Best place to buy Oakleys?

gadget

I feel a little bit violated by what I'm reading here.

You're welcome to spend your own money on whatever you want, but it's not the same when medical aid money is getting used so you can look cool. Welcome to enlighten me on how I've got it wrong here.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How strong is your prescription? I was thinking of some prescription Radars, but my optometrist thought that the script for my left eye might make the lenses too thick for the frames. I'm short-sighted and need a -3.25 strength lens for that eye.

I'm -2 in my right eye(stigmatism), Im borderline for them being to thick. Its hit or miss really, its been a lenghty process of elimination as they have to check every frame to see if it can work or not.

I've been looking into this for months already :lol: Finally getting there, a few more weeks and I'll be a happy man, just in time for summer

How strong is your prescription? I was thinking of some prescription Radars, but my optometrist thought that the script for my left eye might make the lenses too thick for the frames. I'm short-sighted and need a -3.25 strength lens for that eye.

My prescription is mild. I'm sure the website I used would be able to tell you whether they can accommodate your prescription before you order.

You're welcome to spend your own money on whatever you want, but it's not the same when medical aid money is getting used so you can look cool. Welcome to enlighten me on how I've got it wrong here.

Have no fear, Steve CT. If you re-read my post you will see that I claimed from my medical savings account. That is does not form part of the normal medical scheme. It is my money and is not subsidised by other scheme members. There is no violation.

As for looking cool, I happen to think that Radars and Jawbones are rather ridiculous-looking glasses. But they are among the best-fitting sunglasses I've tried on. I got them so that I can see clearly and in comfort while I'm riding. I certainly wouldn't flaunt them on the beach as a fashion accessory, for example...

Some medical aids pay for prescription sunglasses anyway. Doubt it is a case of looking cool only... In fact Jules saved the aid a wad of cash, since they would have bought locallyat a much higher price. Or am I missing something?

Its not about looking cool as such, but rather being able to see properly, yeah the funds come out my medical savins, you can use it to spend as you like.

How do you not know we/ I don't have an issues with my/ his eyes and HAVE to wear sunnies. Don't understand why you feel violated when the Medical Aid think its OK.

Oakleys are purely functional?

c'mon pull the other one.

I'm not going to get dragged into the debate of how the scheme is structured, but its definitely not the intention for an MSA to be used on high end sunglasses. If you hardly use it and it's the only way to recover your 'lost' inputs then you're on the wrong scheme.

I'm not going to get dragged into the debate of how the scheme is structured, but its definitely not the intention for an MSA to be used on high end sunglasses. If you hardly use it and it's the only way to recover your 'lost' inputs then you're on the wrong scheme.

Then why make the comment? Still don't know why you have an issue with how people choose to spend their medical savings.

Edited by Caerus

Would you care to suggest an alternative pair of prescription sunglasses suitable for cycling available at the price I quoted?

In the second half of your response, you try and convert your claim that you've been violated into a completely new allegation, namely that I might not be putting my scheme's MSA to its best use.

Would you care to suggest an alternative pair of prescription sunglasses suitable for cycling available at the price I quoted?

i can't because i would have a clue. if that really is market rate then there is a huge business opportunity.

In the second half of your response, you try and convert your claim that you've been violated into a completely new allegation, namely that I might not be putting my scheme's MSA to its best use.

medical aid fraud is huge.

sunglasses are just one part of it. no need to get too defensive, thousands of people claim medical aid on sunnies, many of them bogus. it's almost acceptable practice, and that's my gripe.

MSA is your money, not the medical aids. If you leave, it gets paid to you. You can even claim for your plasters or womens san pads if you buy it from a chemist. I stand on almost R15000 in my savings and I think I can use it to get a snazzy pair of glasses. Just get it from an optometrist.

Just get it from an optometrist.

Preferably an overseas one - otherwise you will be nursing third degree wallet burns, which are not covered by the scheme or the MSA!

Jules, thanks for the info. Presumably you had to submit a prescription to the online guys? How did this work?

Jules, thanks for the info. Presumably you had to submit a prescription to the online guys? How did this work?

When you register on the site they ask you for your prescription.