Interval Training/Hill training

Naas - do you understand 'reserves' to mean the same thing as what bruce/Bikemax intend when they use the word? Sounds to me as though there might be some confusion here?

But yes - it would be interesting to see what it does to your next 4 years if you practise what they preach. (and practice) 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pops - you don't have to train on hills to be good at riding hills - LT intervals on a flat piece of road can do the trick as well, so you don't need to scour the Cape to find that elusive 30 minute hill climb...

Touchy, touchy, hey Peter, and getting personal as well - I like the fighting approach seeing that bikes is not really your preferred weapon of choice!

OK, so my apology for getting results with my old school approachWink and being on the podium, sorry, high horse as you quite Whrightly pointed out.

But, I am willing to learn and while you mention about my intentions to improve "as you know", I have to admit  that I don't have the facilities nor the room for improvement as you do - seems I'm buggeredCry

Naas you know how to be a poepol. You changed coaches every season the last 4 years, you train more "scientifically" than anyone on the Cape vets bunch. But you blow up every season after 3 months, or something happens. You can be one of the top riders in the country in your age group if you enjoy your riding a bit more.

Bikemax, whats wrong with base? Or why did you make a comment about base and old school? Isnt that what the pro's are all doing over December and Jan?

Popeye, wil jy nou bulte oefen na daai laaste 3 voor Swellendam?

Naas you know how to be a poepol. You changed coaches every season the last 4 years' date=' you train more "scientifically" than anyone on the Cape vets bunch. But you blow up every season after 3 months, or something happens. You can be one of the top riders in the country in your age group if you enjoy your riding a bit more.

Bikemax, whats wrong with base? Or why did you make a comment about base and old school? Isnt that what the pro's are all doing over December and Jan?

[/quote']

Call off the search guys, I've got a NEW coach, Groot Bek Lem,...nou gaan die manne eers k********k oppie bulte, of hoe se jy Hendrik.

Wa moet ek aanmeld? By the way, wie's al daai coaches, sal hulle graag wil ontmoet.

Aag donner, Ronelle, vertaal tog asb vi soutie.

Naas asks me to tell you that he cannot wait to start training with you because he knows that way he will be able to rub salt into the wounds of his opposition.

Naas you know how to be a poepol. You changed coaches every season the last 4 years' date=' you train more "scientifically" than anyone on the Cape vets bunch. But you blow up every season after 3 months, or something happens. You can be one of the top riders in the country in your age group if you enjoy your riding a bit more.

[/quote']

Traditional or "old school" base training consisted of a lot of slow miles in order to build endurance.

The more modern approach is not "so" different but tends to include more tempo paced riding in order to build both endurance and aerobic fitness over the off season.

Pro riders do tend to do more longer and slower training becuase they have much more time to train and to recover - but they also do plenty of tempo and high intensity work on top of this, so the low intensity stuff really serves as recovery riding and keeps the legs turning.

Given that most "recreational" riders (Naas aside of course) have limited time to train and recover,  they need to get the best return on their training time. This means using the off season to build the fitness that will sustain them through a race season - where fitness typically drops off as you either rest before or recover after a race.

Have a look at this article on Sweet Spot Training if you are interested - it is very good.

http://www.fascatcoaching.com/sweetspot.html

Naas asks me to tell you that he cannot wait to start training with you because he knows that way he will be able to rub salt into the wounds of his opposition.

Thanks Ronelle - please tell Naas he is a very funny chap and I cannot wait to start working with him (He might need to start saving)