Disc Brakes

Pilchard

Hi,

I am looking for some advice my mountain bike has V-brakes on it. I find that stopping on fast downhills can be a real problem for me, i am definatley not a light weight.

Would disc brakes be more effective?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only stop if you've got grip. If you are locking your brakes and you are still not stopping, then nothing will help.

Would disc brakes be more effective?

Does a bear sh*t in the woods....?

Does a shark piss in the water....?

You catch my drift....?

Big%20smile

I see you lot are quite fiesty. The wheel is not locking up, i have tried adjusting my brakes but am still not happy.

I see you lot are quite fiesty. The wheel is not locking up' date=' i have tried adjusting my brakes but am still not happy.

[/quote']

In that case yes. Get Avid Juicy 5s and don't listen to anybody else.

I reckon braking technique is more important than getting expense new brakes. Either your tires suck, your brake pads are worn, or you are not using the front and back brakes together properly. If you have strong forearms for grip there is nothing wrong with v-brakes. So much cheaper to maintain and fix. That said I have discs and absolutely love them!

I see you lot are quite fiesty. The wheel is not locking up' date=' i have tried adjusting my brakes but am still not happy.

[/quote']

In that case yes. Get Avid Juicy 5s and don't listen to anybody else.

Don't listen to Mampara....he's afrikaans and rides a Rally

Get the Magura Louise brakes!

I reckon braking technique is more important than getting expense new brakes. Either your tires suck' date=' your brake pads are worn, or you are not using the front and back brakes together properly. If you have strong forearms for grip there is nothing wrong with v-brakes. So much cheaper to maintain and fix. That said I have discs and absolutely love them![/quote']

That's ***. I reckon that if you weigh over +-100kg they are a must. I weigh over that and the v brakes that i have are just not effective, and i have enough power to pull the things hard enough but it just makes no difference. Front is ok but the back one is pretty useless.

Yes using them together helps but it's not good enough for a big down hill.

I will definitely be buying Discs,  What can i expect to pay? I have a trek 4500.

I reckon braking technique is more important than getting expense new brakes. Either your tires suck' date=' your brake pads are worn, or you are not using the front and back brakes together properly. If you have strong forearms for grip there is nothing wrong with v-brakes. So much cheaper to maintain and fix. That said I have discs and absolutely love them![/quote']

That's ***. I reckon that if you weigh over +-100kg they are a must. I weigh over that and the v brakes that i have are just not effective, and i have enough power to pull the things hard enough but it just makes no difference. Front is ok but the back one is pretty useless.

Yes using them together helps but it's not good enough for a big down hill.

I will definitely be buying Discs,  What can i expect to pay? I have a trek 4500.

Get yourself some decent v's bud. I know a guy that weighs 120kg's, he uses avid Sl v's and never has any issues stopping. 2 years on he is still using the original pads.

Knievel, maybe your riding skills are ***, are you say.

Or just maybe the back brake isnt set up properly, try tightening it up. My point is that top riders were doing some demanding downhill riding without disc brakes until relatively recently, and they managed to get enough braking. Sure discs are better, but they are not essential.

What does that entail? Changing the whole set up or just the pads? I have tektro V break system on my bike. Can i not just get better pad's or something?