Carte Blanche expose

Cippo

:clap:

My heart goes out to the victims of this "cycle Jacking", that poor women that got pulled aside, to maybe get raped. Also the other women by Botha laan.

Seriously, cycling is such an innocent sport. As Andrew Mclean had said, it's even affecting business.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job and well done to Dangle, Troy and the rest of the lads.

Was quite impressed that Westrand Cycles was being advertised from within CL. :lol:

Well you buy a handgun on the blackmarket for about R300. Shoot the mother f***** and the nice thing is it will never be traced to you

so we are fighting one black market by buying guns on another black market?! mature approach this...

so we are fighting one black market by buying guns on another black market?! mature approach this...

But you from what they had shown, it seems like these ... "Bliksems" are waiting at crutial places, like at an uphill.

Might be wrong.

It's a sad, sad situation we're in, but come one guys - don't ride alone!!!

Yes, but as my wife pointed out. They "skelms" will just re-paint the bikes or peel of the stickers. Or some clever thing...

Like with cars

The problem with something like this is that when you catch the bastards, a new set will step into their place to fill the void and some more clever and/or violent ways to get the bikes. And with the current economic climate it is just going to get worse.

One solution would be to kill access to the offset point or market for the stolen bikes. But that is going to be very tough. How do you know if the parts you buy second-hand is not from a stolen bike? You will never know. No distinguishable characteristics like with a frame that might have a serial number.

Edited by Moridin

It's a sad, sad situation we're in, but come one guys - don't ride alone!!!

I dont agree, in fact that itself can be a false security.

Better to prepare accordingly. Have some kind of defensive preparation, know your route and understand the risks of any particular route.

Personally feel that does more to mitigate risk, rather than riding in a group all the time on every ride.

Personally I was disappointed in the INVESTIGATIVE journalism of Carte Blanche!

So much more could have been shown and featured.

This is a topic close to our hearts, but how sad was this programme put together.

Is bike hijacking not taking place in any other parts of the country?

Who is buying these bikes for a R1000?

How do they get taken out of the country and who is doing this? I am sure one bike is not taken at a time, so there must be some kind of syndicate.

Be more specific wrt the countries these bicycles are being taken to.

Who is at the receiving end once the bike arrive and are they sold on the street or in lbs!

Who in SA is buying these bikes? Sure they are not only stolen for export.

Were the persons caught ever sentenced?

Why only interview one lbs owner?

(Just some questions)

As usual I am waiting on the hubbers to slap me with there snide remarks.

W

What about undercover investigation by Carte Blanche.

I agree with you 100%. Not sure why everyone else is so pleased about what was a very average piece of journalism. They told us that bikes get hijacked and might go to Mozam or might go to Zimbabwe or might be ridden around on by locals and they were being sold for way less than market value - WOW really!! Oh and a couple of guys got arrested, but no mention of kingpins or any one that might count in the whole thing! Compared to what they have done for other issues I think that this really wasn't great. Sure it gets the word out and blah blah blah but as a piece of investigative journalism I give it less than 5 out of 10.

The problem with something like this is that when you catch the bastards, a new set will step into their place to fill the void and some more clever and/or violent ways to get the bikes. And with the current economic climate it is just going to get worse.

One solution would be to kill access to the offset point or market for the stolen bikes. But that is going to be very tough. How do you know if the parts you buy second-hand is not from a stolen bike? You will never know. No distinguishable characteristics like with a frame that might have a serial number.

Microdot.

Good show. Would have been nice if they highlighted the problem in the rest of the country as well as indicating the stats that where gathered on the hub.

Any ex militia person will not be affected due to training.

i remember reading pepper spray is less effective on drug users - might be wrong though

did someone not PVR the show? might be worthwhile to youtube it and upload to the fb page

Edited by Stretch