Fastest speed downhill on a MTB

tunariaan

I'm with him dude. At the 2009 Urban Assault Gee Atherton (2009 Downhill World Champion) clocked 65kmh on steep jeep track. I watched him and he was cranking all the way down the hill.

P.S. The FASTEST speed measured at the PMB downhill world cup in April was 78. Greg Minnaar clocked 68 through the trap. So all of you are faster than the fastest professional downhillers on the planet?

+1... if the 2 Aussie Yeti riders only (and I saw 'only', meaning it's freaking fast) clocked 78kph on a world cup DH course (not some stage race). Former world champions clocking in the higher 60's. The winner of the race (Gwinn) clocking 65 if memory serves me correct...

and how come there are a lot of 89kph... on the dot? hmmm...

:lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. The FASTEST speed measured at the PMB downhill world cup in April was 78. Greg Minnaar clocked 68 through the trap. So all of you are faster than the fastest professional downhillers on the planet?

classic

I'm with him dude. At the 2009 Urban Assault Gee Atherton (2009 Downhill World Champion) clocked 65kmh on steep jeep track. I watched him and he was cranking all the way down the hill.

Ok, die spoed was op my serfas level 1. Dalk nie so akuraat nie, maar dit was 89.3km/h. Die afdrand was omtrend 2km lank en reguit. Dit volg met n redelike lang opdrand. Ek hoef dus geensins te rem nie. Dit was n tweespoor jeep track, maar die grond was hard en redelik gelyk. Die wind was ook van agter. Daar is nie n boom of klip vir 100m weerskant die pad nie. Ons ry dit gereeld om te kyk watse spoed ons kan bereik en ken elke bump in die pad. Dit is nie n track waar Greg en Gee hulle skills sal kom toets nie, maar n lekker pad vir n hoespoed toets. My mikpunt is 100km/h en sodra ek dit kry sal ek n foto neem en post. (die wind sal moet stormsterk wees vir dit.) ;)

6km of steep, relatively good surface, steep downhill dirt road is a bit different from a technical World Cup DH course or a rutted Jeep track.

I know on the section I mentioned, my old man had 92, his partner 87, my partner 84. That particular section is super steep, the chopper flies below you for sometime. The corner at the bottom is not too tough, road surface is generally smooth, with no rocks or loose screed.

Has anyone cracked 120 on a tandem?

And the speedtrap at Sabie Experience regularly clocks high-70's (highest I recall for a piece on the short, straight, steep cement strip road was 78km/h) for the winner of the top-end prize. So perhaps consider all the variables before getting all judgmental.

6km of steep, relatively good surface, steep downhill dirt road is a bit different from a technical World Cup DH course or a rutted Jeep track.

If the question was; Fastest speed on a downhill course, then I take back my 89.

Edited by Breezer

Guest Omega Man

yip, spot on Breezer.

M. I guess so.

(I bet none of you have seen someone admit an error on one of these threads before. hahaha)

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Ok that's IT! I'm off to ride my bike instead of this damn keyboard.

In the interest of science i shall put a computer on my bike and see how fast i can go . Now to find a super steep hill with jeep track . Or even better, super smooth single track.

48 is still fast. If you dont think so then try jumping off at that speed. If you get hit by a car doing 48 kmh you WILL die . It only seems slow in a car. . .

ran montagu pass tonight, 10.9km op kliming 500m , took me 1hour and 15 sec, got on my bike and came down took me 20min, fastest speed 59km per hour, one thing is for sure my bike is not too stable at jumoing speed bump on the way down and i need way better disck brakes, was lekker though

now im gonna braai some fish and have lekker red wine

I know the East Rand is flat but If my Garmin reading on Sportstrack is to believed i clocked 800km in 14.26 min with an ave of 3,328 km/h and zero ascent/descent on my MTB :unsure:

Sunday Morning Home KP return 66.65 3:12:24 20.8 173.1 -186.5

Monday Afternoon Home KP return 800.63 0:14:26 3,328.2 0.0 0.0

43kms downhill on tar and prayed nothing jumped in front of me cos i wudnt have been able to stop in a hurry !! :blink: