"Commuter" on a Trek Madone.

CorrieG

On Suturday on my way back up HP just before Doreen Rd, I saw something that didn't make sense. A guy dressed in normal clothes, no helmet and no cycling shoes past me from the opposite direction. The strange thing was that he was on a Trek Madone! Now if he was a regular cyclist using his machine to go to work or shopping, surely he would at least wear his helmet or shoes? Unfortunetly there was too much traffic to turn around to go after him but I often use that route and will look out for him. 

• 2 weeks later...

I often ride my Giant TCR Comp with slops and normal clothes.  Keo's are wide enough pedals to ride on without a problem especially over short distances.  The only item I may wear are my shoes the ride is a bit hilly.

Maybe it was one of the BPMeat boys delivering meat

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Colombian, I think you deserve the Joke of the Day award for that! I'm still canning myself!

ClapClapClap

Unfortunetly there was too much traffic to turn around to go after him but I often use that route and will look out for him. 

And then what? Take the/his bike?

Unfortunetly there was too much traffic to turn around to go after him but I often use that route and will look out for him. 

And then what? Take the/his bike?

after the dude on the bike dressed so un-athletic he'd have the right to affirmative-shop the bike! LOL

I often drive to work past a township. Its amazing how many "commuters" are riding expensive bikes.

I often drive to work past a township. Its amazing how many "commuters" are riding expensive bikes.

I hope you're not calling Magaliesig a township!!! Angry

So is expensive bikes only for people that do not live in "townships"?

On Suturday on my way back up HP just before Doreen Rd' date=' I saw something that didn't make sense. A guy dressed in normal clothes, no helmet and no cycling shoes past me from the opposite direction. The strange thing was that he was on a Trek Madone! Now if he was a regular cyclist using his machine to go to work or shopping, surely he would at least wear his helmet or shoes? Unfortunetly there was too much traffic to turn around to go after him but I often use that route and will look out for him. 

[/quote']

So this means I am not allowed to send my gardener to the garage to buy petrol for the lawnmower with my TREK Madone? Surely I am not going to kit my gardener out with cycling clothes first, then send him?

This thread was started by a troll who got the idea for his supposed sighting from a Cape-based MTB e-mail list. You'll notice that our hero never reported back on his promised stake-out and that no-one claimed to have lost a Trek whassisname in the last month or so.

It should be seen for the thinly-veiled racist discussion it is and ignored. In many, many years of craning my neck at every single cyclist on the road, I've only seen low end bikes or very old racers, the likes of Alpina or Hansom, all bikes their original owners have passed down to real bicycle commuters.

This doesn't mean that none of those bikes were stolen, just as it doesn't mean that any of the bikes in your peloton weren't stolen. However, starting a rumour of fancy bikes riding around townships does nothing for our psyche, race relations, your karma and the public's paranoia.  Stop it.

Johan Bornman2007-12-18 03:03:28