XT brakes wont stop vibrating

Smolly

Fitter - would that not be too small ? and what would that for breaking performance?

Not unless you are a monster rugby player - then we need you for Saturday V the Kiwis. Rear brakes don't require that amount of grab as your limit will be traction and the brakes you have are powerful enough. This unless you are riding 29 wheels or doing a lot of DH - then maybe a 140 ....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not unless you are a monster rugby player - then we need you for Saturday V the Kiwis. Rear brakes don't require that amount of grab as your limit will be traction and the brakes you have are powerful enough. This unless you are riding 29 wheels or doing a lot of DH - then maybe a 140 ....

Thanks Fitter! I will replace the rotor and hope for the best!

Smolster, apparently very little, kinda like just taking the edge off, he said the guy at the bike shop was done in like 5 minutes.

Thanks Gravity, sounds like a plan before I drop another couple of hundred bucks on a smaller rotor.

Will try tonight and let you know.

I have the exact same issue currently with my rear brake too.. Running Juicy 7's... Let me know if that works Smolster

Then try a 120.

Fitter, where did you have a 120 made? They're not standard so rather don't talk crap to a nooby.

Hi,

Seems to be a common problem. Try sand the pads a little with very fine sand paper. Also the leading edges where is is square sand a slight 45 degree on it. Had similar problems with brakes before and I found taking the "square edge" off the pads helped. Also copper grease just a little between the metal side of the pad and the caliper plumger (not much) helps takke away squeaking and also could help solve some of the vibration.

Personally i would not recomend going 120mm rotor. A race like Groot Marico you could overheat the rotor as it's too small and end up like Kevin evens :unsure:

okay! took them off and sanded them a little - turns out that they are meatl pads when the bike shop swore they were resin!

Took the sharp corners off to about 45 degreesn and gave them an overall light sand.

Finished work quite late, so will do a test ride today!

Let you know how this works out. Its the Sun City race this weekend and don't want to see my @ss like I did at Marico, and especially not on my on my home turf..lol :P

Edited by Smolster

okay! took them off and sanded them a little - turns out that they are meatl pads when the bike shop swore they were resin!

Took the sharp corners off to about 45 degreesn and gave them an overall light sand.

Finished work quite late, so will do a test ride today!

Let you know how this works out. Its the Sun City race this weekend and don't want to see my @ss like I did at Marico, and especially not on my on my home turf..lol :P

Your problem = metal pads!!

I'm almost sure they have to be resin....

You can also try to swap the front & back caliper...just for good measure.

Your problem = metal pads!!

I'm almost sure they have to be resin....

You can also try to swap the front & back caliper...just for good measure.

Thanks for the insight - was never happy with the idea of meatl pads - where could I get resin XT pads form?

Thanks for the insight - was never happy with the idea of meatl pads - where could I get resin XT pads form?

Almost any cycling shop should carry stock. You can order online from cwc and have them mailed to you

Almost any cycling shop should carry stock. You can order online from cwc and have them mailed to you

Thanks King Crispy - hope they can have them to me by the weekend.

Okay!

Well, sanding the pads didn't work, so next in line is to change the pads from metal to resin..... and if that doesn't work..... smaller rotor!

I have the exact same issue currently with my rear brake too.. Running Juicy 7's... Let me know if that works Smolster

Sanding doesn't work! - i'm trying resin pads, then a smaller rotor.