32GI

ridr

Hi guys, I read the first 10 pages and the last 15 pages of this thread. This has been asked but I did not find the answer. If your race start early morning, what breakfast do you take if you use 32gi products?

This morning I did a 75 km lsd. We were 3guys, the other two much fitter than I am. Heart rate was high but I kept with them (i know it was not te purpose of the lsd but 3:30 h alone in te saddle is a bitch).

So for breakfast I chew one of the orange flavored chewable 32gi stuff. In one bottle I had 3scoops of endure. The other water.

At 2h into the ride a strong headwind came up that just broke me to pieces. I finished the endure plus the other 3 chewables with 1h of riding left.

All power just went out the legs the last 30 min. Total time in the saddle was around 3:30h.

I understand that accellerate might have helped in the 2nd bottle.

So back to origanal q: what breakfast should one eat?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose any of the cereals below will do as a low gi breakfast.

Low GI (below 55)

Dairy

All low fat and fat free milk (plain and sweetened), except condensed milk

Full cream milk*

Low fat buttermilk (check labels!)

Buttermilk, regular full cream*

All low fat and fat free yoghurt (plain and sweetened)

Yoghurt (Clover Danone)

Fat Free Muesli Corner and Strawberry Corner Yoghurt, Sweetened with fructose (Clover Danone)

Cooled low fat and fat free custard (sweetened with sugar)

Hot low fat and fat free custard (Unsweetened/artificially sweetened)

Fine Form Chocolate ice cream

Low fat & fat free ice cream, milk-based (sweetened and unsweetened) e.g. Dialite

Cereals

Wholewheat Pronutro, Original and Apple Bake (Bokomo) – with or without low fat/fat free milk

Fibre Plus (Bokomo)

Hi-Fibre Bran (Kelloggs)

Shredded Bran (Pick ‘n Pay No Name Brand)

SPP SD 605 Insta-Meal

Sorghum with added acid i.e. lemon juice or vinegar (South African)

Nature’s Source range of low GI muesli’s i.e. Mixed Berries muesli, Orange & Spices muesli and Apple and Cinnamon muesli

Cooled Mealiemeal porridge

Fruitful All Bran Flakes (Kellogg's) - new formulation

Bran Flakes (Bokomo)

Oat bran, raw (Jungle)

All- Bran (Kelloggs) with skim milk

Fine Form Muesli

Morning Harvest Muesli (Bokomo)

Pronutro Original with low fat milk

Raw muesli containing mainly oats (preferably Bokomo/Woolworths/Pick ‘n Pay No Name Brand), oat bran (Jungle), digestive bran, wheat germ, Fibre Plus (Bokomo)/Hi- Fibre Bran (Kelloggs)/Shredded Bran (Pick 'n Pay), Wholewheat Pronutro, Bran Flakes (Bokomo), sultanas, dried deciduous fruit and a few nuts (no Brazil nuts!)

Bread and flour

Bran Crisp Bread

Provita wholewheat crackers (Original and Multigrain)

Fine Form Sliced Brown Bread, Wholegrain rye bread (pumpernickel), sourdough rye bread, Uncle Salie’s Homemade Brown Seedloaf bread (Sasko), Duens Seedloaf Bread (Sasko)and any other bread containing lots of whole barley, rye, wheat, buckwheat, crushed wheat, oats - Bokomo/ Woolworths/ Pick ‘n Pay No Name Brand), oat bran, digestive bran, soya/pea flour, low fat dairy and/or low GI fruit e.g. sultanas,apples, etc.

Fruit bread e.g. Raisin bread, banana bread, etc.

Soya and pea flour

Oat bran – Jungle (raw)

Digestive bran and rice bran

Starches

All legumes i.e. dry, cooked and/or canned beans, peas, lentils, etc. including soya beans, baked beans, chickpeas, black eyed beans, etc. (sweetened and unsweetened), low fat soups made thereof and dry bean stew, except broad beans

Pearled (whole) barley and cracked barley

Whole and cracked rye

Cooled samp

Pearled whole wheat/Weet-rice/Bulgur/”Stampkoring” and crushed wheat

Buckwheat

All pasta ( plain, wholewheat and spinach) i.e. macaroni, spaghetti and noodles made from 100% Durum Wheat, Fine Form Tagliatelle (plain, wholewheat and spinach), Fine Form Lasagne Pasta, Mr Pasta & Pasta Grande Spaghetti (Sasko), and low fat Instant Pasta (Durum Wheat; not 2-Minute Noodles)

Cooled Mealiemeal

Tastic Rice

Sushi (Australian & Japannese)

Sweet potato (Australian)

Long grain rice

Wild rice

Whole corn (tinned and frozen) and corn on the cob/sweetcorn (fresh)

Brown rice (Old Mill Stream)

Fruit

All fresh and dried deciduous fruit i.e. apricots, fresh cherries, peaches, nectarines, plums, pears and apples, as well as all berries e.g. strawberries, mulberries, etc. (Stone/temperate climate fruits have lower GI’s) NB. Watch portion sizes; dried fruit is very concentrated

All citrus fruit i.e. lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges, naartjies, and unsweetened citrus peel (The more tart/sharp/acid the fruit, the lower the GI)

Low GI (below 55)

Dairy

All low fat and fat free milk (plain and sweetened), except condensed milk

Full cream milk*

Low fat buttermilk (check labels!)

Buttermilk, regular full cream*

All low fat and fat free yoghurt (plain and sweetened)

Yoghurt (Clover Danone)

Fat Free Muesli Corner and Strawberry Corner Yoghurt, Sweetened with fructose (Clover Danone)

Cooled low fat and fat free custard (sweetened with sugar)

Hot low fat and fat free custard (Unsweetened/artificially sweetened)

Fine Form Chocolate ice cream

Low fat & fat free ice cream, milk-based (sweetened and unsweetened) e.g. Dialite

Cereals

Wholewheat Pronutro, Original and Apple Bake (Bokomo) – with or without low fat/fat free milk

Fibre Plus (Bokomo)

Hi-Fibre Bran (Kelloggs)

Shredded Bran (Pick ‘n Pay No Name Brand)

SPP SD 605 Insta-Meal

Sorghum with added acid i.e. lemon juice or vinegar (South African)

Nature’s Source range of low GI muesli’s i.e. Mixed Berries muesli, Orange & Spices muesli and Apple and Cinnamon muesli

Cooled Mealiemeal porridge

Fruitful All Bran Flakes (Kellogg's) - new formulation

Bran Flakes (Bokomo)

Oat bran, raw (Jungle)

All- Bran (Kelloggs) with skim milk

Fine Form Muesli

Morning Harvest Muesli (Bokomo)

Pronutro Original with low fat milk

Raw muesli containing mainly oats (preferably Bokomo/Woolworths/Pick ‘n Pay No Name Brand), oat bran (Jungle), digestive bran, wheat germ, Fibre Plus (Bokomo)/Hi- Fibre Bran (Kelloggs)/Shredded Bran (Pick 'n Pay), Wholewheat Pronutro, Bran Flakes (Bokomo), sultanas, dried deciduous fruit and a few nuts (no Brazil nuts!)

Bread and flour

Bran Crisp Bread

Provita wholewheat crackers (Original and Multigrain)

Fine Form Sliced Brown Bread, Wholegrain rye bread (pumpernickel), sourdough rye bread, Uncle Salie’s Homemade Brown Seedloaf bread (Sasko), Duens Seedloaf Bread (Sasko)and any other bread containing lots of whole barley, rye, wheat, buckwheat, crushed wheat, oats - Bokomo/ Woolworths/ Pick ‘n Pay No Name Brand), oat bran, digestive bran, soya/pea flour, low fat dairy and/or low GI fruit e.g. sultanas,apples, etc.

Fruit bread e.g. Raisin bread, banana bread, etc.

Soya and pea flour

Oat bran – Jungle (raw)

Digestive bran and rice bran

Starches

All legumes i.e. dry, cooked and/or canned beans, peas, lentils, etc. including soya beans, baked beans, chickpeas, black eyed beans, etc. (sweetened and unsweetened), low fat soups made thereof and dry bean stew, except broad beans

Pearled (whole) barley and cracked barley

Whole and cracked rye

Cooled samp

Pearled whole wheat/Weet-rice/Bulgur/”Stampkoring” and crushed wheat

Buckwheat

All pasta ( plain, wholewheat and spinach) i.e. macaroni, spaghetti and noodles made from 100% Durum Wheat, Fine Form Tagliatelle (plain, wholewheat and spinach), Fine Form Lasagne Pasta, Mr Pasta & Pasta Grande Spaghetti (Sasko), and low fat Instant Pasta (Durum Wheat; not 2-Minute Noodles)

Cooled Mealiemeal

Tastic Rice

Sushi (Australian & Japannese)

Sweet potato (Australian)

Long grain rice

Wild rice

Whole corn (tinned and frozen) and corn on the cob/sweetcorn (fresh)

Brown rice (Old Mill Stream)

Fruit

All fresh and dried deciduous fruit i.e. apricots, fresh cherries, peaches, nectarines, plums, pears and apples, as well as all berries e.g. strawberries, mulberries, etc. (Stone/temperate climate fruits have lower GI’s) NB. Watch portion sizes; dried fruit is very concentrated

All citrus fruit i.e. lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges, naartjies, and unsweetened citrus peel (The more tart/sharp/acid the fruit, the lower the GI)

Just normal muesli type (some people make their own mixes) breakfast 1st thing when I wake up + coffee. That gives it some 45min. (trying to wake up and kitting) to settle before the ride.

Attended a Jeroen Swart talk once . Same question asked. . .I think he said something like a plain white bread sandwich (2 slices) with jam 30 to 45 min prior is good. Simple, quick carbs. More could cause gastric upset for some in a race/ hard ride.

Edited by IH8MUD

• 9 months later...

Hey guys/girls.

If I use only water during training will I benifit from this stuff on race day or should I use it during training also?

Thanks.

Hey guys/girls.

If I use only water during training will I benifit from this stuff on race day or should I use it during training also?

Thanks.

Training on water and using sugar for racing works well for me. Try it out, see how you feel

Training on water and using sugar for racing works well for me. Try it out, see how you feel

Awesome. I'll give it a go.

Mmm if your race day is far away enough try doing a race simulation training day and test out the product.  Everyone reacts different so just give it a test and see how you feel.  If you notice any major dips in energy after taking it, might not be the product for you.  You don't want to find that out on a race day.

Given that, this product is awesome I recommend it to everyone. So if your race day is this weekend and you don't have time to test it I'm sure it will be fine.

Edited by Davey_Jones

• 2 months later...

32gi have changed the packaging of Trumag pills.

Now it's 30 pills for the same price.

you pay now R1.25 more per pill.

WTF???

@ Joeyk

Your meal the night before is of more importance. Breakfast should be 2 to 3 hours before your riding starts.

If I am at home I cook oats.

This is not your issue as I see it, you rode a long ride at someone else's zone 2 pace and not yours. The effort was to hard for you and too long. This is why you bonked.

When I used 32gi I would eat an oat breakfast or wholewheat pronutro and then use the 32 gi on the bike with trek whole food bars. Dischem has them. If you are on a low gi strategy you have to stay on it for your whole ride. No coke or sweets at the tables. Eggs and potatoes to avoid the sugar spike and crash.

I no longer use 32gi, I have changed to a locally made product that works for me.

• 3 months later...

Is it just me or has this product changed in taste and performance recently?

Since packaged NEW STANDARDS etc???