Carte Blanche expose

Cippo

I agree with you 100%. Not sure why everyone else is so pleased about what was a very average piece of journalism. They told us that bikes get hijacked and might go to Mozam or might go to Zimbabwe or might be ridden around on by locals and they were being sold for way less than market value - WOW really!! Oh and a couple of guys got arrested, but no mention of kingpins or any one that might count in the whole thing! Compared to what they have done for other issues I think that this really wasn't great. Sure it gets the word out and blah blah blah but as a piece of investigative journalism I give it less than 5 out of 10.

Typical sideline singer, have you read my response to the previous post ?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a sad, sad situation we're in, but come one guys - don't ride alone!!!

That won't always happen or be possible, I for one ride alone often. I refuse to feel intimidated.

I think that the segment was good, you can only report so much in a short space of time, you also don't wanna give the entire game away. As others have also said, it sound like this is only happening in Jozi.

That won't always happen or be possible, I for one ride alone often. I refuse to feel intimidated.

I think that the segment was good, you can only report so much in a short space of time, you also don't wanna give the entire game away. As others have also said, it sound like this is only happening in Jozi.

I think they did well, Kate was telling us that they are only allowing 10 minutes per segment, the big bosses eventually allowed 12.

They took much more footage, they filmed our first awareness ride , which wasn't shown (there was a 10 second piece where we arrive to thank the community who helped), they interviewed Kevin Perkins and left that out.

I think they did well, they touched on the more serious cases where people were hurt and then Troy's story and the reason for his story I believe, is because his bike was recovered and that is what led to some breakthrough.

Edited by Dangle

I think they did well, Kate was telling us that they are only allowing 10 minutes per segment, the big bosses eventually allowed 12.

They took much more footage, they filmed our first awareness ride (there was a 10 second piece where we arrive to thank the community who helped) , which wasn't shown, they interviewed Kevin Perkins and left that out.

I think they did well, they touched on the more serious cases where people were hurt and then Troy's story and the reason for his story I believe, is because his bike was recovered and that is what led to some breakthrough.

I didn't realise that they did that "roadblock" that was a surprise, how did the people stopped take to be stopped and questioned?

Folks are having a tough time in the W.Cape as well - there have been quite a few postings on this site about bike jackings in the CT/'Bosch areas.

It hasn't started happening here in KZN yet, so I still feel relatively safe riding on my own. But give it time.

I've got an uneasy feeling that last night's show put a whole lot of ideas into certain low-lifes' heads. I'm sure a lot of gangsters sitting down to their Sunday night dinner were watching too, and all of a sudden realised how much these bikes are actually worth. Here's hoping the show doesn't actually cause more criminals to get into the 'game' :unsure:

Look, don't get me wrong, the show was very necessary. And I applaud all of you who have been involved in this initiative. From me to you, thanks. But at the same time, I couldn't help that sense of dread. It seems to be just two parts of the country at the moment, but it's still early days.

I agree with you 100%. Not sure why everyone else is so pleased about what was a very average piece of journalism. They told us that bikes get hijacked and might go to Mozam or might go to Zimbabwe or might be ridden around on by locals and they were being sold for way less than market value - WOW really!! Oh and a couple of guys got arrested, but no mention of kingpins or any one that might count in the whole thing! Compared to what they have done for other issues I think that this really wasn't great. Sure it gets the word out and blah blah blah but as a piece of investigative journalism I give it less than 5 out of 10.

You see, you are involved in cycling so what you saw last night is commen knowledge to YOU...

As of today bikejackings are not commen knowledge to the general public...yet. My non-cycling friends was stunned to find out there even exists such a thing as "bike jackings". So thanks to last night, the word is out!

You see, you are involved in cycling so what you saw last night is commen knowledge to YOU...

As of today bikejackings are not commen knowledge to the general public...yet. My non-cycling friends was stunned to find out there even exists such a thing as "bike jackings". So thanks to last night, the word is out!

MJ, yes good statement.

I have only been in the saddle for about year, and didn't know that it was this bad. Sort of expected, if listen to Andrew saying that average bike price is between 30 and 40k.

Well done to Dangle, Troy and all the others who have organized themselves to tackle this problem - its really cool what you are doing.

Carte Blanche was one part of your action and it got the message across and maybe encouraged the cops to do better. I think it did its job and hope you can get a follow-up.

I guess the main part of your campaign goes on, largely unseen but effective.

Hats off to your group.

I didn't realise that they did that "roadblock" that was a surprise, how did the people stopped take to be stopped and questioned?

They were nervous.

We had quite a few police officers there as well as the Colonel who runs our precinct.

They would ask the peeps where they got the bike, some gave their bosses number and then the police would call and correlate the story.

People don't realise the impact of something like that, it pretty much helps in cutting off a buying market.

How some might ask ?

The word has now spread very fast through Jo'Burg that one should not just buy just any bike being offered as it might just be a stolen bike.

Where people were happy to spend like a R 1 k. on a nice mid end bike, they are now thinking twice, realising that the cops and cyclists are on to them and that they will lose the bike and ultimately their hard earned cash and they could also face arrest for buying stolen goods.

I just want to add one thing to all the keyboard warriors who sit on their asses and complain about how little was done.

The impact that awareness creates, is bigger than some might think.

Typical sideline singer, have you read my response to the previous post ?

Is your real name Derek by any chance? :)

Yes I have read what you wrote and it doesn't change my opinion about the piece. As far as getting the word out goes yes it was great, a whole bunch of people watched it and awareness was generated. As far as being a decent piece of investigative journalism - it wasn't. It is a shame because Carte Blanche has set very high standards with some great pieces of journalism in the past. Perhaps it might have been worth them waiting a couple more weeks to get some actual answers? Perhaps there aren't actually answers like we are hoping with syndicates buying bikes overseas and all sort of conspiracy theories. Perhaps it’s just a bunch of starving people who have recognised an opportunity to make some "easy" money. That is a reality of South Africa.

Good point. As cyclists we are more aware of bike jackings and the happenings through the hub and fellow cyclists. As non cyclists most people are not that aware.

I think it is a GREAT start. (as I said earlier)

When is the next awareness ride?

Edit: Just seen on FB its September sometime.

Edited by Me-rider

Folks are having a tough time in the W.Cape as well - there have been quite a few postings on this site about bike jackings in the CT/'Bosch areas.

It hasn't started happening here in KZN yet, so I still feel relatively safe riding on my own. But give it time.

I've got an uneasy feeling that last night's show put a whole lot of ideas into certain low-lifes' heads. I'm sure a lot of gangsters sitting down to their Sunday night dinner were watching too, and all of a sudden realised how much these bikes are actually worth. Here's hoping the show doesn't actually cause more criminals to get into the 'game' :unsure:

Look, don't get me wrong, the show was very necessary. And I applaud all of you who have been involved in this initiative. From me to you, thanks. But at the same time, I couldn't help that sense of dread. It seems to be just two parts of the country at the moment, but it's still early days.

The day this start happening is the day I go to Oz, lets hope it never does. Not sure how many gangsters sit down to watch Carte Blanche on Sunday evenings :lol: Maybe just the kingpins, they are the ******* you wanna catch.

Maybe a national ride to highlight the Bicycle Safety campaign?

Well done to Dangle, Troy and all the others who have organized themselves to tackle this problem - its really cool what you are doing.

Carte Blanche was one part of your action and it got the message across and maybe encouraged the cops to do better. I think it did its job and hope you can get a follow-up.

I guess the main part of your campaign goes on, largely unseen but effective.

Hats off to your group.

Many thanks Joe.

That is really what we wanted to achieve, awareness goes a long way :thumbup:

I just want to add one thing to all the keyboard warriors who sit on their asses and complain about how little was done.

The impact that awareness creates, is bigger than some might think.

:thumbup:

That also applies to a lot of cyclists, have had to explain to a good few cyclists about being aware and vigilant, and the possibility of a potential high-jacking