Carte Blanche expose

Cippo

I'd be keen to donate money. Just went to the link. There are a few things that need to answered though, as right now, it's looking like a bit of a free marketing shill as well.

Now I'm more than fine to donate money to this fine cause, but I'd need the following:

1] the objectives of this fund, clearly outlined.

2] A viewable audit, showing what will be spent and where.

3] The credentials of the PI involved.

4] I'd like an opt-out for any marketing/spam due to giving away my personal details.

Sheesh, I know I've had my run ins with grb, but I agree 100% with him here.

:thumbup:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you this - is your response the same for entering races online?

My response, especially with regards to my personal information security, is the same whenever I am requested to supply it. Online races, online banking, signing up for a newsletter at slashdot. It's all the same, and your identity is secure only so long as you make it secure.

And with regards to the accounting of donations, if I donate to the SPCA, I am entitled to see their financials to see what donated money was spent on. Same here? Or not?

Edited by TNT1

Sheesh, I know I've had my run ins with grb, but I agree 100% with him here.

:thumbup:

So if you get your answers, you will donate some cash?

GIVE THESE MEN THEIR ANSWERS ALREADY! :thumbup:

My response, especially with regards to my personal information security, is the same whenever I am requested to supply it. Online races, online banking, signing up for a newsletter at slashdot. It's all the same, and your identity is secure only so long as you make it secure.

And with regards to the accounting of donations, if I donate to the SPCA, I am entitled to see their financials to see what donated money was spent on. Same here? Or not?

Do you donate to the SPCA?

Have you ever made a donation, even if it was just R10, have you asked for the finacials before you made the donation?

If you "donate" money to the car gaurd...ag nevermind.

If you introduce yourself to a stranger, do you give him your real identity? Now how is that for personal security...

Ag TNT. You are a special one. Have a nice day!

AAGGHH don't have a credit card to make a donation, could one of you guys please PM me the banking details if possible.

If possible could my donations be used for the torture-the-bastards or shoot-to-kill bit of the budget?

Thanks

Edited by chickenrun4me

I would like to see more corrective action to cut off the buying market.

Licencing bikes and keeping proper record on a national register will help with this. Make it compulsory to have your bike (with unique serial number) registered and force people to varify ownership on a national register before buying the bike, as well as having to do a FICA type of verification when bikes are sold.

I think there is a more sinister side to the whole story too. A while ago I heard about a syndicate in the States that was paid to hijack a particular high end car brand. They were told to destroy every vehicle hijacked. Why? Because all the owners of these high end vehicles would claim from insurance and simply replace the hijacked or stolen vehicle with another one from the same stable. By having the vehicles destroyed it became very difficult to track it back to the syndicate and ultimately back to the dealership that ordered the hijackings and theft of the vehicles.

The syndicate and dealership got traced due to the high volume of hijackings and thefts in the particular state and this correlated with the unusually high volume of sales from hijackings from the dealership.

The same may be happening in the bike industry. Most of us are insured, I get the impression that the hijackers are targeting specific people or bikes too.

Maybe some of the bigger bike shops needs to be investigated on how many insurance claim replacement bikes they are doing every monht...

Just saying...

I would like to see more corrective action to cut off the buying market.

Licencing bikes and keeping proper record on a national register will help with this. Make it compulsory to have your bike (with unique serial number) registered and force people to varify ownership on a national register before buying the bike, as well as having to do a FICA type of verification when bikes are sold.

I think there is a more sinister side to the whole story too. A while ago I heard about a syndicate in the States that was paid to hijack a particular high end car brand. They were told to destroy every vehicle hijacked. Why? Because all the owners of these high end vehicles would claim from insurance and simply replace the hijacked or stolen vehicle with another one from the same stable. By having the vehicles destroyed it became very difficult to track it back to the syndicate and ultimately back to the dealership that ordered the hijackings and theft of the vehicles.

The syndicate and dealership got traced due to the high volume of hijackings and thefts in the particular state and this correlated with the unusually high volume of sales from hijackings from the dealership.

The same may be happening in the bike industry. Most of us are insured, I get the impression that the hijackers are targeting specific people or bikes too.

Maybe some of the bigger bike shops needs to be investigated on how many insurance claim replacement bikes they are doing every monht...

Just saying...

I think you hit on a very good point here :thumbup:

I'd be keen to donate money. Just went to the link. There are a few things that need to answered though, as right now, it's looking like a bit of a free marketing shill as well.

Now I'm more than fine to donate money to this fine cause, but I'd need the following:

1] the objectives of this fund, clearly outlined.

2] A viewable audit, showing what will be spent and where.

3] The credentials of the PI involved.

4] I'd like an opt-out for any marketing/spam due to giving away my personal details.

Hello grb285,

Thank you for the query.

Please note we, Cycle Events, were approached by the Safe-Cycling Initiative Committee to assist in providing an "easy-entry facility" for people to donate to the fund. Please note, that we are not charging the Safe-Cycling Initiative for our services, and that the system is the same that is used for the Race Entries (so there are some parts to the system that are hard-coded). To answer your questions:

1] the objectives of this fund, clearly outlined.- As mentioned above, we are merely a service provider. You'd need to speak to all the players involved. We are merely offering a facility at no cost to collect funds. We'd suggest you contact them their FaceBook page.

2] A viewable audit, showing what will be spent and where.- You'd need to speak to all the players involved. We'd suggest you contact them directly.

3] The credentials of the PI involved.- Speak to Andy Masters, he appointed the PI.

4] I'd like an opt-out for any marketing/spam due to giving away my personal details. - As mentioned above, the system is our Online Entry system which has been slightly modified to collect funds for a great initiative. Our database is our Asset and as a rule, we have never handed over any personal details to outside company/s or people. We also do not spam - we have listed that clause in our Waiver, to allow us to communicate with our clients regarding races (i.e. send them their Race Numbers and Start Times). But as per your suggestion, because it is related to cycling races, we will address this and possibly change it.

We hope this sheds some light.

Yours in cycling,

Cycle Events

quite a bold statement though.....

For sure, but very plausable at the same time. When I was in the UK, we had the contract to replace all the glass in bus stops with polycarbonate plastic. Th glass only got replaced with polycarb after it had been smashed up three or more times(this used to drive me nuts, cause there was constantly glass on the road from Yobs breaking them up and me being a commuter)

So, after much inverstigation by my boss at the time, we found out that the company that was contracted to replace the glass was paying and sending out these said yobs to smash up bus stops so as to get as much work & business as possible.

They were eventually caught out by the greed, no matter how careful you are, it's what will catch you out eventually.

quite a bold statement though.....

Its only a theory, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Why have a stolen bike traced back to you when you can get the "new" business anyway? Second hand sales are treated with suspicion if the price is low and you don't want any direct link between your shop and the hijackings.

Somewhere in SA there may be a stockpile of high end bikes stuck in a container underground.

Do you donate to the SPCA?

Have you ever made a donation, even if it was just R10, have you asked for the finacials before you made the donation?

If you "donate" money to the car gaurd...ag nevermind.

If you introduce yourself to a stranger, do you give him your real identity? Now how is that for personal security...

Ag TNT. You are a special one. Have a nice day!

MJ, are you being irrational to get a rise out of people?

I donate money to 3 charity organisations yearly. One of them is the SPCA. I also buy all of my pet food and supplies at the SPCA so they can make a profit. I've not asked for financials because they are not doing what they do for business. They do what they do because there is a need for it. Nobody does a thing for animals, certainly not our 'government'.

I've just donated a large sum to another charity. Their financials are available, and it's a cause that I strongly believe in. I have NEVER signed or agreed to any terms or waiver with either of them.

In the Cyclelab case, I'm presented with an open ended 'Terms and Conditions' forms, which I MUST agree to, before I can pledge. Some of these terms I find invasive and uncalled for. Given that our 'police force' should be using my hard earned tax money to make our country safe, I don't see it as poor form to request to see exactly how this money will be spent. If it's for PI costs, what are they. Who is the PI, what is his track record? What areas are being investigated? etc.

Nathrix, I'm sure you can direct the Cycle lab team to this thread so they can address my questions. I'm certain you can understand why I'd rather not send an email from my company.

If there's no issues, then these should be able to be answered quickly.

Snip snip

3] The credentials of the PI involved.- Speak to Andy Masters, he appointed the PI.

We hope this sheds some light.

Yours in cycling,

Cycle Events

Most people do not know Andy Masters, put his name on the website or PM the OP

Edited by eccentric1

Lets get this damn thing organised properly.... you there stand in a line from Long to Short and when I say number you NUMBER!!!!!! MOVE WHY ARE YOU WAITING!!!!!!

MJ, are you being irrational to get a rise out of people?

I donate money to 3 charity organisations yearly. One of them is the SPCA. I also buy all of my pet food and supplies at the SPCA so they can make a profit. I've not asked for financials because they are not doing what they do for business. They do what they do because there is a need for it. Nobody does a thing for animals, certainly not our 'government'.

This was not directed at you tjop. Wrote that to that nice mr. TNT. You go have a nice day too now you hear...

This was not directed at you tjop. Wrote that to that nice mr. TNT. You go have a nice day too now you hear...

Don't stress MJ. And as it turns out, grb pretty much covered everything in his response.

Are we just not allowed to raise valid concerns here?