Cradle Quest 2011

zaShadow

Well done Swift! That's an awesome time!

I think I would've died if I had to do that race on a hardtail...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done gordie, where would that place you? Does anyone know if the results are out?

Oh and who is the chommie youw waited for...Brett?

Waited for Marius Venter. Kerry overtook him at 13km, so she gathered he was going to have a long day. Bret HUH, he sent a message in the morning saying he had over slept. Besides he was going to do the 45km

I think people will have to phone Eric to find out where the results will be as they did their own timing in the end.

I did hear a rumour that quite a few people pulled out the 70km.

Have to say a race like that with that many rocks etc, it became very clear how new bikes and their technology has advanced the skills on the downhills. Amazing how much control they can get out those bikes, while I bounced/rattled my way down. But hey just makes that beer at the end taste better :clap:

The 96 is calling me but my other bike would have been much better.

The training bike has many issues. Bald tire at the front, front shock goes from 7bar to 5 bar over the first 30km so the front end starts to sag, no granny gear, V-Brakes (oh man my hands were hurting on that big down hill from pulling so hard). Back tire also claimed a puncture bit like it's owner after the last hill. :lol:

Considering putting 48/38/26 for the front chain rings and a roadie 11-27 at the back instead of the current 44/34 front and 11-32 at the back. Same hard stuff up the hills as the current but bigger top end, just for fun. After all it is a training bike that somehow has now done 2 races in the last 2 months.....

V-Brakes on that descent :o well done, must have squealed though.

I was thinking of bringing my longer travel Prophet just for the downhills, not that it would have improved my times, but made them more fun, esp. the collapsable seat post, but the Scalpel is lighter and there was a lot of district roads.

Can I ask you other peeps who perhaps rode that short, very loose rocky descent just after the crest, where we turned 180, before the ride to big descent? Typical of 4x4 track but I don't have the right technique for being able to handle it, how did you handle it, if you indeed 'did' it?

I rode it. For me the key is to keep my wheels rolling. As soon as you lock up you have no control. The bigger wheels also makes a difference.

Rode everything except when i walked going up that last hill. Yeah my GF also on a hard tail said she put a foot down once on that section when someone else got it quite wrong in front of her, otherwise she said it was ok. But very rocky especially since you have just finished a climb.

Guess you have to go in with total commitment and not touch the brakes, possibly the rear though only. You also need speed to carry you over those loose rocks. Last year on the Nissan I also came off on a similar section. Note to self: Practice needed!

The climbing for the first 27km was insane, every time I thought we had reached the top another hill came. :unsure:

Had to stop to help my mate on that rocky downhill just after the summit, got two impact punctures that we couldn't fix so he had to walk down the mountain <_<

All in all tough race!

Here's the route/profile I tracked for the 45km:

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/SeanRademeyer/55v6alv0vg7opfi3

Man, what an awesome route! Was tough as nails with +-750m ascent and technical downhills! At one stage I thought my brakes were going to spontaneously combust The views from the top of the two mountains were spectacular and the single track awesome! Can definitely recommend this race!

It was also a relatively small event (probably because of the RWC) with I'd guess 200 people? I liked it though.

Does anyone know where we can get the results?

:thumbup:

Please repost in a different format, I cannot open the file extension. I would like to see the route that almost broke me!

JV the 45 km climb was exactly the same until the bottom of that steep descent so take a look at the profile I posted.

Great, thanks. I was dissillutioned on Saterday, so no registration was possible on what I was doing.

I am brand new to MTB, have done a couple of Nissans, so this was a real test. But I liked, and will be prepared next time :thumbup:

I did not have any trouble with the technical stuff, thanks to years of off-road motorbike, but I need to work on the fitness. I am also going to trade my clipps for once that clip easier when in trouble uphill! Any suggestions? I am thinking eggbeaters?

Well, the Downhill World Champ is an Ex-Moto X dood so you are in good company. I did my fair bit of off-road Enduro riding back in my wasted youth, but I love the freedom, quietness and simplicity of MTB. And the rush when you release the brakes on a lekka downhill!

You have Shimano SPD's? there is an adjustment screw in the pedal to change the clip in tension. No need to throw money at the problem.

After a weeks worth of training this was a bit of a suffer fest. Just no power in the legs, should have learn't from the last race I did out there and do a bit of a taper.

Was very happy to finish though and it was an awesome day out ! Those climbs with the kopie rocks were made but had a blast hoofing it down the steep decent. Hands were a bit buggered so just did a Minnaar and just gave it - good fun