Bicycle Lessons for Adults

smurf_ryder

Hi All....

Is there a place where one can go and take riding lessons? The last time a friend rode a bicycle was when she was 10 years old, and the riding didnt end very well apparently....she became one with the pavement!

So....many more years or rather 2 decades later, she's built up her courage and wants to be part of our riding group but still has the "Fear of Falling" off a bike.....

so i thought anyone might advise as to where she can get help....we tried the "e-how" tips of teaching her to ride a bicyle but honestly i think a Pro would do a way better job.

any help will be appreciated.....

....ride on ryderz!

Cycling = falling from time to time. Nothing you can do about it.

Pad her up as best you can, put her on the bike, and tell her to stop behaving like a baby.

We've all fallen off bicycles and/or motorbikes tens if not hundreds of times, most of us have lived to tell the tale (and become better riders)

Yup, there are only two types of cyclists:

Those that have fallen and those that are going to fall!

i know there are a number of places that run MTB "skills clinics", and some of them are specially aimed at girls teaching them how to deal with riding over roots, and negotiating to "hop onto" sidewalks etc. I think Mikes Bikes used to run some of these, so contact them for more info.

But it does sound like she needs a "how to ride" course rather than attend a skills clinic, so best is to buy her some training wheels for womans day :)

look at www.runlikeagirl.co.za

beginner through advanced courses offered.

Edited by RocknRolla

No one can teach you how to ride a bicycle. It is something you need to do on your own.The secret in teaching someone is to be patient. :thumbup:

If she is your girlfriend, do like this:

Look deep into her eyes and explain to her that she will fall several times but that it will hurt you more than her. Then get her to straddle the bike, sit, while you firmly hold the bike. Now move your grip to her hips and gently push her around, encouraging her all the time. Get het to make a few turns, stop. Start again etc. All the time gently hold her hips.

If it is your sister, find a downhill and launch her. She'll cope.

If she is your girlfriend, do like this:

Look deep into her eyes and explain to her that she will fall several times but that it will hurt you more than her. Then get her to straddle the bike, sit, while you firmly hold the bike. Now move your grip to her hips and gently push her around, encouraging her all the time. Get het to make a few turns, stop. Start again etc. All the time gently hold her hips.

If it is your sister, find a downhill and launch her. She'll cope.

:clap:

Nee rerig! Dude, you get to show off here - this is MAJOR browny point territory! Take your time, teach her yourself and show her your sensitive side!!!

My wife knew how to cycle but she has NEVER done races before. I bought her a mtb in October 2008. She did her first race in December 2008 all on her own...Then she fell and broke her elbow in 2009. This year she has even won some races!

She still loves me!!! And we are still married! :clap:

Take to a large flat open grass field, rugby fields are best. I did this with my wife when she was learning to ride with cleats, defiantly helped with her confidence knowing she was falling onto soft grass rather then tarmac or a bit of hard jeep track.

Yup, there are only two types of cyclists:

Those that have fallen and those that are going to fall!

Never look behind you in a bunch.

• 3 weeks later...

thnx for the feedback....guess she's on her own here!

i think i failed to mention that "SHE'S" my boss n da thought of having to see her fall a couple of times will be awesum(hehehe)....i've told her the options and we'll see where this leads us to....hmmm!

thnx again!

i think i failed to mention that "SHE'S" my boss n da thought of having to see her fall a couple of times will be awesum(hehehe)....i've told her the options and we'll see where this leads us to....hmmm!

thnx again!

thnx again!