Joburg Triathlon

Rolling Thunder

I'm not really one to complain about goodie bags but but wtf is up with the Joburg Tri "goodie" bags. I expected something special after the promotional material highlighting how cool these will be with content worth over R800.... and whats with that "technical running shirt" (aka vest) :thumbdown:

Lets hope the race is better and lives up to the expectations created.

You see Gunston the thing is that you do get R800 and you can actually get even more value out of the goodie bag.

There is a 25% discount voucher on a meal at Primi Piatti. Just ensure you rack up a bill of a few thousand and you could easily make up R800!

Also you get a R1.000 discount if you buy that bicycle at Troisports which probably cost R40.000.

No really I agree its a crap goody bag. Never create an expectation that you cannot fullfill. Rather say from the start not to expect too much. They have conned me into entering for this race under the idea that I will score R800!! (as I wanted to enter the Rand Water Race rather)

Fat chance I will enter the other 2 overcharged Troi Triathlons coming up. This is not how we do business guys........

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do we normally do with goody bags?

I first chuck out all the vouchers, have yet to find a voucher that really creates any value except one that says 100% Discount on anything you Buy.

Then I proceed to eat anything that looks edible, that includes the majority of stuff that has allready expired, hence the reason why they are in the bag.

If I survive eating all the expired stuff I investigate the other stuff normally samples, and then evaluate the potential value add , normally ends up at zero, this is also then turfed.

If you are lucky enough to get a T-shirt that fits (last surprise was 5150 where the Small was more X-LARGE)which is then investigated for: will this do as a training shirt? and most of the time mine end up still in the plastic in my sports closet.

So in short SWAG always ends up in some form of disappointment, so why try to create false value and rather give us the option to forego the Goody Bag and Medal and drop the entry fee.That topic has been discussed to death before.

If you were really getting R800 in value then the logic applies that that if you do not take the goody bag u save the organisers R800 that they can put towards the free entry....Logical?

What do we normally do with goody bags?

I first chuck out all the vouchers, have yet to find a voucher that really creates any value except one that says 100% Discount on anything you Buy.

Then I proceed to eat anything that looks edible, that includes the majority of stuff that has allready expired, hence the reason why they are in the bag.

If I survive eating all the expired stuff I investigate the other stuff normally samples, and then evaluate the potential value add , normally ends up at zero, this is also then turfed.

If you are lucky enough to get a T-shirt that fits (last surprise was 5150 where the Small was more X-LARGE)which is then investigated for: will this do as a training shirt? and most of the time mine end up still in the plastic in my sports closet.

So in short SWAG always ends up in some form of disappointment, so why try to create false value and rather give us the option to forego the Goody Bag and Medal and drop the entry fee.That topic has been discussed to death before.

If you were really getting R800 in value then the logic applies that that if you do not take the goody bag u save the organisers R800 that they can put towards the free entry....Logical?

I think the organisers ask the entry price they want. THen afterwards they look for sponsors. The goodie bag doenst cost them anything really (accept for the T-shirt).

But lying and telling us we are getting R800's worth of ****, buit not dislosing that it means spending R40.000 on a bike to realise the "R800" is almost just as good as fraud.

Seriously I was not going to enter becuase its too expensive, but when I saw the bull***t R800 story I did.

They sure caught me out. Never again.

Oh and a 3 month old trı mag that we all have already read does not count for R40. There better be lekker prızes and I better wın one!

I see the start time for the race on Sunday is 10h30. This means we gonna run in the heat of the day ! This is something that always gets me. I used to do my runs early in the morning then on race day I always wondered why I suffered so much on the run. I kinda figured its a heat thing. So I have changed my routine so my runs are always early or late afternoon to get used to running in the heat. So I guess we will see how I feel Sunday lunch time doing that 10k.

I see the start time for the race on Sunday is 10h30. This means we gonna run in the heat of the day ! This is something that always gets me. I used to do my runs early in the morning then on race day I always wondered why I suffered so much on the run. I kinda figured its a heat thing. So I have changed my routine so my runs are always early or late afternoon to get used to running in the heat. So I guess we will see how I feel Sunday lunch time doing that 10k.

No bud hottest part of the day is 2pm so unless you swim and bike really slow you should not be in the heat of the day. Just drink every water point and you will be fine. Bela Bela 5150 we started at 13:15 then you know what heat of the day is all about. I'm very happy for a 10am start. More worried that the forecast is for rain on Saturday and we all know what that does to the water quality of Germiston Lake.

Wetsuit legal? Or you think will be too warm?

Water is apparently 18 so it will be your choice - I am not going to win this thing so transition is minor for me, I'll take the extra 30 seconds and wear my wetsuit :blink:

Edited by The Saint

I am definately going to take my Wetsuit!

Start 10h30... 40min swim... 90min bike means it will be around 1 pm when I run which is hot.

Are you sure about 14h00? I though 12pm was.

Anycase bring it on..... Hopefully I can do a 45minute run in anycase.

Sun is at its peak by 12pm but hottest part of the day is 2pm - takes some time for those rays to heat up the earths surface :) - dude you will be well out the water before 40 mins and 1h30 mins on that bike course is not going to happen, I reckon you will be finished by 1pm - give it horns :clap:

People can say what they want, that Germiston water was fantastic today! So nice, clean and clear. Easy to see people in front of you. Hopefully Roodeplaat is as clean next Sunday! They could have waited for us to get in the water before sounding the horn, but ok.

People can say what they want, that Germiston water was fantastic today! So nice, clean and clear. Easy to see people in front of you. Hopefully Roodeplaat is as clean next Sunday! They could have waited for us to get in the water before sounding the horn, but ok.

Wait until tomorrow when you grow an extra finger an toe :lol:

Wait until tomorrow when you grow an extra finger an toe :lol:

You know I had half an eye on the floor looking for the large barbel in the photos ;-)

What was up with the small transition area? Had to put my bike against a friggen tree. If the entry was not R500 I would not have complained.

JoburgCityTri JoburgCityTri

Thanks to all athletes, well done on a great effort. Please email us joburgcitytri@gmail.com any suggestions on improvements. See you 5 Feb!

I will be complaining about the crappy Transition area (not level, no space, rubbish bike stands) - whereas the Sprint area was quite nice. That as well as the poorly organised swim start and ridiculous turnaround point (Had to dodge a guy who fell trying to turn, not his fault I would think). Other than that, all good :-)

I enjoyed the race, the turn around points on the bike were a little tight and I quiet enjoyed the fact that I could put my bike against a tree away from all the other clutter.

This was my first triathlon, I take it that this is regarded as one of the easier ones?