing got me thinking twice about how I actually do it out on the trail, good stuff!

Such a cool video, Barel is a legend. It's very easy to get some of the basics he describes wrong simply by not concentrating on them....

I reckon even riders who think they're hot stuff can learn from this. The whole "leaning your bike into the corner while staying upright" thing got me thinking twice about how I actually do it out on the trail, good stuff!

I followed a bunch of my XC buddies down Majik once, and it was horribly slow going. Took em back up, and then showed them the leaning the bike over story. One 'got it' from the get-go, and our little train was soo much faster. Majik is a great place to practice cornering: loads of flat corners with a decent downslope. It's where i finally 'got it' as well. Feels counter intuitive and downright silly, but my word, once you get it, you literally rail those corners.

MH: the thing is, a lot of riders actually under utilize the side knobs, and they are there for that very thing: having the bike leaned over.

tell me about it, Cap. I'm constantly learning new things out on the trail. Trying to get the feel of a countersteer on the uphills before trying it on the downs, seeing just HOW effective it is as a cornering tool. Trying to get even farther and lower over teh saddle, to rail those corners as hard as I can. Forcing myself to look 3, 4, 5 metres in front of me so that I don't concentrate on that log and bottle it. Knowing that I WILL hit that jump and land it. It's all what we just KNEW was right as lighties, but forgot over the years.

I'm nowhere near where I was as a lightie. But I'm getting closer...

I followed a bunch of my XC buddies down Majik once, and it was horribly slow going. Took em back up, and then showed them the leaning the bike over story. One 'got it' from the get-go, and our little train was soo much faster. Majik is a great place to practice cornering: loads of flat corners with a decent downslope. It's where i finally 'got it' as well. Feels counter intuitive and downright silly, but my word, once you get it, you literally rail those corners.

MH: the thing is, a lot of riders actually under utilize the side knobs, and they are there for that very thing: having the bike leaned over.

Absolutely, but I think the bit that made me think "wait, do I actually do that?" is the body staying upright part. For the life of me, I can't figure out whether I lean my body more than I should, or not. Yes, my side knobs get used, but it was quite interesting to see him literally push his knee against the downtube to stabilise himself upright.