Bike computers

Newboy

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my old Cateye bike computer died on me yesterday, it was old and was needing to be replaced. Reading through this thread it seems that the Garmin 500 is perfect for what I need, also like the idea of it being interchangeable between bikes, as I don't have a computer on my training bike at the moment.

Easybike are doing what seems like a great deal at the moment, R2699 with the bundle.

Just wanted to ask a bit more about the GPS capabilities, how does it work with mapping routes, and then being able to follow them. I like to explore and at the same time be able to follow other people routes, just want to be sure that I can do this.

Many Thanks.

So my old Cateye bike computer died on me yesterday, it was old and was needing to be replaced. Reading through this thread it seems that the Garmin 500 is perfect for what I need, also like the idea of it being interchangeable between bikes, as I don't have a computer on my training bike at the moment.

Easybike are doing what seems like a great deal at the moment, R2699 with the bundle.

Just wanted to ask a bit more about the GPS capabilities, how does it work with mapping routes, and then being able to follow them. I like to explore and at the same time be able to follow other people routes, just want to be sure that I can do this.

Many Thanks.

The edge 500 doesn't do mapping...ie you pitch at Holla and select the blue route and off you go giving you turn by turn directions. The only way you can get a trail / route on your device is if you download a previously ridden route by yourself or someone else on garmin connect and add it as a course on your device, this will give you breadcrumbs to follow with NO detail other than that. This works well though and I do this frequently...go to garmin connect, select a route I would like to try and load as a course, you can even race the person that loaded the trail with a little virtual partner.

No device comes with trails of south africa...not even the 800. You will have to download them from various sites and then upload to your device. People often make this mistake when buying these gps devices, they think they will unwrap the thing and pitch at a trail head and it will show you all the trails giving you turn by turn directions like a car GPS. If you are a roadie it's a different story with the 800 since it comes with a street map of SA(not sure...maybe you need to purchase it separately, but it has the functionality) so yes it does that very well, but as soon as you go into the bush on some singletrack it won't display on your computer.

Edited by rouxtjie

i got the bryton rider 35 and hrm strap for 2k and it does exactly what I want. for an extra 100 you can get the cadence sensor as well

The edge 500 doesn't do mapping...ie you pitch at Holla and select the blue route and off you go giving you turn by turn directions. The only way you can get a trail / route on your device is if you download a previously ridden route by yourself or someone else on garmin connect and add it as a course on your device, this will give you breadcrumbs to follow with NO detail other than that. This works well though and I do this frequently...go to garmin connect, select a route I would like to try and load as a course, you can even race the person that loaded the trail with a little virtual partner.

No device comes with trails of south africa...not even the 800. You will have to download them from various sites and then upload to your device. People often make this mistake when buying these gps devices, they think they will unwrap the thing and pitch at a trail head and it will show you all the trails giving you turn by turn directions like a car GPS. If you are a roadie it's a different story with the 800 since it comes with a street map of SA so yes it does that very well, but as soon as you go into the bush on some singletrack it won't display on your computer.

Thanks for the reply, just to confirm a couple of things. When you say it doesnt do mapping, it wont give me directions for an already mapped trail that someone else has already mapped, via Garmin Connect.?

I understand that it does not work the same as a street map GPS unit, just wanna be able to map my own route while riding a trail. Should I rather look at the Garmin 800 for that?

I just wanna be able to explore more, but at the same time not get lost somewhere I've never ridden before, yes I know thats what MTB is about sometimes, but in the same breath, I don't wanna have planned a 3/4 hour ride and then I'm still stuck somewhere in the bush for 8 hours and too exhausted to get back.

i got the bryton rider 35 and hrm strap for 2k and it does exactly what I want. for an extra 100 you can get the cadence sensor as well

Can you swop between bikes with this? I want one unit for my two bikes. I was suggested to look at these as well.

Are the Brytons better or worse, or same same as a Garmin

Thanks for the reply, just to confirm a couple of things. When you say it doesnt do mapping, it wont give me directions for an already mapped trail that someone else has already mapped, via Garmin Connect.?

I understand that it does not work the same as a street map GPS unit, just wanna be able to map my own route while riding a trail. Should I rather look at the Garmin 800 for that?

I just wanna be able to explore more, but at the same time not get lost somewhere I've never ridden before, yes I know thats what MTB is about sometimes, but in the same breath, I don't wanna have planned a 3/4 hour ride and then I'm still stuck somewhere in the bush for 8 hours and too exhausted to get back.

No sweat...the 500 will give you direction if you have downloaded a previously ridden route from garmin connect and added it as a course. BUT the directions are very basic...breadcrumbs with an arrow with NO detail in the background. It works well though and I use it quite a bit, but you can't really call it mapping. I used last weekend to check out the new singletrack at van gaalens. LTG posted his garmin connect workout, I uploaded and followed the breadcrumbs to the new parts.

The 500 is an excellent unit, it hits the sweetspot between price and value imo. The 800 isn't worse and it has a colour display and all that but if you get lost in the bush it doesn't matter if its in black and white or colour. Same with the 800 if you haven't uploaded the route to you device it won't know where you are or to get you out of there via other trails since they are not mapped. You might be able to go back on yourself to get to somewhere familiar. Also the touch screen thing on the 800 combined with mud doesn't make sense but that's just me.

Get the 500, you wont be dissapointed

Can you swop between bikes with this? I want one unit for my two bikes. I was suggested to look at these as well.

Are the Brytons better or worse, or same same as a Garmin

you can setup multiple bikes. I have been more than happy with the bryton - but then i have only had it for a short while. the 35 hour battery life is also very nice. I also havent tested out the "follow" mode yet - i.e. load a route and follow it so I cant comment on that

No sweat...the 500 will give you direction if you have downloaded a previously ridden route from garmin connect and added it as a course. BUT the directions are very basic...breadcrumbs with an arrow with NO detail in the background. It works well though and I use it quite a bit, but you can't really call it mapping. I used last weekend to check out the new singletrack at van gaalens. LTG posted his garmin connect workout, I uploaded and followed the breadcrumbs to the new parts.

The 500 is an excellent unit, it hits the sweetspot between price and value imo. The 800 isn't worse and it has a colour display and all that but if you get lost in the bush it doesn't matter if its in black and white or colour. Same with the 800 if you haven't uploaded the route to you device it won't know where you are or to get you out of there via other trails since they are not mapped. You might be able to go back on yourself to get to somewhere familiar. Also the touch screen thing on the 800 combined with mud doesn't make sense but that's just me.

Get the 500, you wont be dissapointed

Thanks, sold me :clap: I shall name my bikes, Hansel & Gretal so as to follow the breadcrumbs.

One last question, are Brytons GPS files compatible with Garmin GPS files?

Edited by Caerus

Thanks, sold me :clap: I shall name my bikes, Hansel & Gretal so as to follow the breadcrumbs.

One last question, are Brytons GPS files compatible with Garmin GPS files?

<p>hehehehe

Sorry just a couple more questions to ask.

A mate of mine has a Garmin 705, and he has loads of saved routes, would his saved routes work with the Garmin 500?

He was showing me a saved route @ Giba, and showed spot where it had taken a location every 1 sec, does the 500 do this as well?

When you say breadcrumbs, will it tell me to turn at a specific point? How does the directions actually work?

Sorry just a couple more questions to ask.

A mate of mine has a Garmin 705, and he has loads of saved routes, would his saved routes work with the Garmin 500?

He was showing me a saved route @ Giba, and showed spot where it had taken a location every 1 sec, does the 500 do this as well?

When you say breadcrumbs, will it tell me to turn at a specific point? How does the directions actually work?

It should work...ask him to upload to garmin connect and then you can download as a course from there.

Yes the 500 takes can take a reading every second but by default it is set to smart capture, its just a setting in the device that you toggle...makes your data more accurate

Yes the arrow points left or right when you get to a turn, it is very sensitive. so lets say you get to a junction, the breadcrumbs will show you that you will have to turn left for example as well as the arrow. There is nothing else on the screen except the breadcrumbs...ie little dots of the route you are riding / must follow...it doesnt show anything else

The 500 stores its files as .fit types, but you can download from garmin connect as a .gpx even if you uploaded it as a .fit, I am not sure in what format the Brytons store their files.

PS, garmin connect is hondnaai as a data analysis tool, it loses it flavour very quickly. Get Sporttracks or Training Peaks as an aftermarket analysis tool. The data comes alive so to speak with the plugins in Sporttracks...speedwall is my favourite.

far left field option here is, depending on what phone you have, you can get an app for it.

I know for BB and iPhone there are a few available.

I use cyclemeter for iPhone, and they have recently added support for the Wahoo HRM and speed sensors.

Where would I order a second bike mount, and do I need anything else for the second bike?( ie: sensors on the wheel etc) So I can interchange.

Sorry for the extra questions :whistling:

You get 2 or 3 with you bundle and a kakhuis full of elastics. But you can buy it as a seperate item on CRC for 100 bucks or so.

<p>You dont get 2 speed/cadence sensor units though, but I would put that on the race bike where you want cadence and just fit the unit by itself on your training bike....it will still get speed readings via GPS if it can't pick up the sensor. I dont even bother with my cadence sensor to be honest. Its just sitting in a checkers bag in my cycling stuff box. That is the beauty of these gps devices...no m