32GI

ridr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark, thanks for all the great info.

What would happen if we added caffeine to it?

I am led to believe that if you live a caffeine free lifestyle and then if you have caffeine during an event it also helps your body to burn fuel and it also lowers the perceived effort as well.

Can you add any light to this?

Would it also work like this with 32Gi?

Mark, thanks for all the great info.

What would happen if we added caffeine to it?

I am led to believe that if you live a caffeine free lifestyle and then if you have caffeine during an event it also helps your body to burn fuel and it also lowers the perceived effort as well.

Can you add any light to this?

Would it also work like this with 32Gi?

Caffeine really has 2 purposes, the one most people think of is the kick. Its short lived though and probably taking caffeine in the last 45-60 minutes of an event will just give you that little boost of mental focus towards the finish.

However where caffeine is used by elite athletes is on a different level. Its also why the WADA has limitations on how much caffeine one can ingest. Caffeine is known to slow down the rate of glycogen depletion,as it increases the release of adrenaline and increases the use of body fat as fuel however in order for this to be effective you need to ingest roughly 3mg-6mg per a kg of bodyweight, 3-4 hours before the event. You should also have starved off caffeine at least 7 days prior to the event. The problem with most races in South Africa is they start so early u would really need to deprive yourself of sleep to hit the 4 hour period before in order to benefit from it.

Also the caffeine should be taken in a certain form, not in an energy drink using herbal caffeine u need "real" caffeine such as the coffee kind.

Remember though:

Caffeine does act as a diaretic and can cause dehydration

Caffeine can cause irritable bowel

Caffeine is a thermogenic, it will raise your core body temperature and get your heart rate up, mmm not quite what u want in a race

Caffeine has not shown or been proven to have any benefits on strength or power either.

So I think that pretty much sums it up, my personal view, I say if you are going to try it, experiment first to ensure you know exactly how your body will respond. I dont use caffeine at all, I feel its best use would be in the last 45 minutes of a race to kick some mental focus in, but then you have the rest coming with it.

Hope this helps

all the best

Mark

Cool, thanks for the info Mark.

So in other words as well, If you had to take a large amount of caffeine before the event, would that then mean that the last hour of the event would be more effective than the earlier stages of the race?

Why does it take so long for your body to use it like that?

You also mentioned not caffeine from like herbal teas or something. But isnt caffeine caffeine?

I do understand that it will also cause your HR to rise, but in a short event of under 3 hours it should be ok?

Cool, thanks for the info Mark.

So in other words as well, If you had to take a large amount of caffeine before the event, would that then mean that the last hour of the event would be more effective than the earlier stages of the race?

Why does it take so long for your body to use it like that?

You also mentioned not caffeine from like herbal teas or something. But isnt caffeine caffeine?

I do understand that it will also cause your HR to rise, but in a short event of under 3 hours it should be ok?

Its not just about taking long for your body to use it, the body takes time to release the adrenaline required to increase the use of fat as fuel to spare glycogen, and over and above that it reduces the risk of dehydration due to the diuretic effect as its already in the system and past that stage.

The reason I mentioned the herbal caffeine, if someone takes their caffeine in the form of lets say guarana it might say 10mg of guarana but you would not know the caffeine content of that if not listed. So the reason I say that is you know exactly how much you are taking in, but yes caffeine is caffeine, sorry for the confusion.

As for the heart rate, I guess the question is how high would it raise it and when? I know my HR Max is 194 lets say, when I race I am in a certain threshold of that, and my biggest concern for me is that the caffeine can take me over the threshold. I would rather be in control of my body than have the caffeine be in control of it. However having said that, playing around with it during training etc can give u a good idea of its benefits.

On 32Gi side, we have put caffeine into one of our drinks for an elite athlete who requested it, he uses that mixture in the last kick of a race, say last hour or so.

all the best

M

Its not just about taking long for your body to use it, the body takes time to release the adrenaline required to increase the use of fat as fuel to spare glycogen, and over and above that it reduces the risk of dehydration due to the diuretic effect as its already in the system and past that stage.

The reason I mentioned the herbal caffeine, if someone takes their caffeine in the form of lets say guarana it might say 10mg of guarana but you would not know the caffeine content of that if not listed. So the reason I say that is you know exactly how much you are taking in, but yes caffeine is caffeine, sorry for the confusion.

As for the heart rate, I guess the question is how high would it raise it and when? I know my HR Max is 194 lets say, when I race I am in a certain threshold of that, and my biggest concern for me is that the caffeine can take me over the threshold. I would rather be in control of my body than have the caffeine be in control of it. However having said that, playing around with it during training etc can give u a good idea of its benefits.

On 32Gi side, we have put caffeine into one of our drinks for an elite athlete who requested it, he uses that mixture in the last kick of a race, say last hour or so.

all the best

M

Awesome.

Do you know where he gets the raw caffeine from to do that? Could probably get it from the chemist?

I am currently starting to cut out my caffeine out of my daily life and my diet has shifted to eat mostly only low gi foods.

I figured for myself, there is enough evidence out there that the low gi drink works well on the bike for long or short events.

But for me to make a successful transition to using it I need to

A. Get my entire diet down to as healthy as possible (GI wise)

B. I need to get rid of my caffeine addiction as I am going to have serious cravings while on the bike (headaches, unable to focus etc) I used to have at least 5 cups + of coffee during the day and now dropping the amount has left me with headaches and I feel terrible.

So I am currently on 1-2 cup daily, by next week I will try to drop it to one every two days.

You see I have been worried that if I am so dependent on coffee now, what is going to happen to me on a endurance event like the DC when I am not getting in my normal amount of caffeine. I am going to suffer more than I should.

So I rather want to get off totally and then try add it only for events or for heavy training.

Im not really worried about the elevated HR. I have in the past had so many caffeine gels etc on races and it has all worked out ok. Im still here B) I have even popped grandpa tablets on some races where my back was killing me - I know it is not good for your kidneys, but I was desperate, and that contains extra caffeine as well. I got my HR to just over 200 once, but I was pretty close to bringing up my guts then.

So I know that if I can shift totally clean, then adding a bit of the stimulant it will help me more and I will still be on the safe side (legally and physically).

But I suppose as you said, I will need to test it out to see how it agrees with my system as well.

Shot for the advice!

hi mark.

if i intend doing a 4hr training ride/race would i:

-take 2 scoops(2hrs) 15mins prior to the start and take another bottle with me for the remaining 2hrs?

-take low GI breakfast and start race with 2x2hr bottles?

thanks

@MDW what is the RRP now? I have noticed that it went up by R40 from the Retailer I buy from?

Hi Wheelsuck, the reccommended retail price is between R230 - R250 , some retailers as would be with any new product start off with a discounted price to test the waters and once they see the customers buying they regulate it. I guess its just nerves of buying stock and then worrying about selling it.

Anyway R230 - R250 wold be right on our online site it works out at more because we charge delivery as well as a percentage of that goes to the Sports Trust to help with community development.

hope that helps

all the best

Mark

hi mark.

if i intend doing a 4hr training ride/race would i:

-take 2 scoops(2hrs) 15mins prior to the start and take another bottle with me for the remaining 2hrs?

-take low GI breakfast and start race with 2x2hr bottles?

thanks

Hi Tyger

On a ride of this time, I usually just take 2 bottles with me, 2x500ml or 2x750m and i add 2 scoops to each. That will see me for the entire 4 hours plus more, as I have a pre-ride meal. I only start sipping on it 15 minutes or so just before I go to get it into the system and then drink along the ride. Anything left over I pop back into the fridge and re-use next time, as it does not go off. Thats the beauty of it, it wont go to waste if you take a little too much.

In my 750ml bottles sometimes I put 3 scoops, 1 per - 250ml's. Depends on how hard the ride will be.

Let me know if this helps

all the best

Mark

Thanks Mark, understood, got some of the chews as well so will try shortly, btw what's the status with Dischem, is it available nationally yet, need some for Dischem at Retail Crossing in Strubensvalley.

Here is my mixing table for 32GI. I fill the measuring jug to the desired line, place it on the scale and zero it. And then add the powder. 100% mix everytime.

2000ml = 133g

1750ml = 117g

1500ml = 100g

1250ml = 83g

1000ml = 67g

750ml = 50g

700ml = 47g

650ml = 43g

500ml = 33g

450ml = 30g

400ml = 27g

350ml = 23g

Thanks Mark, understood, got some of the chews as well so will try shortly, btw what's the status with Dischem, is it available nationally yet, need some for Dischem at Retail Crossing in Strubensvalley.

Dis-Chem has approved us being nationally listed, but that means we need to get the stores to put in their orders, we have taken the Dis-Chem branches people have mentioned on the HUB and will start with those for sure.

all the best

M

Here is my mixing table for 32GI. I fill the measuring jug to the desired line, place it on the scale and zero it. And then add the powder. 100% mix everytime.

2000ml = 133g

1750ml = 117g

1500ml = 100g

1250ml = 83g

1000ml = 67g

750ml = 50g

700ml = 47g

650ml = 43g

500ml = 33g

450ml = 30g

400ml = 27g

350ml = 23g

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: had to laugh at that one Mampara, want a job ;-)

I used mine for the first time at Welvanpas on saturday and must admit it seems to work. Only took 1 bottle of it but seemed to have worked. will try it again soon. Pity I have the peach flavour would of prefered the Raspberry :blink:

I used mine for the first time at Welvanpas on saturday and must admit it seems to work. Only took 1 bottle of it but seemed to have worked. will try it again soon. Pity I have the peach flavour would of prefered the Raspberry :blink:

I will swap you my raspberry for your peach, I love the peach ;-)

Archived