Interval Training/Hill training

surely one wouldn't just jump straight into 3 min interval training. should one not start off doing 1 min intervals and then build up to 3 minutes ? just asking?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce and Naas' date=' thanks. This hill climbing training stuff is science on it own.

Remember naas, my main goal is to be a strong climber in next years Epic. Its going to 1 to 2 hour uphill grinding.

I will benefit in the Argus on the short hills, but I'm more converned about that 3000m climb on day 1 in the epic and 5 more days there after of 2500m+ climbing.

Thats why I'm sitting with this question on whats best, to climb the whole thing at a high heartrate, or break it down in just the "3min hard", "1 min slower" thingy.

I read in some articles that it should be 1:1, but if you look at the terrain and on the mtb, I think you will most probably climb hard, then a bit slower than hard, but not "racing climbing", just endurance climbing (if that make sense)

but, thanks I got a idee on what to do and will def. do both on thuesdays, wednesdays and Thursdays.

The nice thing about it is that We do have enough 5 min climbs close to do after work.

Like going over tiekiedraai, right at poplars up that gravel road to to magic forest, and then that climb in Kenridge gerage towards Durbanville.

So, I will do the diff types of climbing on those hills,like tiekiedraai my long hard climb, and the other the 3:1 concept

thanks again you 2.

Aghhh, bikemax is not a bad outjie, we love him smiley2.gif [/quote']

Stick to the longer sustained efforts - no need to break them up with rest periods.

Get used to climbing at a hard but sustainable pace - 3 x 15 or 2 x 20 or 3 x 20 when you are feeling great..

Naas V - always has a pop in Afrikaans, gives him a sense of superiority Wink

another question: How long does it takes to climb Du Toits Kloof pass?

Is it more climbing meters than (say) Franschoek pass?.

Another good option is obviously to go down the other side and turn around and immeadiatly climb the back.

Stick to the longer sustained efforts - no need to break them up with rest periods.

Get used to climbing at a hard but sustainable pace - 3 x 15 or 2 x 20 or 3 x 20 when you are feeling great..

Naas V - always has a pop in Afrikaans' date=' gives him a sense of superiority Wink

[/quote']

Mr Livingstone, why do you have sets of 3 x 15 or 2 x 20 or 3 x 20 if there's "no need to break them up with rest periods" Confused ...verstaan nie so lekke nieSmile

I think he means that if you dont feel that strong do the 3 x 15min thing, and when you feel good do the 3 x 20 min thing.

Also depends on how strong you are already.

my guess?

Naas V - always has a pop in Afrikaans' date=' gives him a sense of superiority Wink

[/quote']

Mr Livingstone, why do you have sets of 3 x 15 or 2 x 20 or 3 x 20 if there's "no need to break them up with rest periods" Confused ...verstaan nie so lekke nieSmile

I knew the English might be a problem for you...

"longer sustained efforts" - 15 mins ++ is a "longer sustained effort" and this is what I was referring to, as opposed to 3 min which is NOT a "longer sustained effort"

Verstaan ? Wink

Ma moet nooit 'n hele bult 90-95% uitry nie - jy donner net jou reserves op...vir wat?

Bikemax - translated this is: but don't do (all of) the hill @ 90 - 95% - you just mess up (a bit stronger choice of words here, implying 'waste your reserves') -- what for?

Thought you might want to comment on that statement?

[/quote']

If you read what I posted earlier!

Because they target a different energy system!

Ma moet nooit 'n hele bult 90-95% uitry nie - jy donner net jou reserves op...vir wat?

Bikemax - translated this is: but don't do (all of) the hill @ 90 - 95% - you just mess up (a bit stronger choice of words here' date=' implying 'waste your reserves') -- what for?

[/quote']

Sure - I would ask why riding at a pace a rider can sustain for the duration of the climb and is targeting the correct energy system would be a "waste" of reserves ?

Training is all about using your available time and energy to achieve the best returns in fitness terms, and a longer sustained effort (that is 15 mins+) is a great way to improve threshold power and in turn your climbing ability.

The only reason you might want to break up a climb into smaller (presumably harder) sections is to target other energy systems - which are not really the focus for Pops and his Epic training Wink

Bikemax - translated this is: but don't do (all of) the hill @ 90 - 95% - you just mess up (a bit stronger choice of words here' date=' implying 'waste your reserves') -- what for?

[/quote']

Sure - I would ask why riding at a pace a rider can sustain for the duration of the climb and is targeting the correct energy system would be a "waste" of reserves ?

Training is all about using your available time and energy to achieve the best returns in fitness terms, and a longer sustained effort (that is 15 mins+) is a great way to improve threshold power and in turn your climbing ability.

The only reason you might want to break up a climb into smaller (presumably harder) sections is to target other energy systems - which are not really the focus for Pops and his Epic training Wink

Added to that, "using up your reserves" is the way your body learns to get bigger reserves.

"Added to that, "using up your reserves" is the way your body learns to get bigger reserves."

Bullsh*t! , Bruce. Do you also cycle?LOL I thought reserves are being built up by carefully progressing through the phase of basemiles, so. in essence I have trained completely wrong the last 4 years, what a waste!

Ronelle, I'm more of the kind pratising what I preach, whilst Bikemax seems to study too much and train two less??...****, I are struggeling lots with english tale, sorryWink

Too much work makes Jack a dull boy..

"Added to that' date=' "using up your reserves" is the way your body learns to get bigger reserves."

Bullsh*t! , Bruce. Do you also cycle?LOL I thought reserves are being built up by carefully progressing through the phase of basemiles, so. in essence I have trained completely wrong the last 4 years, what a waste!

Ronelle, I'm more of the kind pratising what I preach, whilst Bikemax seems to study too much and train two less??...****, I are struggeling lots with english tale, sorryWink

[/quote']

Nothing quite like the "Old school" approach Wink

You just keep on keeping on with those "base" miles Naas while Bruce gets the results Big%20smile

And as for "practice what I preach" - like you did with the WL rule you preach so vehemently LOL

Seriously though, instead of positioning yourself as  the "man who knows" maybe you

should try climbing down from your high horse and listening every once

in a while.. you might be able to improve your cycling, which I know you want to do.

"Added to that' date=' "using up your reserves" is the way your body learns to get bigger reserves."

[/quote']

No Naas, I don't cycle, I hack around in the shallow end of the sport of cycling!

English/Afrikaans, makes no difference when it comes to the principles of adult debate.