Joburg Triathlon

Rolling Thunder

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bike leg was very easy, even with the wind. The run was also not too bad, prefer water sachets though. I'd say this wasn't too hard :) about the same level as the Energade ones (except you can cheat in those, so they're probably easier)

Haha yes, but they are soooo short..... The problem with BSG (although I do all of them) is that it is normally an 5 hour operation for 1 hours racing

I really enjoyed the event. Had a decent swim and cycle but an terrible run due to a rookie mistake that screwed up my whole race. I drank too much on the bike and started the run with a stomach full of water/32GI sloshing around with every step. Will have to learn to manage my hydration in the heat a bit better.

I really enjoyed the event. Had a decent swim and cycle but an terrible run due to a rookie mistake that screwed up my whole race. I drank too much on the bike and started the run with a stomach full of water/32GI sloshing around with every step. Will have to learn to manage my hydration in the heat a bit better.

The thing is with these distances you should drink a lot on the first three laps of the bike. Then just before transition take a few sips and then run. On the run only use the water to stay cool and take a small sip or two each lap. You cannot really dehydrate on 10km of running barring that you dont start dehydrated in the first place.

Or thats my view in any case. Also dont drink too much sweet stuff during the race.

With the abundance of 32GI at this particular race, one must be careful! Low GI stuff is great for Ironman but sucks for Sprint/Olympic. I take in my low GI stuff in the first 3 laps (spread evenly) so I agree with that advice. On the last lap I took in a gel - pretty much for the run. I finished my water at the 35km mark on the bike but that was ok since I knew there was a water point at the start of the run. Then on the run, one cup of water per lap and a bit of that nice tasting 32GI chew on the first lap (it takes time to digest). That worked for me. 10km without water would probably kill me :) I need a lot of water normally.. I've trained the body to cool itself for the hot days.

The 32GI at such a short event was really weird and they went quite overboard but I'm not complaining. Without title sponsors, we wouldn't have these events. I know they are looking for title sponsors for 5150 so that we can have more events. You'd think the entrants would be sponsoring enough with the entry fees but that's another topic.

With the abundance of 32GI at this particular race, one must be careful! Low GI stuff is great for Ironman but sucks for Sprint/Olympic. I take in my low GI stuff in the first 3 laps (spread evenly) so I agree with that advice. On the last lap I took in a gel - pretty much for the run. I finished my water at the 35km mark on the bike but that was ok since I knew there was a water point at the start of the run. Then on the run, one cup of water per lap and a bit of that nice tasting 32GI chew on the first lap (it takes time to digest). That worked for me. 10km without water would probably kill me :) I need a lot of water normally.. I've trained the body to cool itself for the hot days.

The 32GI at such a short event was really weird and they went quite overboard but I'm not complaining. Without title sponsors, we wouldn't have these events. I know they are looking for title sponsors for 5150 so that we can have more events. You'd think the entrants would be sponsoring enough with the entry fees but that's another topic.

Hi Guys

Just some input, agreed about the water, I am a triathlete myself and the only time I take in an energy drink or chews would be on the bike, on the run its just water to pour over my head I hardly hydrate. however with that said not everyone does 2hour triathlons and the last finishers came in at around 4 hours, so both water and the 32Gi were needed. We also had a higher GI 32Gi there for those wanting more of a boost, but I dont think this notice went out to the participants before the event, will make sure for the next event it is done.

So improvements for event 2 on our part will be the following:

NO CUPS - :-)

We are going to look at putting both water and 32Gi in sachets so the athletes can grab either water or 32Gi and run, it is far more convenient and will be much better accepted. At the end of the race our new RTD which we launched yesterday will be the recovery drink, and hopefully more flavour variety, this was our first bottling take, by the way for those that dont know the RTD is not the same as the powder, it has 3 carbohydrates, providing recovery and stability, and can be used for both racing and recovery.

Let me know if you think this will solve the issues on the run, I personally think it will work very well.

all the best

M

PS: that recovery drink at the end was fantastic! Loved it! I downed a Litre :-) I didn't check the bottle labelling though, what is the GI and what are the carbs? Maltodextrin? Can we get the info somewhere?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, no cups. Cups are never a good idea. Though they seem to persist with them in some big races (even New York City Marathon).

Perhaps if it is hot on 5 Feb - water sachets + 32GI sachets + sponges :-)

The RTD, has a combination of our stability carb and pure glucose with some other goodies, its in the upper end of the low GI scale, we made sure to provide enough fast releasing carb for recovery, but also for hydration and stability, its been tested for 7 months before we decided to go to launch, stay tuned, the proper packaging it coming out soon ;-), the bottle is also our own design and mould and we put it through the paces of running marathons with it in our hands to see how suitable it was for child, athlete, and general consumer ;-). We want to make sure everything goes well.

The RTD, has a combination of our stability carb and pure glucose with some other goodies, its in the upper end of the low GI scale, we made sure to provide enough fast releasing carb for recovery, but also for hydration and stability, its been tested for 7 months before we decided to go to launch, stay tuned, the proper packaging it coming out soon ;-), the bottle is also our own design and mould and we put it through the paces of running marathons with it in our hands to see how suitable it was for child, athlete, and general consumer ;-). We want to make sure everything goes well.

I'm jealous, I want your job :) Testing stuff out for marathons. Sounds fun!

Sounds good, will keep an eye out for the launch

Really enjoyed the race!! :clap:

Swim was great and probably one off my better swims in my very short Triathlon "career", maybe because it was so cold I just wanted to get it done.. :lol:

Bike was nice but I did not feel good at all...no power in the legs..and the Run I just took easy. Was Nice to get back into the tri-season with a race like this!

Maybe I should start doing some Brick sessions again..

Maybe you guys can help.Why do I struggle so much to get going on the bike after the swim?My hrt is always high like hell even when I don't push and takes some time to settle and my legs feel like jelly?I don't have this problem with duathlons?

Also loved the 32Gi in a bottle at the end!

Ps. did you guys see the speed that guy with the kid in the Canoe swims? I stayed with him for most of the first lap and then went ahead of him but he still got out of the water in under 30min for a 1.5km swim dragging a canoe!!Strong!!

Edited by nochain

Maybe I should start doing some Brick sessions again..

Maybe you guys can help.Why do I struggle so much to get going on the bike after the swim?My hrt is always high like hell even when I don't push and takes some time to settle and my legs feel like jelly?I don't have this problem with duathlons?

Normal brick will help. Also, run slower to the mount line (or walk - and maybe also walk from the water to T1). Set your bike on the small ring front i.e. very easy gear. Try do the first 500m at about 85-90 cadence and take it slow then slowly start gearing up at the same cadence. When you are on the big ring, start with the cadence management :) In the end, you will need to be pretty bike strong to start fast.. so it comes down to training. Better to ease in anyway, else you will just cramp. It's all about pacing.

I'm a believer of single leg training on the indoor trainer. Made the world of difference for me. I'm not a fast cyclist but I did a ridiculous bike split (by my standards) yesterday. Just over an hour (which without cheating means it was a FLAT course I think).

Luckily the cycle start was on a downhill.. at 70.3 and IMSA it's uphill on the way out after the swim. Even tougher.

Joburg triathlon very well organized, no complaints from me, if you arrive late well then you not gonna get a nice spot. Best you get up earlier Garfield laugh.gif

I must get a wetsuit though froze my fricken nuts off in that water. I thought 5150 was bad but germies was really cold. It was so cold my body went into shock I almost had to get some help in the first 100m. Instead of doing a nice easy 30m in the water it took me 40 mins sad.gif to finish